close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best Restaurant Steak

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by General Sherman, May 16, 2006.

1. General Sherman

General Sherman

Do not miss the best restaurant steak posting in the general non glocking section.
    It looks like Ruth's Chris is winning.

Interesting. Frankly I love the wood and charcoal cooked steaks and meat and very few restaurants use wood or charcoal. They usually broil them or grill em.

Without bragging very few restaurants can equal my home grilled steaks on my Webber grill.

Webber forever. My lid is off to them.:bowdown:

2. lwt210

lwt210

I feel your pain. I can usually crank out better than all the joints here in town. It's my bourbon basting sauce and natural lump that makes the difference.

But the upside is that when I do go out, I try new things instead of my usual steak order. Variety is the spice of life.

3. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

Couple of years ago I went to DC. At the very posh hotel we stayed at there was a resturant that billed itself as a steak house... It looked more like a french resturant to me...

Food comes. Everything looks grand and I bite into my steak... YUCK...! It was horrible...! Well, I guess the waiter saw the look of discust on my face and hurries over to me and asks me if all is ok...

Well, you'd have thought that I had told him the truth about where his mother came from... He offers to take it back and I told him no because the next one would taste just like the first one...

With some consternation he rushs off and a few minutes later he comes back with the head chef. HC asks me the problem...

Me: This was cooked on a skillet wasn't it...?

Him: Er, um, yes sir it was...

Me: You don't do that to a steak...!

Him: Er, how do you cook a steak...?

Me: You cook a steak over a charcoal or wood fire...

Him: Sir, we don't have provisions to cook like that here...

Me: Well, you seem to be able to cook your pizza with fire (pointing to a fire oven not far from us)

Him: Er, ah, yes but we have no way to cook a steak inside like that...

Me: Well, I guess you shouldn't call it a Steak House till you do...

The rest of the conversation was about cooking steaks on coals or wood. I suggested to him that he get a charcoal grill and do their steaks outside...

IIRC, our desserts and after dinner drinks were free and my meal was no charge...

Poor waiter, he stood off to the side almost shaking... I think he thought he wasn't going to get his tip. He did, for the full amount of what the dinner would have cost...

4. noway

noway

"Ruth's Chris" is not the best steak for steaks. Good quanities of veggies ( have you had their baked potatoes? ) ;)

Ruth Chris is a step above Magnums and Magnums isn't all that great either. I found better steak places off the well travel paths.

5. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

It's the best resturant steak I've ever had and I'm pretty particular about my beef.

I think once one gets into that caliber of steak and cooking it would take a pretty discerning palate to differentiate one from another...

At this point I think it comes down to ones taste in seasonings. That's why I like mine cooked naked...

6. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

Hehehee... I've found better in my own driveway...

[​IMG] ;) :beer:

7. okie

okie GT Mayor

Lone Star is the best I have found;) :cool:

8. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Best steak is home grilled. A little salt. A little pepper. A little Tony's.

I cannot for the life of me get a rare steak at a restaurant. Even assuring the waiter/tress that I will not send it back as long as the meat was near a grill at some point, I always end up with a medium at best.

It's worse at the chain "steakhouses." My wife likes her steak ruined (well-done), yet her steak usually is more red than mine.