Best Pay-As-You-Go Cell Service

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Cali-Glock, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

I want to get a cell phone for my wife but don't want a monthly contract - she will not be using her phone much - her last phone was a 1 hour per month type deal. Rather than pay $20-30 a month minimum I am thinking of going with a pay-as-you-go deal.

I am looking at going with T Mobile - at 10 cents a minute when buying in lots of 1000 minutes at a time I don't know how I can go wrong.

Any bad news about T-Mobile - or other carriers or programs I should look at?

Thanks!

2. havensal

havensal Getting older every day! CLM

Around here our only option is Tracfone. Pay $50 or so for the phone and $150 a year for access card and 300 minits. You can add minits as needed, but they are expensive. I only use a few minits a month, so I am paying a fraction of what I did through CellOne. ;c

3. nickg

nickg

i've been using Virgin Mobile for almost a year now. it SURE beats the hell out of so called "plans" that other companies have.

for as much as i use my phone i couldn't even think of p!ss!ng away money for a regular phone "plan". I spend less in three months for TOTAL service than my wife/son pay for their Verizon plan just to HAVE the service EACH month, plus everything on top of that.

good service, good price, good phone, no problems, i'm happy.

the end

4. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

I Like TMobile. I have used their pre-paid for 2 years now. Both my wife and I both have one of their phones. After you put in $100, they give you extra % towards your time. And, you sometimes get to carry your time over for a year. Right now, both of our phones are good until next July, and I only added $10 to each. Buit, we've had the phones a while and have gone over that $100 limit in the amount we have added during the life of the account.

My wife and I usually just send text messagesd back and forth instead of actually speaking on the phone.

5. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Thanks!

T-Mobile definitely had the best deal of the services I could find locally.

Went with a T-Mobile phone - nicer than the phone I currently have with my regular crappy ATT service. Based on the amount of use she will have it is far cheaper than any traditional service as well. She ended up with a nicer phone than I have and to top it off - she can actually get some limited service at our house, wheras I have never gotten service on my phone at my house. Dayum - I need to switch to T-Mobile when I get a chance myself!

6. huntery

huntery

Cheapest I've found was Virgin Mobile, operated on the sprint network.
    only needs a balance of $20 every 90 days.
    the phones are around $30 and that includes $10 in air time.
    sure it's .25/min but I only use it for emergencies and the balance rolls over.
    the phones are tough too, I've dropped mine a few times and they work mainly because they're not those hinged fold up models.

7. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

T-Mobile:
    - Phone: $40 with 150 minutes of airtime
    - 1000 minutes for $100 = 10 cents a minute

8. nickg

nickg

the daily rate basis is 25 cents a minute for the first 10 minutes then the rate drops down to 10 cents a minute.

but they do have like 3 different rate plans you can choose from depending on how much you use it. the standard 25/10 cents/$20 every 90 days plan works good for me.

for the most part i don't use my phone all that much but i have used it quite a bit as i was travelling a lot lately and used it to call my wife or son.

i have a kyocera phone and it is pretty durable. i like the "monoblock" type phones instead of the "clamshell" fold type phones as well, though you can get that style from VM.

9. 10Forward

10Forward SACD music nut

I've been using virgin for two+ years with no problems. Virgin is really Sprint's digital network, so there's that bit of info.

One thing to watch out for now that there are a TON of prepaid plans out there are how often the minutes need to be recharged. When I was first shopping around, trac phone (they've changed i think) and ATT you had to buy minutes every 30 days. Your minutes always roll over, but you had to fork over X amount of minutes every month.

With Virgin it's simple. You can add as little as 20 bucks every 90 days. You can check your phone anytime for balance, and the date you are good till. Let's say you forget, let's say Oct 10 is your last day of service. On oct 15 you realize it. You pay, you still have your number and you're on the road again. Back in the old trac fone days, if I went over one day, I lost my number.

The minutes with virgin are 25 cents a min for the first 10 min of any day, then they drop to 10 cents.

The plan is perfect for a guy like me that just wants it for Road service, or so that someone can get a hold of me on the road. I don't sit on the phone a yap all day, and don't feel like being locked in for 40+ bucks a months for a zillion minutes I'll never use.

I've got caller ID, voice mail, text messaging and e-mail, a color screen and those polyphonic rings. My phone was only 89 bucks. My favorite part of the service is 411. They charge extra, like 75 cents? I forget, but the service is top notch. I remember calling 411 for the number of my local theater in NAPA ca, instead the guy on the line says, I've got the list of movies, what do you wanna hear 'em?

So he calls out movie titles, and he came across something good, I said "yeah that one" he gave me the next showing! It's great. You can do the same if you are looking for a good place to eat and such.

You can top up with cash, or credit card right on your phone. The coverage is pretty good, and rarely if every drops out.

I actually use about 10-15 bucks every 3 month. So the cash just keeps stacking slowly in my phone. I've got about 50 bucks in service. And when I get another virgin phone, I can roll it over. For the person that just wants to have a phone handy, but doesn't gab all day it's perfect.

EVERY service will have someone with a horror story to tell. So go with the best plan for minute price, features, and how often you have to re-up, and just go for it.

Best of luck in your search.

- Tony

10. nickg

nickg

when my sister asked about phone plans i told her to get Virgin Mobile and yet she STILL went with Tracfone.

now she says she hates the Tracfone plan and she's b!tchin' because she "should have gotten Virgin Mobile"....gee, why didn't you do that in the FIRST place? ;Q ;Q