close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best Self Defense Round For My Glock 21

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GUNGOD, Apr 24, 2004.

1. GUNGOD

GUNGOD

what would be the best self defense round to use in my g21? 230,200,180? thanks for any response.

2. sundance43.5

sundance43.5

Well, I've always heard that 230 is best in 5" and bigger barrels, but I don't think 4.6 is that big of a difference, so 230 should work well, but 200 may be your best bet. It's still going to be bigger than anything in .40 and most 10mm rounds.

Out of a Glock 21, I suspect a 200gr. would be moving in the 925-950 FPS, but someone with hard facts may need to correct this. Better yet, check www.ammolab.com

Chris

3. Harlequin

Harlequin I need a weapon

The neat thing about Glock barrels is even in a short barrel like the G30 a round doesn't lose much velocity. You'll notice that the FPS rating from a G30 and a 5" 1911 isn't much different.

I always load +P for defense just because I can. Since I had a .45 if definitely wanted a bigger bullet than a .40. Winchester Ranger 230gr +Ps are awesome! Barring that, Speer Gold Dot 200gr +Ps were even quicker out of the barrel.

4. 45+

45+ "Senior" Member

I carry Winchester 230 JHP and/or 230 FMJ in my G21.

I carry a 45 because it is a 45. It does not need to open up, but if it does, so much the better.

I carry the 230 grain because I live in the country. I might need to stop a large animal someday, and I want the extra penetration in that scenario. If I spent all my "carry" time in town, I might carry a lighter bullet if the price was comparable.

IMO bullet placement is critical, so I practice with what I carry, and I practice quite a bit. I would rather practice a lot with a cheaper ammo than practice little with an expensive "super bullet", or practice with one ammo and carry something else.

I would recommend that you shoot at least 200 rounds of what you plan to carry through your G21 to insure reliability. Glocks are reliable, but sometimes a particular gun/ammo combo does not work well. A stoppage during a gunfight could be a scary thing.

Whatever you decide to carry...

5. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

this guy is on the right track....(posted by Forty-five Plus)

IMO bullet placement is critical, so I practice with what I carry, and I practice quite a bit. I would rather practice a lot with a cheaper ammo than practice little with an expensive "super bullet", or practice with one ammo and carry something else.

6. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

230 gr. Hydras; 230gr. Golden Sabers; 230gr. Gold Dots. Or the same bullets in lighter weights. All will do the job.

7. commander

commander

I like Winchester's Ranger 230 grain +P (RA45TP). Their non-+P (RA45T) would be my 2nd choice.

8. donspag

donspag

I have tested alot of ammo and i have to agree with the RA45TP.

Don

9. donspag

donspag

I have tested alot of ammo and i have to agree with the RA45TA.

Don

10. Tommy21

Tommy21 Vexillary

I just bought 150 rounds of the Federal EFMJ in the 200gr +P.
    Anyone have velocity info on that round?

(just had did-I-leave-the-stove-on feeling that it might be on the side of the box)

Tommy

11. lastevolution

lastevolution "Senior" Member

How fast is the fastest 230grain round? And how fast is the fastest 185gr round? I'd rather carry a 185gr round that's pretty darn fast.

12. commander

commander

If you really believe MV is the panacea of stopping power, you picked the wrong caliber. Get a .357!

13. lastevolution

lastevolution "Senior" Member

well, i don't believe that. i just want a fast .45. i hear that it's better than the sub 1000fps ones.

14. racerkvn

racerkvn

Man, if you want FAST check out the 165 Cor-Bon, they are the fastest 45acp out there. If it expands or not, you are at the very least still at .450" hole!!! Hundred thousanths bigger than than .357,.38, and .9mm, with no expansion. Just my opinion.

15. Big_Jim

Big_Jim

I don't think there is a wrong choice. I like the Hornady 230 gr XTP +p or Remington GS's.

16. ColoradoGlocker

ColoradoGlocker Former Member

17. 7.62mmFMJ

7.62mmFMJ Always Forward

Since I haven't been shot by any, I have no formal opinion. ;n

That said, I do prefer the heavier bullet (230 grain) and standard is OK, but +P is better. I use cor-bon and hornady +P loads. Might also be important to say 21C

18. SocomCen

SocomCen Millennium Member

Exactly, you never here someone say: A .45 stops as good as 'x' caliber. I do like the .357 SIG but 95% of the time I carry a .45 (I'm old school I guess). A .45 doesn't need to be fast. It wasn't designed to be fast.

I can put 4 rounds standard pressure 230gr rounds in the black faster than I can get two +P rounds. So to me the extra muzzle flip of the +P isn't worth the trade off in .45 ACP

I carry non +P .45 ACP Winchester Ranger 230gr JHP, pretty much any 230gr JHP is going to be pretty good. You should shoot what works and is accurate in 'your' pistol. We are talking about Glocks so that will probably be everything. Money is better spent on training and practice than worring about the marginally 2% supposedly better, latest 'super-majic-ninja' bullet.

19. WDN

WDN

IMO....One thing I never see people talk about in defensive ammo is muzzle flash. About 83% of violent encounters happen in some type of subdued lighting. After you decide on a couple of rounds you might use, try them in low light to check muzzle flash. .45 hydrashocks have the worst flash I have seen. You can hardly see the target after the first shot or two. Multiple targets can be a real challenge. Try it for yourself and make up your own mind.

20. alfred guard

alfred guard

165 cor bon , fast round;l ;l