close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best scent cover up?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by 8-Ball, Nov 4, 2004.

1. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Yesterday(nov. 03)my brother was bow hunting Whitetail on the land we own. He was trying out his new blind when about 50 yds. away he seen 2 does walking straight towards him. He drew aim so he wouldn't have to when they got a little closer. So they got closer(about 30 yds. away) and the deer just turned around and walked away. He had watched them walk roughly 20 yds toward him looking like they were on a mission then turn and walk away. Hes a quite experienced hunter and says it seemed like they smelled him. He was using some cheep scent cover from walmart(I dont recall the name).

So I turn to you, oh experienced hunters of GT, for some advice on scent cover-ups, from your experiences.;)

2. ILikeFtLbs

ILikeFtLbs

The best thing to do is shoot a skunk under your stand! Seriously though, I like fox urine. Never fails me in MD, VA, and WV.

I tried some of those Tinks scent stix that burn too. They cover up scent really well, but it's a lot more of a hassel. I use the all season ones because I've found that the rut ones don't really attract the deer and both calm the deer down plenty.

Tink's #69 attracts the bucks really well for me, but only for about a week or less out of the year. If I can pick the day right, I can get a buck to walk right up to the scent and start licking it, but on the wrong day I get nothing. #69 is not a good cover scent from my experience.

My recommendation is to just stick with a spray bottle of fox pee and cover yourself with 5 or 6 sprays. If you can smell it, that's enough to confuse the deer. Carbon Blast spray will help eliminate human odor too and make the fox pee better, but I've had equal luck without it. Also foxes are so common, there smell is natural anywhere in the country.

3. Scunyon

Scunyon Ticket Stroker

Best luck I've had was using scent killer detergent on my huntin' duds and then tying a drag rag behind me doused in knight&hales doe estrus.

Last Monday when I went out, the buck caught a whiff and met me in the road as I was going to my stand. He snorted, stomped his hoof and left pissed off because it was me and not 'Bambi';f

4. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

I use products from Wildlife Research http://www.wildlife.com/ to elimante scent. I wash my clothes in their laundry detergent, hang them out to dry then store them in a H.S. Strut plastic scent proof bag with some buck pine limbs, pine cones and acorns.

I also shower in their scent killer soap.

Then as a cover scent I use BTD cover scent http://www.btdoutdoors.com/prod-coverscent.htm

This system works really well for me. I have only been winded one day this year and that was the first day of bow season. It was about 80 degrees and I had sweated my tail off climbing the ridge then up my tree. The other hours and hours on the stand so far have been golden, had deer walk by me the other night, wind was swirling, they didn't have a clue.

5. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

thanks for the info guys

6. jeffd

jeffd

I'm a novice, so ignore me if I'm ignorant.

How did hunters 50+ years ago do so well without all this commercial scent stuff?

7. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Well my brother was hunting with a bow, they hunted with shotguns or rifles. If my brother had a shotgun or rifle that deer would have been dead. with a shotgun(slug) or a rifle the deer dont need to be nearly as close as it does with a bow so they most likely wont smell you as strong farther away. Especially in the middle of the woods here it's really thick and the branches could deflect the arrow.

8. TScottW99

TScottW99 NRA Life Member

Hunted the wind. Which we still do today.

I remember before the scent killer products came out, we would still try and keep our clothes as scent free as possible. Using baking soda for washing, placing hunting clothes in trash bags with apples, acorns and leaves.

Even with the scent killers, cover scents and wafers you still need to hunt the wind. Deer have an awesome nose. It has been found that if you touch a branch with your bare hand a deer can smell you on that branch for up to a week.

Granted you can kill deer without these steps, just prey for a good day and that the deer is having a bad day ;)