Best time to buy a furnace and AC?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Maxthemutt, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Maxthemutt

Maxthemutt

$5600 for the Goodman also gets the $400 rebate.

Interesting differences are the Rheem guy wanted to increase the size of the return plenum and put a liner in the chimney for the hot water heater.

2. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

If you go from an 80% furnace to a 90% furnace and still have a natural draft water heater you really do need to add a chimney liner. You are halving the BTU output into the chimney and that calls for a smaller chimney for it to draft correctly without condensing in the chimney.

Without the calculations a larger return drop may or may not be called for.

3. njl

njl Crusty Member

BTW...for any AC experts here, what are your thoughts on UV lights in the air handler? I got talked into them, and think I've noticed a "feature" nobody warns about. My air handlers stand upright in an upstairs closet, and the coils are like an inverted V. There are 2 lights in each air handler, AFAIK, one inside the inverted V, one above. The one inside the V shines on the "inside" of the V, but also down at the air filter. I haven't always been great about changing the filters on a regular basis, but I'm trying to be better now with the new units, and it looks like I have another reason now. The units were installed with cheap spun fiberglass filters. I ordered "better" pleated filters and swapped out the fiberglass ones as soon as the better ones arrived. About 2 months later, I replaced the first set of pleated filters and found that the UV light has been attacking the filters. They're discolored, and much more delicate (I could put my finger through it). It's got me wondering if, when the bulbs die, it's really worth having them replaced?

4. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

UV lights... They can serve a purpose, but they are good padding to add profit to an install.

If you have a one inch filter. DO NOT USE any type of anti allergen filter. Buy the cheapest pleated filters you can. You should be able to almost see through them. Cheaper the better. Any thing that removes smaller particles doesn't flow enough air through them.

5. sourdough44

sourdough44

Your A/C took a dump, furnace still ok, 91 vintage? Why do anything? We are about done with cooling for the year, wait until Spring for the a/c, do research.

At the most, have a furnace checkup. Ours is still just fine, 1996. Just sit tight.

6. nsl

nsl

Bump as this has my interest.
    I currently have central heat, have never had central air (only window units), and am just about tired of being uncomfortable.
    This is an older house, and the ducts need replacing, etc.
    Would you recommend a central system, or mini split?
    If I go central, should I go full electric or gas?
    My heater is gas, but also electric, so I'm screwed either way when the power is out.

7. Blanton

Blanton

Others have stated the obvious. The best time to but a snow blower or rock salt isn't the day before a predicted major snowstorm. The items you mentioned break during the heaviest workloads; furnace in the winter, A/C in the summer. Same for everyone else and they're all buying then. Smart money buys in the off season.

8. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

Why do you need to replace ducts?

I would always say go with a split system. Mini splits are great, but I wouldn't use them outside special circumstances. AKA one or two rooms.

LEO/Dad likes this.
  9. w30olds

w30olds Me fail English? That's unpossible

Would recommend getting it replaced soon as the fall/winter is coming and companies are usually looking for work to keep guys busy. Could perhaps get a good deal this time of year. I’d recommend getting a new Trane system. Get the highest SEER rated model you can afford as these will save you quite a bit of cash with energy savings and some even quality for government refunds.

Or you might look into a nice ductless mini split heat pump setup for your home. They are quiet, energy efficient and affordable. Check Mitsubishi, Diakin, or LG.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  10. dac1204

dac1204

Do them all the time on several brands.

We take the ecm out, install a relay or contactor and its work like a charm.

The board sends the 24 volts to the relay or contactor and that turn the fan on.

11. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

Just curious, what brands? I know it won't work on Carriers and Lennox due to communicating.

12. nsl

nsl

The ducts are undersized, and my house was at one time just a fishing cottage, so things weren’t done right.
    I highly suspect most of this place was built from scrap materials back in the 50’s or 60’s.
    Anyway, house is on a crawl space, so there is plenty of access to the ducts.
    As far as a mini, my house needs ac and heat in every room, so that sounds like it is out.