close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best price on a Kitchenaid mixer?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by The Pontificator, Dec 6, 2004.

1. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

Doesn't have to be the ultra top of the line model, just a basic workhorse.

So far, the lowest price is at...predictably...WALLY WORLD. $165. Target has same for ten dollars more.

2. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

That is the best price I know of.

If you have a 20% off Bed Bath and Beyond coupon, You might try using that at Wal-Mart. I keep one of these coupons in my Jeep to use a BB&B for when I drop in for something. I get them in the mail all the time.

I have the 5 quart Kitchenaid Artisan and use it all the time.

You are becoming quite the home Chef.

3. The Pontificator

;f

I have several years of institutional food service experience.

I no longer cook for a living and like it that way just fine. :)

4. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

I am not even going to ask, but Martha Stewart is going to be able to make the same claim. ;f

5. Jaegergirl

Jaegergirl Proud2BAmerican

$165 sounds about right. i was in the market for one a couple months ago and that's about the going rate. i think i could have gotten one just a little bit cheaper at kohls had i used one of my 15% off coupons.

after talking to several people and doing some research, i ended up buying a bosch stand mixer online and the next day a lady i work with sold me her used kitchen aide for $15 so now i have both. ;f

6. lwt210

lwt210

From what I gather, and I may be wrong here, but the version that Walmart sells is kind of the bottom model of the KitchenAid.

Just from looking at the display, it didn't seem as good of quality as the ones that I see in other stores. For instance, the bowl does not have a handle on it like every other KA mixer that I have seen. And it "looks" cheaper built than the ones at other stores.

We have the 325 watt Heavy Duty model and when that wears out, we are getting the bigger 6 quart model. My mother had the smaller Artisan model with the tilt up head and I prefer the HD model where you raise the bowl to the beater.

But the Walmart special may be every bit the mixer ours is. Don't know of anyone that has one like that. Just trying to give you info on what I know of them.

Here goes a pic of ours. It is about five years old now and has taken a beating. We use it constantly.

7. SouthernGal

SouthernGal What's Up Dox?

My ex-husband bought mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond using the 20% off thing.

The only thing I wish he'd done is buy me the one that lifts upward with the crank on the side rather than the flip-top one. They are very nice to have though. I was sick of using a hand mixer!

8. AndABeer

AndABeer Proud pappy

You don't mention the specific model but I get all my kitchen stuff from www.chefscatalog.com.

WARNING: If your a self-proclaimed/deluded cook/chef, like me, and also a gadget freak, like me, stay the hell away from this site.

The models listed are more pricey then the ones shown so far on this thread but I'm pretty sure they are the higher end ones.

9. The Pontificator

Local hardware store just down the street has the Kitchenaid "Artisan" series mixers...in lots of neat colors...for $249....that's not a bad price in comparison to what online vendors are asking.

10. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

Check Lowe's Hardware. Sometimes they have good prices. Ours came from there. We got a form to send in for an extra mixing bowl for free too.

11. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

A FRIEND OF MINE GOT ONE AT KHOLES TWO WEEEKS AGO ON SALE FOR $139.00...WAS 4 1/2 QT. WHITE MIXER WITH WHIP, BEATER, DOUGH HOOK, S.S. BOWL AND PLASTIC SHEILD. WAS A GREAT DEAL AND BETTER THAN ANYWHERES ELSE I SEEN IT. GOOD LUCK

12. Caretaker

Caretaker GO YANKEES!!!

THATS ME TOO ANDABEER. I AM THE SAME WAY. LOVE THE GADGETS AND THE WHOLE BALL OF WAX. CAN SEND MY BUTT TO THE POOR HOUSE ON THAT SIGHT. I WANT ONE OF EVERYTHING

13. maxxx93

maxxx93

It's all about the watts.
    They run from 250 to 600 watts.

I have a 325 watt, enough power for most home uses, although I wouldn't recommend it for a steady diet of dough making.

14. AZBob

AZBob 0-60 < 2s CLM

Splurge and get the KitchenAid professional 6 mixer. It's not all that much more expensive, sometimes they're on sale, and sometimes they have deals where you can get an accessory for free. I use mine all the time and it's never had a problem. Just don't put the metal beaters in the dish washer (so stupid!).

Edited to add: if you DO get the big one, make sure you have a place to put it on the counter to leave it there. I have a million linear feet of counter top, so I don't care, but some people's counter top is limited. The reason I say this is because the thing weighs about 25 pounds, and is not an easy thing to hoist into and out of a cabinet, and probably wouldn't fit in the cabinet anyhow (it's about 18" tall).

15. lwt210

lwt210

Yeah, I am the "some people's" she is refering to. I have about zero feet of countertop. With the mixer, the J.A. Henckles block, and some canisters, that pretty much takes it all up.

Gotta get me a bigger house one of these days. But I oh so love the dirt cheap payment.

16. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Bustin' Caps

kitchenAides are the best mixers there are.

17. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

I have the Artisan model that was given to my wife and myself when we got married. I love it. I do not use all of the time any more due to schedules, but when I was using it, it was getting used. I use to make my dough for bread and pizza, I used it to grind up pork and made home made sausage, and all of the other typical things. I love having it, if it ever dies then I will upgrade to the HD unit. So think about what your usage is going to be, then base your decision on that. You do not want to buy one that is underpowered for your needs. That is something that you would regret. Good luck.

18. Zak3056

Zak3056 NRA Life Member

Another vote for the 6qt--the "professional" series (mostly 6qt, though there are 5qt versions) are all metal construction. Everything else (including the Artisan series you are looking at) incorporate alot of plastic--inclusive, for example, of the gears that drive the mixing head. They won't last nearly as long as the professional series, and if you're going to drop $250 on a kitchen appliance, you should buy quality. ;f

Earlier this month, Amazon had one for $215 after rebates.