Glock Talk banner
61 - 80 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
14,820 Posts
Depends on what you are using it for.

I personally picked up a Glock 22 (RTF2 to be specific) just to use up some .40SW I accumulated. Yes I got ammo before the gun LoL.

I am going off list, Glock 22 or HK USP.
I recall reading the S&W also had the ammo before they had a gun to shoot it and that Glock beat them to market with the G22 chambered in S&Ws ,40 ammo.

I have an old gen2 G22. It has been 100% reliable and a load of fun to shoot.

Reactions: JasonC8301

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I recall reading the S&W also had the ammo before they had a gun to shoot it and that Glock beat them to market with the G22 chambered in S&Ws ,40 ammo.

Should update, in the xdm Ellie, 40 seems to run great in the 10mm version.

·
Registered
291 Posts

A result of the FBI looking for a new gun post 1986 shoot out. 10mm was just too strong in recoil for the agents. So SW made a 10mm short, aka .40SW.

I believe the 22/23 came to market before the 20/21???

I have the book titled Glock: The new wave of combat handgun by Kasler somewhere. Pretty interesting read.

·
Premium Member
13,713 Posts
Gen3 g23 or gen3 g27 and g35.

Non glock..non striker fired.

baretta px4 storm compact or full size.
To be honest the px4 storm is very easy to stay on target.
Own a Gen3 g23, g27 and g35/tlr1 but my pxy storm compact Is as if not more accurate and reliable.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I never understood all the 40 hate. If you don't like it or it's not for you? Kool. But I love it. Such a versatile little round. I'm not much for 9mm but I don't hate on it either. I own several but own more 40's. The M&P and Gen 5 Glocks are nice but my Steyr is never far. Smoothest shooting 40 out of any that I own or have owned.
View attachment 1114336
Yeah, i don't get it neither. I'm a huge fan of the .40. I was shooting .40 over here (Europe) before people even knew it existed lol. All in steel framed hammered pistols, but this year i got into the world of strikers, i used to swear i will never own. And i love them now.
And i really don't get this irrational .40 hate. I was always telling my shooter friends they should buy .40, since it's the most popular caliber in America. Little did i know .40 in US is as hated as it's here in Europe. Maybe even more.
When this became a trend? It's really sad.

The three best one shot stoppers proven on the street are .357 Mag 125 JHP, .40 S&W 165 JHP and .357 sig 125. You can't get a better SD round than these.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I've been a 40sw guy since '90- 'or 91 and fired a number of brands and models overe the years swapping pistols at an out door range .

Best 40 to me is a bit of a loaded question . Best chamber in 40sw , easy on brass and faster velocity Kahr tp40 I carried for 7 years till hand surgerys - work related
I real found of M&P pistols . Early generation had no so great triggers but found it easy to improve on a 4.25 40sw with thumb safety . A new performance center 2.0 5" adjustable sight and ported is a very nice shooter with a very smooth 4lb 10 to 12 oz stock trigger . Starting to carry that pistol more often . So for me M&P wins !
SKU: 11825
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Recreation

·
NRA Life Member
73,562 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Best chance to get a new 40SW is Glock. Finding a new pistol in 40 is very rare. Even though it is a very capable caliber and the bees knees for two decades. When the FBI went back to the 9mm, everyone followed like sheeple do. It will only take another FBI outgunned shootout with multiple casualties to blame the caliber and not the training. Then 40 SW and 357 Sig will then be considered the best handgun caliber again. Yes, the sheeple will let go of their 9mms and buy into the 40 hype again.
How is the FBI going to blame a handgun caliber when they are raiding Amish farmers using rifles?

.40 is the least popular of the four major handgun calibers and nothing will change that. Cope,seethe, mald.

·
Enigma
3,374 Posts
Glock 22/23 gen 5
I have a Glock 22.3 and a 22.5
The thicker (heavier) slide on 22 gen 5 softens recoil compared to gen 3.
Shooting a 17.5 then the 22.5 there is subjectively little / no difference in recoil.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The Gen 5 GLOCK .40 S&W's are a game changer! They are the .40 GLOCK should have made from day one instead of shoving the .40 in a 9mm gun. SIG figured this out when they built the P229 around the .40.

The Gen 5 .40 S&W's are markedly smoother and handle better than all the previous generation GLOCKs, and I should know because I carried GLOCKs 22/23/27 professionally for 25 years. Plus, the Gen 5 22/23's function reliably with WML's, something you can't say for the previous gens.

The Gen 5 .40's achieved this through a little thicker slide and the addition of 3 ounces!

So, my choice would be GLOCK 23 but definitely a Gen 5 one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
How is the FBI going to blame a handgun caliber when they are raiding Amish farmers using rifles?

.40 is the least popular of the four major handgun calibers and nothing will change that. Cope,seethe, mald.
It is the least popular because the shooting community have gone soft in the last decade and it mostly consists of new gen limp wristers who can't handle a proper round.
I never pay any attention to what is currently popular, because popularity has never any connection to effectiveness or quality.

3 best self defense rounds ever are the least popular ones. Those are .357 mag (125 JHP), .40 S&W and .357 Sig. What does that tell you? That people simply can't handle a little bit of a snap. If my 14 years old daughter can easily shoot my G22.5 and M&P40 and doesn't complain about any snappiness, then i don't know what to think about grown a%& men who complain they can't be as accurate with .40 as they are with 9mm.
It's really pathetic.

·
Super Moderator
Glock 45/19X
10,633 Posts
USPC .40, and then get a .357 SIG barrel.
That’s what I did, plus a 9mm slide as well for a 3-n-1 pistol. In my opinion it is indeed the best 40 S&W platform out there as long as the person has the skill set for a hammer-fired pistol.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
It is the least popular because the shooting community have gone soft in the last decade and it mostly consists of new gen limp wristers who can't handle a proper round.
I never pay any attention to what is currently popular, because popularity has never any connection to effectiveness or quality.

3 best self defense rounds ever are the least popular ones. Those are .357 mag (125 JHP), .40 S&W and .357 Sig. What does that tell you? That people simply can't handle a little bit of a snap. If my 14 years old daughter can easily shoot my G22.5 and M&P40 and doesn't complain about any snappiness, then i don't know what to think about grown a%& men who complain they can't be as accurate with .40 as they are with 9mm.
It's really pathetic.
calls 9mm shooters soft

shoots neutered 10mm

61 - 80 of 175 Posts