close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best way to carry while hiking/camping?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by undercover500, Oct 28, 2017.

1. undercover500

undercover500

Been looking at guns for carry when hiking and camping, and I've finally decided on the Glock 29 10mm.

Now I just need to find a good way to carry it. One of my criteria for a hiking gun was that it needs to be small enough to conceal, so I need a holster system that is easily concealed. I could easily carry a 4" GP100 or 686 OWB or in a chest holster, but I much prefer to carry concealed.

My holster criteria are:
    1. Concealed carry only (no open carry). I have my CCW permit and I like to use it. Even though I'll be in the woods, I prefer to conceal. This means some sort of OWB holster I can conceal with a untucked shirt, IWB or OWB clip on, paddle holster, fanny pack, etc.
    2. Easy on/off. Especially for camping, in the middle of the night for bathroom trips if I'm wearing sweatpants, I don't want to have to put my belted pants back on just to go to the bathroom. If I'm wearing sweatpants is there a way to carry a regular holster? Could I get a standalone belt and just wear it over my pants and carry that way?
    3. Comfortable. Self explanatory.

That's pretty much it. I was thinking IWB holster like the Crossbreed supertuck but I usually carry a pack when I'm hiking so it might be uncomfortable, get in the way and impede my draw. OWB would work, but I have to thread my belt through it, so that brought me to a paddle holster but if I'm not mistaken, they stick out a bit and are harder to conceal. I was thinking a fanny pack made for concealed carry, but...it's a fanny pack. I'd use one if I had no other choice though.

What is your advice?

Thanks,
    Nick

2. Gunboat1

Gunboat1 A.F.A.M.

Eagle Industries WFP fanny pack. Been using them for decades for cycling, kayaking, hiking and outdoor chores. They wear like iron.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 2:24 PM

3. Kifaru

Kifaru

Fanny if you’re surrounded by anti gun freaks. If you’re out in the boonies keep it on your hip where you can get to it.

Borg Warner likes this.
  4. -JCN-

-JCN-

5. dartor

dartor

6. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

The G29 is short enough that it can be carried either IWB or OWB strong side and concealed with an untucked outer garment such as a shirt or vest.

With a kydex holster that has a forward cant worn strong side at about 3:30 right above your wallet, the firearm can be accessed very quickly when needed.

For getting up at night to take a leak, either sleep with your pants on or put them on to take a leak, or piss in a bottle.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  7. NoStress

NoStress

8. TexasRonin

TexasRonin

Two holsters, fortunately they're not expensive:

1) Glock sport holster for about $15. OWB holster that keeps the gun close to the body.

2) Sticky holster for quick on/off at the campsite. This is used for appendix carry.

You might find the sticky is all you need. I've used one for a couple of years with a Glock 26 and it's very comfortable for me. The only issue is the sweat.

FWIW, another holster that works great for me (with a Shield 45) is the Stealthgear Revolution.

I modified my revolution to ride a little lower by replacing one of the belt loops with a longer aftermarket one I bought on Amazon. The longer replacement had the added benefit of slightly canting the holster so that it follows the contour of where my leg meets my torso.

undercover500 and G27GenFour like this.
  9. dubito

dubito

Crossbreed makes a modular bellyband that works well. I ordered the applicable holsters for all of my carry guns.

10. tundracamper

tundracamper

I shortened the neck strap on an Orvis Chip Pack chest pack and replaced the buckles so I can connect it to my backpack. It will carry up to a G20 in the slot closest to my chest. There is another bigger pouch for my phone, camera, etc. The back of the pack appears more water resistant than the HPG bags, which I thought were too big and hot. To me, the Orvis looks entirely "recreational," while options like the HPG look too "tactical." While I haven't worn it hiking, I have taken it on several trips. In fact, I wore it all around in a small town yesterday - before I saw the signs stating the city prohibited firearms on city property. Nobody said a word to me. I can provide more info on the buckles and backpack straps, which are from HPG, if you want. The whole thing was right around $100. (Oh, I do have a trigger holster when carrying a G20 or a regular holster for something like a G19 so the gun is not floating around in the slot with the trigger exposed.)

http://m.orvis.com/store/product.as...GrRYp2H7dbxhBoCAAMQAvD_BwE&item_code=14ZK2100

undercover500 likes this.
  11. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

on the exterior of a small sling pack ( inside its own modular pouch). Gun on one side, first aid kit on the other.

12. undercover500

undercover500

Thanks all for the replies, I will have to look into all of your recommendations

13. undercover500

undercover500

I will have to look into belly band holsters, do they sit at your waistline or farther up? I was thinking I could wear it around where the top of my pants end so the top of the belly bend as at the top of my belt so that it’s as close to a normal draw as possible, is this correct?

I have looked into chest packs, but I don’t think they’re for me. I don’t know if I could adapt to carry anything on my chest and I think, just my personal idea, that it was draw more attention than a fanny pack, just due to location. I will keep the idea as an option if nothing else pans out because I do like the concept, I just wish it were a bit lower profile because I know the first thing I would think if I saw someone wearing any sort of chest rig, I’d think gun. Fanny pack, I’d think maybe that could be a gun, but it’s probably some dad carrying stuff for his kids or wife anywhere else, or in my situation, a hiker carrying survival gear/first aid kit. To me, fanny pack doesn’t scream gun like some people like to think.

Something of the Maxpedition kind? They have fat boy and similar packs for this purpose

14. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I carry my G29 or G20 almost exclusively on the trail.

I am not as focused on concealed when I am in the sticks. If I am carrying concealed in that setting, it probably is a coincidence with the clothes I am wearing. I have a Miami style shoulder rig for my G20. Again, for the trail, I am not as concealed centric, I like the shoulder rig because it distributes the weight of the loaded gun and spare magazines really well, makes carrying the G20 an easy trip. The fact that it conceals easily under a jacket, coat or zip up fleece is a bonus. The G29 will fit in this rig, but I frankly don't use it that way very often.

The G29 will work on my hip with a simple OWB Kydex holster (like TexasRonin pointed out, the Glock S/C is the deal of the century for this application). Concealing is very easy with a light vest which doubles well for storage for a bottle of deet, sunscreen, etc. If I am wearing a tucked shirt (tee shirt, etc.), I have found a simple MIC and my G29 carried cross draw Mexican style works pretty well, it stays put and is easy to reposition. The teeshirt acts as a sweat guard, keeps the gun off my skin.

Good luck with your search. Buying holsters are like buying fishing tackle, it is a life long pursuit. :)

15. tundracamper

tundracamper

That's why I went with the Orvis. It's a fishing pack and looks "recreational" to me. The pack can be worn pretty low. In fact, I cut the straps so I could adjust for a higher ride on my chest. I do have pouches on my backpack, which works great for a G43. But, when I want something bigger, the Orvis works.

16. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

If this is a limited hike.. I would use a 5.11 moab10 or maxpedition monsoon

17. nursetim

nursetim

18. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Right wing nut Lifetime Member

I used the Kenai chest holster for a week in Alaska. It worked great. The gun is readily accessible but not in your way. You have free use of your arms. I was wearing waders so nothing on my hip would work.

I'm not a whiny baby about comfort. Some people complain the Kenai straps aren't rigid enough. I see people complain a lot about holsters in general, though, so it's hard to tell anything from holster reviews. I liked it and thought it was great.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TQ7JTWS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_Fe5PtTh94WZZ4

They have Glock options.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  19. unit1069

unit1069

I have to say that the Glock Sport/Combat holster has so far been the best one for me to fill the needs you list. It's a real value.

20. dubito

dubito

You can set the Crossbreed bellyband at whichever height you desire. I usually put it at my pant's height.