close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best PBJ... wait. PBR... no... PLB?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by mhambi, Sep 20, 2012.

1. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

aka that GPS thingie that can summon SAR help if you need it... or check in w/ family.

I spend a fair amount of time in the outdoors, often in areas/activities that some would consider 'risky'. After reading this news story this morning, I'm revisiting the idea of a personal locator beacon device. Anyone use one... or have researched them? I'm familiar w/ the Spot, but was wondering what else is out there.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/54933651-78/canyon-park-subway-zion.html.csp

The Subway is one of my favorite hikes. Sad to see this happen there. Several things could have prevented it, but I can't help but wonder if a PLB would have brought help in time. Thoughts/prayers go out to all involved.

Here's a couple of pics from a previous trip of mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The place he was rapelling from... it's only about a 12' drop. It's hard to see, but the water is coming in from the top/left of the picture.

[​IMG]

Most people cross over the head of the waterfall and continue on a ledge downcanyon for 20 yards and handline or rapell down this sloping face. We always just hand over hand down it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  2. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

EPIRB (EPRIB???)

Or just SPOT for us novices. Hell, I press the button on my SPOT when I can't find the olives at Stop & Shop.

3. VELO

VELO

Spot is NOT a PLB.

Okay, now that I got that out....

Carrying a PLB is a very wise decision. They are relatively inexpensive and can literally save your life. Be sure to register it with NOAA once you receive it as that will shorten the response time even more.

The ACR ResqLink is one that I would highly recommend. ACR has been in the business of PLBs a very long time and have a great group of folks there. If you'd like a factory contact there I can provide it.

No, I do not work for ACR. I'm actually one of their competitors. However, we don't build PLBs. If you want more information regarding PLBs or the Cospas/Sarsat system that they run on, feel free to ask.

4. VELO

VELO

EPRIBs are for marine use but function similarly to a PLB. An EPRIB will be much larger and not very suitable for hiking and climbing.

5. Dennis in MA

Every time I've pressed it, they have found the right condiment for me. On the spot, no pun intended. So PLB or not, it works for me.

I had forgotten that EPIRB was only marine. They auto-activate when they hit water, too, don't they?

6. VELO

VELO

Some of them do. Not all.

The deal with Spot is that there is nobody in the SAR community actually monitoring them. Sure you can push the emergency button, but that only sends the message to your family. Or, you can pay some additional money per year to have the Spot folks act as 911 for you if you push the button.

A PLB is a one-time purchase with no subscription fees that notifies the AFRCC (Air Force Rescue Coordination Center) of your plight immediately upon activation.

7. Dennis in MA

d'OH. I thought that voice was familiar. It's my wife. SHE knows where the olives are at Stop & Shop!