close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

best price for bulk / wholesale .40 caliber ammo

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by lopressor, Apr 14, 2001.

Tags:
  1. lopressor

lopressor

I have been shopping on the web and other places for 500 or 1000 round pricing for range ammo (new) not remanufactured. I found at www.natchezss.com Magtech @ $7.60 per box of 50. Does anybody know a better price and where to get it?

Chris

2. Dusty Bottoms

Dusty Bottoms

Also at Natchez, S&B ammo, which in my opinion is higher quality than Magtech, is one cent cheaper, @ $7.59 per 50.

3. GP

GP

I pay $150. cash for a case no shipping, I just asked at my local gun shop . You might want to try you never know.

4. Guns equal Freedom

Guns equal Freedom

The Sportsmans Guide has American Ammo (not reloads) going for $129 a case of 1,000. If you use the 20% discount coupon in your latest issue of the NRA rag it about pays for shipping. It cost me $123.19 for a case to my front door.
    Follow the link!
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/showad.html?promo_code=WX0&item_id=32076&dc_id=60

This is the actual offer:
    WX0 - 32076 - American Ammo™ .40 S&W 180Gr. C3 1000rds. $129.00

5. njl

njl Crusty Member

How much of that stuff have you shot? American (based in Miami, FL) is said to be some of the worst factory ammo money can buy.

6. Guns equal Freedom

Guns equal Freedom

I have shot about 300 rounds of it, it's good stuff for cheap factory loaded range ammo.
    It is on par (by my calibrated arm, eye, and shot placement) with UMC or PMC 180 stuff.
    Buy a box and try it, make that decision on your own, don't take someone elses word.
    GEF

7. Leigh

Leigh

American Ammo (out of Florida) IS some of the worst ammo you can buy. I won't use it or sell it to anyone else.

8. H.M. Murdock

H.M. Murdock

I agree with the assessment of American Ammo. It's junk.

But you can get 165gr. PMC from the Sportsman's Guide at $7.97/box (if you order 3 or more boxes). That's a case for about $160. Then, when you apply the 20% discount, you're getting a great deal!

9. Guns equal Freedom

Guns equal Freedom

So can any of you tell me why American Ammo is junk?

I load my magazines, I insert them into my Glock, it goes bang everytime I pull the trigger.
    The stuff is plinking and practice ammo, not self defense or target ammo.

It's so funny to read these posts, I can remember back about 3-4 years ago when everyone was saying that PMC ammo was crap.

Like I said, unless you have tried it you can't properly judge it.

GEF

10. topcop503

topcop503 www.odmp.org

GEF, I'm with you. I bought a case and have shot 1/3 to 1/2 of it and have had no problems at all.

Again, using it for general plinking and practice before I have to requalify at the range.

------------------
    All men are created equal...Then, a few become Police Officers

"...get rid of that crome plated sissy gun and get you a GLOCK."--Tommy Lee Jones;U.S. Marshalls

11. podwich

podwich

Here's a quick summary of what I've learned: brass is weaker, bullets are copper washed, not plated (leading becomes an issue), and there was more but I forget. Shoot it if you want. It's your gun. I like PMC, the big 3 [​IMG], S&B, and hopefully soon my own reloads.

12. rider2000

rider2000 Cycle Psycho

If you live in Oregon or Washington, a store called BI-Mart usually has a sale on Winchester pistol ammo about once a month.
    A couple weeks ago I stocked up on .40 and .38 for $8.99 a box. .45 auto and 357 mag cost $11.99 a box. Full metal jacket (357s are hollow point. No shipping, no waiting.
    It's great range ammo and a hell of a lot better than that bulk crap from Sportman's Guide (IMO).

13. RorySten

RorySten

Greetings,
    I've been using Ammerican Ammo both in 9X19 and .40S&W this last winter shooting IPSC matches and had no problems. As to these bullets being only "copper washed" that's what made them ideal for me since I was shooting at a small indoor range which doesn't allow jacketed bullets, (except frangibles like Ranier or SinterFire -big $$$.-) Since American Ammo is just "copper coated" I was allowed to use them. I don't reload yet and even if I did I wasn't excited about the throwing raw leaded bullets down my stock G35 barrel.

Yes, it's a little dirty, but I clean my guns after every use anyway so no big deal.

Be safe, be aware, and remember to have fun,
    and George W is doing just fine thank you very much...

Rory

------------------
    Rory S
    Novice Glocker & IPSC Shooter
    Outdoor Sportmans Club Member
    NRA Member
    GSSF Member

14. alou

alou

Where exactly do I find this coupon for 20% off?

15. JAC

JAC

Here is my experience with Ammerican Ammo. I bought a 1000 rounds for a little over $7.00 a box. I have 100 rounds left. Since I bought it I have had one bullet get stuck in the barrel, and one that was severly under charged. The bullet actually cleared the barrel but I felt no recoil, and the empty casing remained in the chamber. And lastly, which I found kind of interesting, I had the outer copper wash/plating actually come off of a bullet and get lodged in the target. Needless to say I now have a fresh 1000 rounds of Federal in the closet. I do have to admit that the price is hard to ignore.

------------------
    JAC

16. Guest

I am using MiWall reloaded .40 in competition (gutsy, or WHAT!). It's running $115 per 1000 rounds. Had a couple push back into the case, but very rarely a misfeed (time to replace mag springs for sure, not the ammo's fault)

I pick it up at gunshows for that price and save on shipping. I will be reloading it soon and then I will know just how good this stuff is! (grin)

check it out at: www.miwallcorp.com

HTH!

UPDATE - Sheesh - Just saw the part about *new* ammo in the original post (blush - I do know how to read, just forget to some times) Anyway, MiWall has 500 rounds for $85 = $8.50 per box of 50. I have used this stuff too, and it's great ammo.

Good luck...

[This message has been edited by Patrick Seeber (edited 04-24-2001).]

17. dawg23

dawg23 Resident Dimwit

Do a search under American Ammo at Glock Talk. You will find some threads that will probably cause you to be a little less cocky about the fact that you haven't YET had a problem. I don't think all of those people invented all of those incidents.

I can buy Blazer, UMC and American Eagle at prices very close to that of American Ammo - so why take the chance ?? I have a relatively high regard for my Glocks and for my fingers.

Best wishes - safe shooting,
    Dawg23 (Glock 19, 21, 23 and 27)

18. lopressor

lopressor

Where do you buy your ammo and for how much?

Chris

19. dawg23

dawg23 Resident Dimwit

Lopressor:

I buy at several sites, and find that they run specials periodically.

My FIRST preference is Natchez Shooter's Supplies (I see you have checked there). They have the best "day in, day out" prices and they have UNQUESTIONABLY the best customer serice. Have bought 40 S&W Blazer from them for as low as $7.25/box (in quantities of 10 or more boxes) when they run sales.

Second choice is place called CheaperThanDirt.com - their specials on Blazer are sometimes as good as Natchez, and their shipping charges are often lower.

Best wishes & safe shooting,
    Dawg 23

20. mco804

mco804

Which brand of ammo would you guys get at the Natchez website?
    How much "gr" should I get for my gun?

[This message has been edited by mco804 (edited 04-25-2001).]