Best sight set-up for shooting GSSF Am/Civ

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Defiance, May 1, 2007.

1. Defiance

Defiance

I'm looking for opinions on the "best" sights for a 17 to shoot in Am/Civ.

I already shoot my 26, and 19, and I've decided my next Glock will be a 17. My plan is that it will replace my 19 as my GSSF match gun. I guess what I'm really looking for is sights advice. I have Trijicon night sights on the 19 and 26, but I'm thinking about something different for the 17. It won't be a carry gun, just for the range. I've thought about fiber optics, or Heine's, or anything else that the congregation suggests.

Any opinions?

2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Heinies are a very good choice. Dawson is also a good adjustable sight but a little pricey compared to Heinie. Dawson also has a good F/O IF you like F/O, I personally do not but I know some folks like them.

3. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Just my $.02 - I've found that plain black notch & post sights, with some additional width at the rear (to allow more light) work best for me. Have tried a friends black rear (Bomar) with a FO front; tempting, but not just yet. Ameriglo, Aro-Tek and others make available relatively inexpensive plain sets of sights for your G17. (Heck, Ameriglo even usually sends along the little 3/16 shallow nut driver for the front sight.) Heinies are very popular, or you can even go with the drop-in Bomar and the resultant tall blade that it needs, or the aforementioned red FO dot. (You can get the whole setup from CGR or Brownell's. CGR has lots of other goodies too.) My AC G17 currently wears a plain Bomar setup, with a slightly wider rear notch. Yost-Bonitz has a very nice plain sight-set almost has a Heinie-like sight picture & is almost elegantly simple.

Sights are one of those things that people often keep trying, like sneakers or holsters, hoping for just the right sight picture. But you might be better served to check out your next match and actually handle some folks' guns to see what your eye likes before spending your $$.

:patriot:

4. gpsdiesel

gpsdiesel Senior Member

I put a set of Warren Tactical\Sevigny Competition on my G17 and love them. About 80 bucks. But as said before, its kind of a personal preference thing, so you might want to look at others set up before dropping the cash on something you might not like once installed.

5. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Lots of good choices out there. Heinie, Sevigny, DP. I personally prefer Bomars and credit them with a lot of wins.

6. Defiance

Defiance

Thanks for the replies so far.

Yeah, I knew sights are like holsters - ya gotta try 'em to see if ya like 'em, but I didn't want to end up with a box of sights next to my box of holsters. ;)

I just threw out the question to see if the wind blew in any particular direction.

Keep 'em coming!

7. FESTUS

FESTUS Horse Whisperer

Yupper...Bomars on the back ....narrow front .090, and buy them from this guy ( Matt) CGR....get yourself a polished 3.5 connector...with some skate tape and yer good to go...I've got (4) setup that way.:thumbsup:

8. ede

ede

best is what works for you and what you like. i hate bomars but that deosn't mean they aren't great sights. i used a fixed heinie rear and dawson FO front for several years. i'm ordering a couple sets of plain ameriglos for my g30 and g37 to use in GSSF matches.

9. Stephen Hansel

Stephen Hansel

I use a 17 with 3.5 connector and Trijicons,it is right on up to 25 yds,it is my main GSSF gun.

10. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

I agree with ede, just because I don't use or like something doesn't make it right or wrong. I like the Heine sights on back and front. I like the black sights for competition better than the night sights. I tried a F/O on the front and went back to the Heine because I didn't like it. That's just me, for you, it might be great. Do get the 3.5 connector for the G17 and good luck with your new competition gun. I'll look forward to seeing you at GSSF matches.

11. triggerpresser

triggerpresser

I like the Bo-mars on the rear. I also have a set of the Dawsons on my 34 & 30 that I like very well also. The Bo-mars hang off the back of the gun mabe 3/8" or so, so you surely won't have a carry gun with these mounted on your G17. I also like to thin the front sight down to about .090" like Fetus mentioned. It helps aging eyes see the front sight a little more clearly.

12. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Have to agree in one respect as I certainly have the aging eyes issue. In my case I've found I don't mind a .120-.125 front if I have a wider rear notch as I've tried to get my optometrist to optimize my dominant eye lens for the front sight anyway.

Since some others have mentioned the 3.5# (really 4.5#) connector I'll just say that I've run that as well (still have one in my 34) but have come back around the other way since I had a trigger bar & standard 5# connector laying around that had alot of "miles" together. I've found the flip-side of the (stock) connector thing is that the less pull-weight, the mushier the break. My stock 5# connector breaks much cleaner than any stock 3.5# connector I've tried and I prefer that and I've less tendency to try to 'decide' when to shoot rather than just focusing on the front sight & pressing.

Another $.02 adjusted for inflation, making it worth about 1 mill.

:patriot:

13. Defiance

Defiance

I have the 3.5/4.5# connector on my 19, and I'll put one on the 17 too. I like it well enough, and seem to be a bit more accurate with it to boot.

I have an A-grip on my 26, and I like that for carry. After I finished laughing at the idea :rofl: , I put a bike inner tube on my 19, and like that better than the Hogue I had on it. I had 3M tread tape on it too, but took it off due to problems with the grit falling into and imbedding in the holster, and scratching the slide. I might try it again on a range-only 17 though.

Like I always suggest when asked what Glock model to buy, I plan to try before buying.

I'm leaning towards the Heine's or the Bo-mars. The Sevigny sights seem good too...hmmm...

14. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper New job, same me.

Plain rear Dawson with thin Fiberoptic Dawson front.:thumbsup:

15. GLW

GLW

Sights are the things I've experimented with more than any other item on the gun. I've tried all that have been mentioned so far and all are good. I've come to the same conclusion that several have already mentioned and that is that the fiber optics are not the best choice for GSSF. I've replaced virtually all my sights with Ameriglo plain post front sights and several have the "combat" rear fixed sight with the wide rear notch. It gives me a very clear sight picture and works in all light conditions. Ameriglo also represents the best value. I'm not sure if it still works but you used to beable to put "grady" in the coupon code block for an additional discount over the already low prices, when ordering online. Give them a try and I'm sure you will like them as much as I do.

16. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

I, too, have tried many different sight brands and combinations, finding that Ameriglo is the "best" by far for value and versatility. I prefer the "new" .180" rear notch with either a .115" or .125" serrated front sight. I prefer the .125" front sight on my G30 and the .115" front sight on my G17.

Once you find the handload or factory ammunition that your gun likes and meets your needs, you can order the correct height front sight to zero in your point of impact. If you haven't tried the "Sight Calculator" at www.ameriglo.com

Now would be a great time.

When you are wanting to shoot the best score possible, "seeing your front sight clearly" may provide the extra assistance to help you achieve your goal.

See ya on the range,
    Bobby Carver

17. Defiance

Defiance

18. BCarver

Defiance,

The Combat Target Set, GT-502, has a .200" rear sight notch. I prefer the .180" rear sight notch with the .115" width front sight. The new .180" is not currently available in a set like the GT-502 but you can order by contacting Ameriglo.

All of us have different preferences due to our age and quality of eyesight. I have found that the .115" width front sight works great on my standard length Glock models as the G17, G22, etc. I like the .125" width front sight on Subcompact, shorter sight radius, models.

See ya on the range,
    Bobby

19. Defiance

Defiance

Thanks. Can I ask why you prefer the narrower rear sight?

My guess is that the wider one is quicker to acquire a "good" sight picture with, but the narrower is a little better for more precise aiming. Yes/no?

As I mentioned, I have trijicons on my 19 and 26. Any idea of the front blade and rear notch width on those?

20. BCarver

Defiance,

I have found, through my experience that the wider front sight improves my accuracy with the second shot when double tapping. Why? Because it's easier to see the wider front sight with my eyes. I have also found that the more light "seen" on the left and right sides of the front sight helps my precision for the first shot but if I'm transitioning left to right or right to left, my double tap will stray.

My experience has convinced me that if I have either too wide rear notch or too thin front sight, my accuracy suffers. It is my belief, though, that your age and quality of eyesight are factors to consider in choosing the width of your front sight or rear notch.

I like Trijicons, too. I prefer the thinner front sight,.125", available from Ameriglo. The thinner front sight improves my daylight shooting and doesn't hamper low light shooting.

I hope I answered your questions.

See ya on the range,
    Bobby