Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about relocating from eastern Kentucky upon retirement (4 years) and would appreciate any information.

Criteria: 2 hour drive (or less) from the coast.
Population of roughly 1000 or less.
Affordable standard of living (if such a thing exists).

Thanks!

· Banned
5,261 Posts
I live in Georgia. If you're wanting to live less than two ours from the coast there are no good options. Southeast Georgia is featureless, insect ridden, hot and humid. However anywhere North of Atlanta would be a good choice, especially the Northeast Georgia mountains.
Yes look at north east Ga.

· Registered
4,478 Posts
Don't write off SE GA, we live in west GA but have property left by my dad near Swainsboro. 90 miles from Savannah. Yes it's hot, but hunting and fishing is awesome if you're into that, and its definitely a gun loving culture. We have our own range at the "compound."

· Registered
3,234 Posts
I have to say that the only part of GA I would consider would be the NE corner in the mountains as others have mentioned.

Then again, if I wanted to live in a small mountain town I'd rather be in TN where there is no state income tax. Obviously I'm biased.

· PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
15,035 Posts
Sorry bud...no help here...after 50 yrs of Florida weather, I will never live east of the Mississippi again..Love the dry heat here in the SW...at least here when you break a sweat you know you have earned it..

· Registered
1,396 Posts
I live in Athens Ga....Its a college town....total pop about 150,000+
Lots of little nice towns surround....
Coast is about 3.5 hours east....
Atlanta is 1.5 hours west....
Ga mountains 1.5 hours north....
Macon is 1.75 hours south......

· GTDS Member #49
10,103 Posts
Traveled all over Georgia a few years ago. I was surprised at how little was going on. No construction at all. Not even a new chicken coop being built. Stopped in for tours of some large businesses. All I heard was the lack of work there, and how they had to scale back. Maybe things have changed in the past couple of years. I personally know one business owner that threatened suicide cause they were losing the family business. Sad state of affairs.

· Registered
1,642 Posts
I grew up in south GA and now live in the berb's of Atlanta. There are two Georgia's, Atlanta and everywhere else.

It can be hot everywhere in GA unless you are in the mountains. If you want to be within 2 hours of the coast I would look at Thomasville or Cairo - the beaches in GA are not that good.

· Registered
83 Posts
I also live in Athens, but in Oconee county... I moved here in '93.
You should have no problem finding what you like in one of the counties surrounding Athens/Clarke county. Building & construction have increased ever sense the election was settled, plenty of things going on here.

· NRA Member
1,248 Posts
Lived in NW Atlanta area for almost 30 years, and love the small towns, sense of community, and respect for guns. Loved Acworth, Woodstock, Ellijay
All great places. All have far higher than 1000 people.

· Philippians 4: 6-7
12,926 Posts
Yep, somewhere in the North GA mountains.

Reactions: Davers

· Registered
1,169 Posts
Right now I'd say the Blue ridge area --N & E ward into TN or NC.
Many places to shoot outside.

I would also love to live near the Coast (or Closer); any town 100 miles south E of Macon ( cause I love to relic Hunt & I'd be closer to Savannah & the Low Country of SC as there is More Colonial History there & Civil War History.

There is A-lot of Civil War History where I live ( Acworth) & nearby areas but sadly it's all been developed.
Also the building boom is back on .

I also would say Rome Floyd Co, Mainly Cause I love Severe Thunder Storms but naaaaa, I may as well move to Ft-Oglethorpe but the I-75 corridor from Atl -to Chatt, might as well be called the "Atlanta / Chattanooga" Metros .

Hot is hot & humidity is high even in the Mountains as I sweat my butt off there to.

So If I were to move next week it would be to Gilmer Co, Savannah.
NW NC , W TN or Somewhere in Florida or Vermont .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.