Best Rifles for hunting Large Game ?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Glock Influence, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Glock Influence

Glock Influence

I just want to get different peoples opinions on which Gun/calibers are best for taking out Bears, elk, mountain lions, big horn sheep, etc etc ? Such as the best priced/reliable large caliber rifles.

thanks

2. noway

noway

I personally don't consider those big game but big game would be grizzly/buffalo/water buffalo/rhino/girafee/etc...but, anything in a 30cal out of a 24" bbl should put a hurtin all that you mention.

{Such as the best priced/reliable large caliber rifles.}

btw: A 30cal by no means is consider a large caliber.

3. noway

noway

and I wnat to add the 30-30 woulod be the only 30cal not reccommended on elk size or larger and specially at the farther distances. 30cal for me means 30-06,308win,300win mag,300 weatherby.

4. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

5. Glock Influence

Glock Influence

are those legal in California ? I would like a gun similar to that yet not spend so much. I'm looking to spend no more than 600

6. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

Oh no, not in Kali.

How about a garand or an SKS?

7. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

If you truely intend to hunt "bears, elk, mountain lions, big horn sheep" and the like you need to spend a little time doing some training and research. There's plenty available.

And if you have the money to afford a hunt for sheep I highly recommend you increase your budget for the rifle. $600 might buy the optics, but I doubt it.

(If this reply offends you, consider; the question you asked is like asking, "How do I paint a house." You'll get some advise, but unless you know enough to grasp the brush buy the handle it will all be useless.

And like house painting, hunting is a case where preparation is the most important part.)

8. Glock Influence

Glock Influence

I will never "hunt" any animal unless me or my family needs it for food or it has hurt them. I just want to start a good collection of rifles along with my shotguns and handguns.

9. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

Yeah, I always ask strangers what truck I should buy when I need new roller skates.

10. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

When I was growing up I hunted deer behind my godfather's house. This old fella named Ralph would sometimes come out for the opening day festivities. Ralph was so old I think he was actually getting younger because he hit the limit. He didn't walk very well and took naps about every 30 minutes. Sometimes in mid sentance. He shot some beat up old stick in chamered in who knows what. The thing looked like he drug it there behind his truck, then beat on a tree for good measure. When the sun started to peek out and the deer left the woods, guess who was always in the best possible spot and always got the primo deer? Ralph.

What I'm trying to say is that hunting isn't about the weapon. Surely a quality arm makes life a lot easier and picking up a bunch of guns is fun, but at the end of the day it's about what's bouncing around in your noggin that counts.

If you really want to get into it, pick yourself up a name brand rifle in a tried and true caliber like, .30-30, .30-06 or .270 and get out and hunt. Winchester, Remington, Browning, CZ, Tikka, Savage, Ruger... take you pick. If you really get hooked more will follow.

11. Glock Influence

Glock Influence

I am asking which gun would be best to kill these animals mostly the bear as an alternative to a Shotgun loaded with slugs that wont be able to reach as far nor be as accurate in my mind to do the job if by any chance one is charging me.

This is Just one of those" which gun and caliber" is best to help save your life in the un-likly event you run into a creature who wants you for dinner, or once dead you become another animals dinner.

12. jhokie

jhokie

Just note that your thread title is....

Best Rifles for hunting Large Game ?

A more appropriate thread title would be...

Which rifle is best for defending myself or family members from large, threatening game? ;)

I'd say screw optics, just get something in .308 Winchester or 30-06, and use the iron sights. Since you won't need to be shooting anything past 100 feet, you'll be fine. Check out a remington model 700. Certain types can be had as low as 600-700 bucks (synthetic as opposed to would for example). Or, you could even go with a remington model 710. Feels like crap to me, but it's under 400 bucks, and you even get a scope! For your purpose it would be great.

13. Glock Influence

Glock Influence

14. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Are bighorn sheep coming down off the mountain and attacking people again? I hate when they do that.

15. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

nothing less than a .458lott will do to stop a charging bear at 300 yards

one other round to consider is the .585 nyati

both will perform very well and should meet your requirements

16. frank4570

frank4570

Given the parameters, I think a Savage rifle in 300 Win mag would be my choice.I would put on a Shepheds scope. The scope alone will hurt your budget pretty badly. But if I was getting charged by a bear or an elk from 150 yds or so this would easily be my first choice. For close range I would much prefer the 12 guage with slugs.

17. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

;f;a ;f

18. Glock Influence

Glock Influence

As I said before "I am asking which gun would be best to kill these animals (mostly) the bear " I was just asking a hunting question because it is in the hunting thread.

19. akbound

akbound

For all that you're looking for you could do well buying a Savage 110 or 111 "package" rifle. They come in a variety of calibers (.30-06 would be hard to beat) and also have an inexpensive 3x9 scope included. They can usually be found in discount stores in the $350. range.

While they aren't the best looking rifle on the market they certainly are functional.

Dave

20. 147 Grain

147 Grain

After doing a lot of research and shopping around, we decided to purchase a new Remington 700 SPS Stainless 30-06 as a gift for my son's earning the Eagle Scout Award. :)

[​IMG]

Rifle was $469.00 from Sportsman's Warehouse in Utah and included a 24" stainless / parkerized barrel and Limbsaver Recoil Pad.

FYI:

The blued version was discounted to $398.00, but we liked the stainless at $469. (Note: The 2005 Stainless version retails for $613 and has replaced the 2004 BDL's Stainless. The 2005 SPS in blue ($520 retail) has replaced the 2004 ADL line which was dropped.)

We Piller Bedding the action / Free Floating the Barrel, and Adjusted the Trigger to 2 3/4 lbs. So far, results have been 7/8" MOA with the rifle only having 12 shots through the barrel. Should be a MOA shooter after the barrel's broken in.