close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best quality DVD-R DL? DVD+R DL?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Unbridled Rage, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Unbridled Rage

Unbridled Rage Swollen Member

Hello! I've done a search, but the questions of the best brand of Dual Layer DVD-R's or DVD+R's has not yet been addressed.

I've seen fairly high recommendations for the Taiyo Yuiden (sp for sure) DVD-R's and DVD+R's but I can't find any Dual Layer in that brand.

What DVD-R DL or DVD+R DL blank DVDs have you had the best luck with?

I've got a Plextor 716A.

Thanks for looking!

D

2. Seminoles

Seminoles Millennium Member

I also have the Plextor 716. I only use Plextor DVD+R discs. I have never had a problem with any Plextor or Sony blank DVD's.

3. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Just my 2 cents...but I love Verbatim media :)

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I don't use DL because of the cost.Things may have recently changed but last time I looked the DVD-R DL existed only in theory.The only DL disks I've ever seen have all been DVD+R.When I have looked at them they are more than 2 times the price of single layer disks.

5. Seminoles

Seminoles Millennium Member

I had Plextor on my mind, it's Verbatim disc's that I use.

6. 10Forward

10Forward SACD music nut

There is no difference in quality between + or - when it comes to DVD R. It's only a matter of being compatible. Some stand alone DVD players will read everything, some will choke and gag on + or - or play DVD r just fine, but won't read DVD RW in either flavor.

Early most drives for PCs were one or the other, now they seem to be ready for every flavor.

As for the poster not wanting to pay extra, yes it sucks. But what sucks more is copying movies, and compressing them to fit on single layer 4.7 G disks. The picture looks like crap, and it stands out big time on HDTV displays even worse, especially if a movie is 7 or 8+ gigs in size and the compression is more aggressive.

If you don't use them for movies, and it's more about the data, sure single layer DVD blanks are fine.

My 2 cents, stick with the better brands. Verbatim is fairly easy to find and good. The Dual layer Fuji, TDK and such are a little harder to find, and when you do they can be pricey. Sony is good, but can't seem to find Sony's in Dual layer.

I've used 1 25 disc spindle of Memorex DL and only 1 would play in my PC and NOT in my stand alone DVD player. I've used 2 10 disc spindles of Verbatim with no issues, The 25 DL memorex spindles are about $49 on ebay, that's where I got mine. I've seen Maxell start to come down too.

I'm sure by this summer, DL blanks will be much cheaper, I can see the prices starting to fall right now.

- Tony

7. Unbridled Rage

Unbridled Rage Swollen Member

Sounds like the Verbatims the winner. I really need the dual layer thing to save time, I don't have the time/energy/knowledge to reauthor/shrink ripped movies. I'll just burn the ISOs for now, thanks.

And, it'll be nice to get that 300 gig back off the drive.

Thanks!