Best type of bullet

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by kalashnikovluvr, Aug 10, 2005.

1. kalashnikovluvr

kalashnikovluvr

What type of bullet would work best for hunting, Hollow point, soft point, round nose, FMJ, solids, etc.

2. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

Depends on what you are hunting.

3. noway

noway

agreed.

A good bullet for deer might be the wrong bullet for elk or bear. Also what are you firing from ( carbine/revolver/rifle/etc.....)

4. kalashnikovluvr

kalashnikovluvr

Deer mainly, outta a rifle, .30 caliber weapons

5. stevelyn

stevelyn NRA Life Member

For deer all the way up to black bears and large caribou, in standard calibers, any of the off-the-shelf 150 gr soft points will work very well. Flat based bullets tend to hold together better than the boat-tails.

Boat-tails have an energy advantage at long range (read beyond 300 yrds) due to their reduced drag.

6. Craigster

Craigster

Easy question, easy answer.....……...an accurate one.

In my case I shoot a Win 300 HH mag for both Elk and deer with two respective loads. After a year working up those loads my rifle is very accurate using 180 gr Nosler partitions at less than max velocity for Elk and I cant remember the deer load.

Using a rest and one round at 250 yards, the last Elk I killed fell dead in his tracks. Same story for the last deer at 100 yards.

Point is, many factors are relative to each other when it comes to reloading and gets even more complicated when developing a killing round. The best bullet wont do any good, and could be bad, if "it don’t go where ya point it”. If you would post more info here you might find someone who has done some work with a similar rifle and hunting situation.

For factory ammo Id try Federal Premium. Its spendy with quality components and can be consistently accurate.

If you are going to role your own, best get started now.

7. 357glocker

357glocker

For any deer sized game a medium weight soft point (powerpoint, corelock, ect) will do fine if you don't want to spend alot of money for deer ammo. I switched to Nosler Ballistic Tips a few years ago and am very impressed with the results. They can be a little pricey if you don't reload them though.