close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best value - compact digital camera?

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by Jon17, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Jon17

Jon17

I've been looking at compact cameras for about a month now. These are very small and thin -- less than one inch. I want something to put in my pocket. Read a ton of reviews and looked at them in several stores. Think I'm going to go with the Casio Z50, 5 megapixel. Can get it for a lot less than the Z55, which has a bigger LED screen and a better battery.

Does anyone have any thoughts on compact digital cameras? I've went from wanting the Sony T1 to the Canon s500 to the Sony p150 and finally to Casio.

Little shutter lag and long battery life (like 3 times longer) are two of the features swaying me, plus it's smaller than the Canon and Sony p150.

Jon

2. RBR

RBR

I haven't read anything about the Casios. You might check out the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W1. I'm thinking of maybe picking up a Canon S500 in the future. I have a Canon G3,which takes great pictures,but is pretty much the size & heft of a small brick. Would be nice to have something small that you are more likely to carry around.

3. Jon17

Jon17

Thanks for the reply RBR. The DSC-W1 looks like a real nice camera. But it is about an inch and a half thick. Not sure I would carry it around much in the pocket of my jeans.
    It's kind of like my G26. I can carry it in my pocket but a Kahr PM9 is going to be more comfortable.

4. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

I took all of these photos with a Canon S200 Elph Digital..

Enduro ride to Mexico

It's only 2 Megapixels, but takes good photos imho..

I also took it to Europe....

It's been flawless in operation..and is tiny enough for the shirt pocket..

My next one will be the Canon S500 5 megapixel version

5. Jon17

Jon17

Nic pics, Lawdog. I liked the Canon S500 too, but I ordered the Casio Z55 5 megapixels because it's only .9 inches thick. Think I'll carry it more. Of course, the S500 is close at 1.1 inches thick.

6. Ishiguro

Ishiguro

I just ordered the Canon SD200 from Amazon, and scored a 256 MB SD card for $20 the day after Thanksgiving.