close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best overall turbo diesel pickup truck in your opinion

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by picturethis, Feb 12, 2010.

1. picturethis

picturethis

Who do you think makes the best turbo diesel pickup truck between Chevy, Dodge and Ford? I am going to be looking into one in the future and want to narrow down the search. I am only interested in a turbo diesel model. Please give me your opinions on any of the 3 I listed if you've owned one or driven one. Thank you.

2. sparkyrafa

sparkyrafa

I am a big fan of the Cummins in the dodge. I have owned a 97 ford powerstroke and am currently in an 2002 Dodge cummins with the 5.9 and a 6 speed manual. I feel if you want a truck that handles like a truck buy the Dodge. I have heard good things about the 2010 cummins with the 6 speed auto. For a truck that rides like a caddy the duramax has shown to be a good truck. I like the crew cab fords but I hate that ford constanly change the motor around and seems to have problems with them. This is not to say any of the above trucks don't have their issues. They all do.
    Rafael

3. u4ea

u4ea

I'd say Duramax. All of these trucks can go well over 300,000 miles unless you abuse them badly.

4. Mr_C

Mr_C NRA, GOA member

I am a Ford fan and currently have a 97 F250 with a powerstroke. IMHO, ford builds the best truck, but I don't think they have the best diesel and tranny anymore, which is really too bad. My vote would be for the chevy just because the duramax/allison combination is rock solid. I have friends who own all 3, and while the older fords were great, the newer ones seem to have more problems with the newer motors, and the chevy drivetrain seems to be the most reliable. (it really hurts me to say that).

5. u4ea

u4ea

After doing some quick reading, it seems like the Cummins can make the most power (especially torque) if you push the boost, but the Chevy is the best motor if you leave it stock. The Chevy also looks a lot better than the Dodge, and a bit better than the Ford.

6. packin23

packin23 Welcome Wagon

Hands down, The Dodge Cummins. Especially the new in the new dodge trucks. They've come a long way in the interior comfort department. Plus if you decide to do any performance upgrades, even minor ones, the cummins responds very well.

7. u4ea

u4ea

Do you take your truck mudding? The OP and I are both from Minnesota as well.

8. u4ea

u4ea

They leave a lot to be desired in the looks department, but they make more torque than any of them it seems like.

9. Tvov

Tvov

I had a 2000 F250 7.3 diesel... ran great, good fuel mileage, no problems... really LOUD!! The newer Ford diesels are quieter. I have heard from, well, EVERYONE, to stay away from the 6.0l Ford diesels, but the newer 6.4l diesels are good - and powerful. Ford has yet another new diesel coming out, it may already be available. I don't know anything about it.

Dodge: I have heard nothing but GREAT things about the Cummins diesel. It is a little loud, though. The Dodge Mega-cab is huge, the rear seats can actually recline! lol, but it has a very small cargo bed.

Chevy/GM? The Duramax diesels are wonderfully, blissfully, QUIET. I mean, it is hard to tell they are diesel. And everyone say the Allison transmission is great. Three friends own Duramax trucks, and they all love them.

I just got tired of my Ford diesel, and the 15 quart (yes, that is almost 4 gallons - may have been 14 quarts) oil changes. I now have an F250 crewcab with a 5.4l gas engine -- it tows my camper and family great. The Ford crewcab is very roomy.

I don't know if this helps any!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  10. packin23

packin23 Welcome Wagon

I really like the looks of the Dodge Rams. And your right. They have a huge amount of torque. I have an '01 and it is very strong.

11. alba666

alba666 WWJGD

My late Dad worked for Cummins his whole career. The 5.9 is a lot like a Glock - it just works. With the manual transmission, it is basically an idiot-proof powertrain with great torque (as long as you do maintenance on schedule). If the new auto has enough Daimler technology in it and doesn't have build quality issues, it may be OK. Chrysler has a spotty automatically transmission history, so if you want to play it safe, stick with the manual. I have a coworker with the 5.9/manual combo. He is always looking for a new truck, but can never seem to part ways with the Dodge.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  12. picturethis

picturethis

I'd love to get the Cummins motor in either the Ford or Chevy body. That'd be ideal haha

13. cab980002

cab980002

"DURAMAX" That is all!

14. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Id say dodge has the best diesel engineering. With that said, Im a chevy fan.

15. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

Engine only I'd say Cummins.

That said I have a Duramax Crew cab, the dmax/allison combo is great. I suggest you go to somewhere like www.dieselplace.com and read up.

16. oceanwarrior

oceanwarrior

They all have good and bad points.
    You pays yer money and takes yer choice.
    Have talked to various truck owners,main thing they are happy with THEIR brand of truck.

(I own 2 Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesels)

oceanwarrior

17. southern_boy

southern_boy Tiny

for pulling most of the time dodge
    for pulling a good bit and a daily driver a ford
    for best fuel milage and just a daily driver a chevy

18. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

You left out some vital information; namely what are you going to use it for?

19. eXistenZ

eXistenZ Play it.

20. picturethis

picturethis

Going to be using to to plow snow, as well as turn it into a mudding truck. Maybe turn up the boost a bit and just enjoy it!