·
Registered
8,664 Posts
The gravy made from pan drippin's.

Reactions: flyover

·
NRA Member
2,698 Posts
Got another hour or so to go for the 12 pound bird in the oven.

I always cook the "giblets" along with the bird and enjoy them first while the bird is cooling down for carving.

The neck is usually an evening snack.

I like the dark meat the most. Breast meat usually get carved up for sammiches.

What's your favorite part of the poor old bird??
Pretty much the same in our house

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Well if I have to eat Turkey, my top choices would be.

#1 Skin

#2 Pope's Nose, or what old landlord call pert that's goes over fence last. Tail feather holder.

#3 Legs - Dark Meat.

·
Registered
235 Posts
When I'm drunk enough (and I'm working on it now) I'll eat any part, including that which goes over the fence last.

·
17,609 Posts
When it comes to a roasted bird, the drumstick's the only part I really want to eat. Same with chicken. One of the best things for me every time we've ever gone to Disney parks for vacation is how they sell the smoked turkey legs.

Turkey breast ... meh. Boar's Head makes a decent sandwich meat out of it.
I don't like white meat either. It'ds too dry and has very little flavor. The drumsticks have the good dark meat but it also has all those bony tendons. Thighs are all meat and more of it. Chicken drumsticks are just as good as the thighs and legs and thighs are the best part of the chicken.

Chicken breast meat is not bad as long as it isn't overcooked. But turkey breasts are always overcooked after being baked in an oven.

·
Native Mainiac
20,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I didn't see "carcass". My wife always makes a big pot of soup afterward.
Outstanding.
I've never tried to do the soup deal. But I do like taking the carcass after I've gotten the meat off of it, and jamming it down on top or a small pine tree at the top of my driveway. It's great fun to see the crows and blue jays picking away at it. By the next morning, there's not even a grease stain left.

·
Registered
13,487 Posts
Don't like any of it.
Mrs N and I had a pork loin. Pretty good.
Sad that the fam damily couldn't be here this year.

·
Come on man!!
14,806 Posts

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
If your turkey breast meat is dry, you're cooking your turkey wrong. Of course, we rarely buy whole turkeys anymore. We just get the breast. When we do get a whole turkey, which we will do if we're having company, the raccoons usually end up with the dark meat leftovers and the carcass.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts