Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at finally adding a red dot to one of glocks. Thinking my gen3 g23 for the idpa season and then move it to my g20 for hunting season. Not looking to cut slides yet just wanna get my feet wet. Vortex venom 3 moa is my current optic choice with a Trijicon RMR dual illumination if this ends up being a permanent switch. Looking at the Suarez universal “L” mount or the outer impact universal mount. Reviews are lacking on both. EGW is recommended by vortex and may be another option. Iron sights aren’t big to me for this part of the experiment. So pros and cons based on first hand experience is requested and greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump. Looks like Suarez may be out of the running. I hate waiting and have amazon prime. Found a venom with EGW mount for about $250 shipped or $270ish if I buy separately with Prime 2 day ship. The EGW and the OuterImpact are about the same cost so it is negligible at this point. Looking to order Sunday so hope someone can chime in.

·
Super Moderator
19,020 Posts
Why's SI out of the running? I just looked, he has them in stock and their shipping is usually pretty honking quick.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Price is a big consideration especially since I wouldn’t utilize the sight mounting on the SI. Wish there were more reviews out there for all the products. Would love to use a $15-25 plate but am afraid it’d break and ruin the experience for me.

·
Super Moderator
19,020 Posts
Got it. You're going to end up wanting a milled slide if you stay with things. I have a couple for my RMRs and they're rock solid. Good luck with your experiment, and remember that there's a learning curve to new technology.

Reactions: okiegtrider

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got it. You're going to end up wanting a milled slide if you stay with things. I have a couple for my RMRs and they're rock solid. Good luck with your experiment, and remember that there's a learning curve to new technology.

You have a couple what? Suarez? Or just RDS mounts in general? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
19,020 Posts
I have a Suarez-milled G22 and a Suarez G34 slide (he calls it a 434). Both hold RMRs.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I went through this process early last year. First entertaining the idea of using a red dot on my handgun. Then looking around at the various dovetail mounts out there. Cause I just was not going to turn a crazy person with a milling machine loose on my G23. :nailbiting:

The first dovetail mount that grabbed my attention was the Dueck defense RBU.

As I continued my research, I decided that none of the dovetail mounts were what I was looking for.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Next I began looking at the optics ready guns out there. Not a lot of choices really beyond the MOS or the S&W C.O.R.E. models.

In the end, I concluded that the optics ready guns were a compromise and an attempt at one size fits all. Not bad, and work quite well for some people. I kept looking, reading, and talking to others who had been down this road. I wound up talking myself out of an optics ready gun purchase.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
After a friend loaned me his G23 milled to mount an RMR for a couple weeks, soon after I was sold on this being the way for me to go. The custom milled guns mount the sight a little lower and closer to the bore axis than do optic ready guns. The optic ready guns depend on various mounting plates to adapt to several different sights, thus raising them higher. Might not bother some people, but did not seem ideal to me.

In the end, I spent way more than I thought I might when I started down this slippery slope. But, I'm happy with my choices here and the gun works very well for me.

OP, you may find yourself traveling down this same path. A lot depends on your intended use for the gun. Have some fun with the process. I know I did.

Here is where I wound up:

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
The RMR is a great dot. I went with the Venom. Probably the best dot for the $$. I was good with just about anything but the Fastfire. I have a FF on my steel challenge gun, and it's great until the sun comes out...:supergrin:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well timing is everything. I just stumbled onto a 1 month old venom for $160. Claims mounted and shot once, then decided wasn’t his cup of tea. First used one I’ve seen. So here we go on down this road. I did fondle a rmr dual illumination this afternoon and those are dead sexy. Then the counter jerks at Cabelas proceeded to tell me how pointless dots on glocks and M&Ps etc. are. I handed the venom back across the counter and told them I’d shop elsewhere. Now I’m glad I did, they saved me $70.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Well timing is everything. I just stumbled onto a 1 month old venom for $160. Claims mounted and shot once, then decided wasn’t his cup of tea. First used one I’ve seen. So here we go on down this road. I did fondle a rmr dual illumination this afternoon and those are dead sexy. Then the counter jerks at Cabelas proceeded to tell me how pointless dots on glocks and M&Ps etc. are. I handed the venom back across the counter and told them I’d shop elsewhere. Now I’m glad I did, they saved me $70.

A dual illumination RMR showed up in the classifieds here yesterday.

·
MacGyver
8,220 Posts
After all the trouble and expense, the RDS option is not best for everyone in the end.

A magic red dot floating in space about half inch over the top of the slide has its own challenges, and can potentially confuse your hard wired muscle memory when using plain sights.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
After all the trouble and expense, the RDS option is not best for everyone in the end.

A magic red dot floating in space about half inch over the top of the slide has its own challenges, and can potentially confuse your hard wired muscle memory when using plain sights.
I'd agree with that too. Probably not for everyone. And there is definitely a learning curve to using a red dot that conflicts with the hard wiring of having used iron sights for a lot of years. Not insurmountable with some training and desire to make it work for you. Like a lot of this stuff. YMMV.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.