Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if anyone has any hard data that would tell which of the current pistol offerings chambered in .357Sig might be considered "best" in terms of 1) longevity, 2) performance (accuracy, ability to place rapid follow-on shots on target consistently, and muzzle flip, to name a few), 3) intangibles (whatever you want to insert here).

Sig-Sauer developed the round with Federal Ammunition some years back. I have P229 and P226 Stainless Elites and a Glock 32. The Sigs are very soft shooters and would seem at first glance to be able to handle the round well. The Glock 32 is, as always, very reliable, but will absolutely wear you out at the range.

Your thoughts?

PB

·
Registered
463 Posts
Sphinx 3000.

Too expensive? (Not stated as a criterion.)

Then, CZ 75B .40, converted to .357 SIG, via barrel swap.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ive been a.357 SIG convert for about 7yrs or so. Ive owned the following pistols, SIG 229 Sport, SIG P229,P226, FN FNP.357, Glock 33,32, HK P2000 compact and fullsize. Glock 20 with KKM 6 inch barrel.
The softest shooting is the SIG 229 Sport followed by the FN FNP. I dislike the P2000 fullsize and its for sale, Surprisingly the Glock 33 is softer shooting then its bigger brothers.
Longevity wise, the SIGs have held up the best so far

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Ive been a.357 SIG convert for about 7yrs or so. Ive owned the following pistols, SIG 229 Sport, SIG P229,P226, FN FNP.357, Glock 33,32, HK P2000 compact and fullsize. Glock 20 with KKM 6 inch barrel.
The softest shooting is the SIG 229 Sport followed by the FN FNP. I dislike the P2000 fullsize and its for sale, Surprisingly the Glock 33 is softer shooting then its bigger brothers.
Longevity wise, the SIGs have held up the best so far
229 softer shooting than 226?

How have the sigs held up best, what parts are wearing faster or broken on the other fierarms?

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
The US Secret Service loves their .357 SiG caliber P229s. Aside from general QC issues from the Exeter guns, they haven't had issues with the caliber/pistol combination.

The NMSP used to use the Glock 31, but they quit for some reason.

I like my Glock 22 with the factory SiG chambered barrel. It shoots well and is very accurate.

·
Registered
11,611 Posts
I've read that the Steyr M357-A1 is a very nice shooting .357sig.

Last summer I passed up a NIB M357-A1 because I already have a G-32, and the last thing I need is another pistol of the same caliber. Since the Glock has been absolutely perfect and trouble free since Day One I let the Steyr go to someone else.

I own a M9-A1 and I can attest to the great Steyr ergonomics.

·
Kopfjaeger
941 Posts
Our issue weapon presently is the SIGPRO 2340 and it seems to handle the round very well. It was my first experience with the .357 SIG round, so I don't have anything to gauge it against. Our department is in the process of switching over to the Glock 31.

·
Stinkin badgers
80 Posts
My first handgun in .357 Sig was a Sig Pro 2340.I loved to shoot it and it was very accurate. I loved it's feel and classic lines but, it was limited by it's civilian 10 round mag and I was looking for a concealed carry gun, so I bought my G33. Yes, it is more of a handful to shoot, but a lot easier to conceal. i love them both.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am curious if anyone has any hard data that would tell which of the current pistol offerings chambered in .357Sig might be considered "best" in terms of 1) longevity, 2) performance (accuracy, ability to place rapid follow-on shots on target consistently, and muzzle flip, to name a few), 3) intangibles (whatever you want to insert here).

Sig-Sauer developed the round with Federal Ammunition some years back. I have P229 and P226 Stainless Elites and a Glock 32. The Sigs are very soft shooters and would seem at first glance to be able to handle the round well. The Glock 32 is, as always, very reliable, but will absolutely wear you out at the range.

Your thoughts?

PB
Pill - I don't have a clear stat on longevity - but in a lot of shooting I have yet to wear out, or even break the Sig 229/239, G31. G32.
#2 Performance, as you note the Sig's have much greater slide mass than the Glocks - so even with the higher bore axis the are "softer" to shoot.
Intangibles...- I have gone through the same analysis that you have - started w/Sig 229, great gun but...THICK..., then went to the 239, better gun, never really fit my hand & my big thumbs normally prevented the gun from locking open on an empty mag...then to the G31.., which to me is the snappiest in recoil and then (several years elapsed) ended up with the G32 - which feels slightly softer than the longer barreled G31...I do much of my volume training w the G19 - which is better than a .22LR conversion...My G32 has never failed to function, I am of the non-scientific opinion that the bottled neck .357 is a slightly better feeding round than the other standard defensive calibers...that's really why I use it, that and I am old enough to have started CCW with a .357 S&W Model 19...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.