Best place to find AK brass?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by emt1581, Feb 10, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I have a few cases of AK ammo but it is ALL steel cased. Where can I find some good/cheap 7.62x39 reloadable brass?

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

2. Rich219

Rich219

Haha, cheap 762x39 brass! When you find out let me know.

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

4. dudel

dudel

Just read the reviews.

5. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Lapua has a very good rep.

I don't load 7.62x39, but I would think that like any other brass, the number of reloads depends on how hot you load it. For range fodder I'd guess five to ten. Hyper-blaster a good bit less.

6. steve4102

steve4102

I use Lapua, K&P(Lapua) and IMI. I anneal after 5-6 reloadings. My current lot of K&P has been annealed twice, so that's about 12 on this batch, still looks good.

Wideners had a bunch of IMI (good stuff) for $140/1000. I bought 2K. It's all gone now, Israel is not sending out any components as they need everything they can get. Check out GunBroker, they have IMI brass for a decent price now and then. Or, you could do a search and find some "once fired".

7. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Lapua will last a few reloads. Winchester cases are good for one load and maybe two if you are lucky. The Winchester cases do not hold up. Remington cases are very strong but are only made in small runs from time to time and usually sold in loaded ammunition. IMI cases are good if you can find them. There is also PMC but might not find it as empty brass. Norma and Sako cases aren't so common anymore. If you want good brass Lapua is the way to go these days. For cheap Winchester will get you at least one load (maybe two), it splits easily. Winchester case life depends on the rifle's chamber. A tight chamber will last more reloads. In some of those old Yugoslavian SKS's, Winchester cases split on the first firing.

Some of my cases are Fiocchi, but I don't where you would find them other than loaded ammo. They might sell new brass though.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  8. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

So Winchester is basically crap and Lapua is the way to go in this caliber.

Now where have I head that before....either buy the best or don't buy at all?? Oh that's right....that's the official motto of RELOADING! :supergrin:

-Emt1581

9. PBKing

PBKing

As much as I like to handload, the 7.62x39 is not an economical candidate at this time...IMO. Been collecting brass for a while but as long as components alone are more expensive than ComBloc Ammo why?? Still working on that pallet of surplus purchased for $89/k. Besides why waste my time handloading cartridges that are better than the ability of the platform. To each his own.

10. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

This is true...but only when looking at the cheap Winchester/etc. stuff that can only be reloaded once.

If you can reload the brass 10 times, that's quite economical IMO so long as the bullets and primers aren't rediculous.

There does seem to be a huge supply of that brass cased berdan primed stuff coming out....but it's corrosive.

Maybe I'll see if anyone wants to trade me two cases of my .223 Wolf for 2 cases of 7.62x39 Wolf? Or maybe it's just wishful thinking. :supergrin:

-Emt1581

11. sjones

sjones Millennium Member

You might try some gun shows.I picked up 1 bag of remington(110) for $30.00 at the last show I went to..We have one coming up this week end over in ft.worth.

12. PBKing

PBKing

I wouldnt want to discourage you or anyone. I am a firm beleiver in loading every caliber you shoot. Besides someday..proll soon, You will see it become more economical.
    important consideration no doubt

That corrosive stuff has been working for the BG for quite a while. Almost like those AK's were made for it.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  13. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

I didn't say don't buy Winchester. In fact I do buy it but I don't expect to last for many reloads. Try some in your rifle and see how it does. I load full power loads, or at loads that duplicate factory loads and with current American load data that pretty close to max loads. The best load data I've found in Lymans. RL-7 is a good powder but flashy and I know you are loading for a 12" pistol. It is also a bit of a compressed load. The other powders listed by Lymans are also good.

14. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Well for the first time in a few years I shopped around and I'll actually be buying 2000rds. of Russian ammo from Cabelas...with 4 of their big ammo cans FREE for $365 OTD.

Before anyone asks...I have a $100 coupon, $65 in club points, and a $25 gift card...plus the stuff is on sale and I'm having it shipped to the Cabela's store up the road a ways so no shipping fees...just sales tax.

But I figure another 2,000rds of it will last me quite a while. Hell I already have a few tins left plus a TON of strippers/mags loaded.

I just don't want to screw around with cases that won't last long or which cost more than half as much as loaded ammo.

Thanks for all the info!:)

-Emt1581

15. steve4102

steve4102

16. polizei1

polizei1 It WAS Quack

I'm not sure where the link went...but if you're around Ft. Leonard Wood, MO they have a lot of brass for very cheap.

-Cody

17. sdelam

sdelam

I have reloaded 7.62x39 for about 5 years now. Most of the brass I load is range pick-up's. I have Win, Rem (both lg and sm primer), Fed, Fioche, and lapua (the only brass i purchased). I dont load them hot, but they seem hotter than wolf black box, and they all seem to work fine. The rem with the small primers are a PIA but just because they have to be sorted out. Actualy the only brass I've had a failure with is the Lapua, one case had a rupture near the case head on the first fireing. No damage, ejected fine, it just felt funny. I loose more brass due to the AK throwing them all over the damn place than I due to split necks.

As far as economy, it sucks basicly. The best deal I found on bullets was at Wideners a while back, I got 2k 125g SP for around 7 cents each. Only problem is the wont feed well in my ak. I have also loaded 700 or so hornady v-max at 14 cents each, not cheap either but they have good results on the far end. So...
    .07 for bullet and I havnt found any that cheap since.
    .03 for primer
    .07-.09 for powder

I'm still looking at $180 per case. You can buy it for $200 per case if you are paitient. Thats with out buying brass. Add in that I loose 10% of cases each trip due to loss or damaged buy the gun. I load them for fun not because it saves money.

And if your wondering my POS ak dosnt shoot handloads any better then com block fodder. So if you want to load please do, just dont do it to save money.

18. sdelam

sdelam

Good price

19. JesseCJC

JesseCJC

Have you looked into reloading the steel cased hornady practice ammo? I agree that it's more economical to use the combloc though. I saved up my brass I used in my x39 AR and couldn't imagine reloading more than a few times going through the AK as bad is it dented my cases. At least in the AR platform, I don't have to hunt within a 30 foot area to find my cases to save them. But as always, to each their own.