Best option for selling used car?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by kestrou, Feb 24, 2010.

1. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

What's options have you had for effectively selling a used car?

I know newspaper readership is down, so not sure if the readership justifies the cost there.

Have never sold on E-Bay or any other online service - any body have success they can recommend?

kestrou

2. Glock Enthusiast

Glock Enthusiast Banned

The fees you will pay to eBay are outrageous on vehicles. You still have to pay them regardless if the vehicle sells or not. If the vehicle does sell you pay eBay ANOTHER percentage on the final sale price. Do not use them.

Your best bet would be to use Craigslist, Autotrader.com, and put it in those used vehicle magazines that you find at party stores and gas stations.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010

3. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

I got my last one off Craigslist

4. Armed-N-Ready

Armed-N-Ready Glock Clone

My business partner uses Graigslist to buy and sell his autos with pretty good success.

5. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

yep. plus the traditional for sale sign on the vehicle.. craigslist will produce a buyer if your price is reasonable.

6. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

IF you have a regular independent mechanic who knows that the car is in good mechanical condition,
    and IF you are willing to sell it quickly at a great price,
    THEN maybe he has another regular customer who might jump on it.

That's how I bought both of my current cars, plus a previous one.
    For the truck, I just kept telling him what I wanted, and to keep an eyeout.

7. Adams454

Adams454

Park it in a local supermarket lot with a sign on it. That's how I sold my 91 toyota 2 years ago.

8. kestrou

kestrou Pin Member #4

Hmmm... early voting has Craigslist out to an early lead! :)

Thanks guys - keep'em coming.

kestrou

9. varmint6

varmint6

try craigslist and backpage but list in a couple of cities if you re within 2 or 3 hrs drive time you will get a lot more exposure i do this for a living if you have any other questions let me know

10. Jon91N/A

Jon91N/A

Owner's forum
    Autotrader
    Craigslist

In that order.

11. hpracing007

hpracing007

What type of car is it?

12. Chuck66

Chuck66 Traveling Man

Craigslist. I sell stuff on there all the time. I sold my Blazer there last year. Had several people contact me within 48 hours, and sold within 72. In my area, you'll have lots of luck selling a car that you price under $4K or $5K. I think that's likely to be true most places. While perusing local ads, I seem to see the same cars listed week after week when they're priced $15K and above, but the cheaper stuff moves. What are you listing?
    PS: I recommend free options. Or cheap. Auto trader will list you for a short time for $5, and till it sells for, I think, $25, with tons of pictures. Vehix is free, with limited pics. eBay is a rip-off. Good exposure, but big fees and hassle of dealing with eBay and their strict rules. I wouldn't list a car on eBay although I sell random junk on there all the time.

13. Geeorge

Geeorge Sarcasm Inc.

Bought my last two from Craigs list.

Be ready for some idiots messaging you about other crap instead of your ad,just delete them as they have links that may have harmfull stuff in them

14. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

What kind of car?
    Just about every make/model has an enthusiasts' forum...sort of like Glocktalk, Sig Forum, etc...except it's for cars.
    Google your model + "forum" and see what pops up; then check for a classifieds section.

15. jasonvp

jasonvp Kantre Member Lifetime Member

The last two used cars I sold were done using EBay. I'm not sure what these folks who are complaining about it are talking about as far as high prices. The charges seemed reasonable to me, and at no point did I pay a percentage of the sale price to them. Perhaps things have changed... I've had no luck with Craigslist.

Posting the car in the Intardwebz will bring a slew of interesting questions and whatnot. Be ready for people who:
    1. don't read the ad clearly, and ask questions that are already answered.
    2. don't intend to buy the car and are just "tire kicking".
    3. are actually interested, and need clarification on points.
    4. are trying to scam you.
    The first group is just annoying, and I don't even bother answering their questions. The second two groups are worth chatting with, because you never know if they'll end up buying the car. Obviously, the fourth group is the one to watch out for, so just use your common sense there.

jas

16. Steve0853

Steve0853

I have only sold one car in quite a while, but I used Craigslist and was amazed at the response. I kept getting calls two weeks AFTER I had sold the vehicle.

Also......Carmax would have bought it for $2,000. It sold to a CL shopper for $4,000.

17. DeltaNu1142

DeltaNu1142 Glock talker

I can recommend Carmax as a great option, I've used it several times.

We took my wife's M-B to Carmax & they gave us a price. Then we went & put it on Craigslist. The offers came in, but we knew what our minimum was--which was $500 more that Carmax would pay ($500 for private sale PITA factor). It worked great.

I've never sold a car to Carmax, but as a backup plan, they're outstanding.

18. Unlocked

Unlocked 4 8 15 16 23 42 CLM

I bought my last truck off of Craigslist.

I recently stuck a sign on an old Chevy I had and decided to give that a couple months before I tried to sell it on Craigslist. It sat out in my driveway for right at two months. I had probably a dozen calls all together and just sold it last night. Besides trading one in, that's about the only way I've ever sold a vehicle personally. A For Sale sign and some patience.

19. glock2619

glock2619 Work in Progres

Just sold my Corolla on craigslist. About 2 weeks and it was gone.

Price it right and it will sell.

Hoping now to find another 4Runner, FJ, Tundra, or Highlander.

Edit: Geeorge said it above, but yes, you will get folks telling you it's priced too low etc and to "click on this link to see the value" blah blah. Scammers. That's the only downside. But, they will usually show within the first few hours (or minutes) of your ad being posted. So, you'll usually have to ignore the first couple emails.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  20. mrbray101

mrbray101

We listed my fiance's car in autotrader. After about a month I drove it up to the supermarket and parked it for the day with a for sale sign. We ended up selling it that day. Might be worth it to park it somewhere busy for a weekend.