Best USAF experience

Discussion in 'The US Air Force Forum' started by TSAX, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Brianharless13

Brianharless13

Basic Training blew at the 3708 BMTS. Met a good group of guys that we later went across base to the Security Police Academy. Had a wonderful time and visiting San Antonio and the hotels. :)
    Air Base Ground Defense rocked but hated Ft. Dixx, New Jersey.

+10 for TSA cause I ended up going to a missile base and it totally sucked and caused me to choose a career change and leave the Air Force.

Would love to be back at Aviano Air Base, Italy. Many pleasurable experiences there.

2. Scamp

Scamp Geaux Tigers!

Best - My 2 years at RAF Lakenheath 82-84

Worse - My 2 years at Blytheville, AR. 84-86

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

3. Jeepnik

Jeepnik

Easy, best and worst were the same place, the same day. Landing at Travis AFB in June 1970. If you gotta ask, you wouldn't understand.

fishhunter3 likes this.
  4. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 NRA Benefactor

The years I spent in the 429 ECS working on the EF-111A as a Comm, Nav, ECM Journeyman

5. Caver 60

Caver 60

Tons of flying experiences. I'll always remember my last T-38 solo ride just before I graduated from undergraduate pilot training. After doing about 15 minutes of acro I rolled out level to check the gages and decided I had just enough fuel to return to base and shoot three touch and goes and a full stop. The base was directly behind me.

I decided to do a split S to get headed back to base. But I had misread the altimeter by 10,000 feet. I was pointed straight at the ground when I thought the ground looked a little too close.

A quick glance in the cockpit revealed my mistake. Quicker than it takes to tell, I pulled both throttles to idle, popped the speed brake, looked at the fuel gage and saw I could pull 7 1/3 G's without over stressing the plane, and set the G meter on 7 1/3 G's. Then I looked outside to see if I was going to pull out of it OK. Fortunately I pulled out with room to spare.

That was the last time I ever misread an altimeter. (In my defense it was the old style altimeter, which was very easy to misread.) I sure didn't tell anybody about that experience for awhile.

6. VA_lockup

VA_lockup

where was that at?

7. Caver 60

Caver 60

Laughlin AFB Texas.

8. jaws48

jaws48

Total of 26 years...it was all good!

9. AFshooter

AFshooter

The best?
    The date of my enlistment until the time of this post.

Tinyman likes this.
  10. freedom790

freedom790

Best times=
    getting all 4 HMMWV tires off the ground
    The first time we took hostile fire "hey guys, are we getting shot at?"
    The day I learned I made E-4 BTZ, the day I learned I made E-5
    Fireteam leader in the missile field
    Some NFL cheerleaders visited Balad, exciting! Then being told my squad had to patrol to SAM and IDF footprint for the duration of their visit. (sarcasm...)
    Some Iraqi kid trying to trade his cow to me for my sunglasses, pen, and M4.

Probably tons more, I've had the best times of my life and met the best people I could ever ask to encounter while enlisted.

11. Morris

Morris CLM

Lots of good to outweigh the bad.

Oddly enough, best memory is sitting in my rig at OP-13 at YTC, waiting for a passing thunderstorm so that we could do CAS training again. Just the quiet, austere environment, pallet humming along, lightning strikes on the knuckles a few miles away. Rainier clear to the west. Wondering if I would get electrocuted since I left the antennas up. But wonderfully peaceful.

12. DonMerlin

DonMerlin

+1 on this. Seems like I just got started and one day I was retired. Now I have been retired longer than I was in. :fred:

13. riata2

riata2

Best = enlisted USAF July 1961
    Worst = Basic training in TX July to Sept. 1961
    Best = promoted to E3 with 8 months and 3 weeks time in grade 1962
    Worst = still E3 when discharged in Feb 1965
    Best got GI bill for education and housing help
    Now = use VA for my health care = getting old

14. 98LS-WON

98LS-WON

LMAO, hopefully you had your leotard on...:tongueout:

acrobatics plural of ac·ro·bat·ics
    Noun
    Gymnastic feats.

I have always given my students a ration a crap for calling it that. I think my highlight was getting to FAC(A) one of my former T-37 students flying A-10's in Korea...or it could be any number TDY's to Nellis.

15. Illini_Glock

Illini_Glock USAF Veteran

Agree with all of that.

16. Lord

Lord Senior Member

Clinical at Davis Monthan, AZ Was a good time.

17. Turn4811

Turn4811

I was headed to Cairo West for a Bright Star flying in style in a C5. We lost an engine on take off. During in-flight refuel we lost another engine. The pilots decide to land in Rota Spain and sucked some birds into one of the remaining engines while landing. There are no C5 parts or mechanics in Rota. Mechanics and engines had to be flown in and it was a 5 day wait on them. Another 4 days to swap the engines. One engine did not pass QA and we basically got another week in Rota on full per diem while staying in the BOC and on the economy.

We finally make it to Cairo. We have a full bird with our group. He does not do anything but run the grill at lunch time cooking hamburgers and hotdogs so we don't have to eat MRE's at lunch - he is retiring in 90 days after the end of the mission so he is the most laid back officer I have ever seen. The camp intramurals for volleyball are in full swing and it comes down to us and the fire department for the championship. We blow away the fire department and they are not happy. The next day during our lunchtime BBQ the firetruck rolls up to our gate. The Fire Department Chief hollers out to the Colonel who has his blouse and hat off while working the grill. The Chief and the Colonel are talking through the fence and it starts to get heated as the Colonel informs the Chief that he doesn't have a good grasp on the situation and he is not going to come through our gate to shut down our grill. The Chief went nuts and somewhere in his tirade he called the Colonel "Sergent". The Colonel took it and when the Chief drew a breath the Colonel said he would grab his blouse and come out the ECP so he and the Chief could escalate it. He put his blouse and hat on while in the ECP and when he walked out all of the color that was in the Chief's face drained when he saw those birds. The Chief snapped a salute, apologized for the misunderstanding, and told us to have a good BBQ. Fun times in JCSE.

18. sleepdirt

sleepdirt

Being stationed at RAF Croughton 1981-1983

19. hudson69

hudson69

Meeting my wife, a fellow SP.

20. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 "Cynical Little me"

Back in the 70's we did a lot of drinking so its kinda hazy. It seemed the worse place they sent you the more fun you had.