Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been on a target gun kick lately and I'm looking to build a Ruger 10/22 and a Smith and Wesson SW22 Victory from the ground up as sort of a target pistol/rifle combo.

I've got some accessories I want to upgrade my SW22 with (mainly a Volquarsten barrel, comp, charging ring, that's about it as I like the grip and trigger) but I can't decide on the type of optic I want to put on it. I like the iron sights, and I think a scope is a little too big/heavy for casual target shooting at the range. I don't plan to shoot at any significant range, just my usual 20ft or maybe a little further. I'm interested in a red dot, but I don't really see the advantage of a red dot over just the standard iron sights.

What's the purpose of a red dot? Are they good for accuracy? Are there any red dots that don't cost more than the gun that are acceptable for accuracy?

Thanks

·
Millennium Number 1143
1,716 Posts
Red dots are a massive force multiplier for accuracy and speed.
The primary arms RDS or even a budget $40 Bushnell Trophy RDS is amazing for accuracy and speed.
I have used a $50 SightMark red dot reflex sight with great results before replacing it with a Primary Arms black friday special. I wanted longer battery life.
Speed and precision is the same.

Reactions: undercover500

·
Registered
506 Posts
Red dots are a massive force multiplier for accuracy and speed.
The primary arms RDS or even a budget $40 Bushnell Trophy RDS is amazing for accuracy and speed.
I have used a $50 SightMark red dot reflex sight with great results before replacing it with a Primary Arms black friday special. I wanted longer battery life.
Speed and precision is the same.
Not to hijack the thread, but I have a Victory .22 and looking at some optics for it.

What is the cost on that Primary Arms, sounds like what I am looking for?

·
Millennium Number 1143
1,716 Posts
Primary arms microdot with rotating dial
$89 right now but I got mine for less around Black Friday

·
Registered
24,257 Posts
I have a 22 Victory and have a Vortex Venom on mine. Very good red dot for a target pistol. I highly suggest it.

Here is a 30 round grouping from the other day with crappy bulk ammo.

Red Circle Recreation Darts Games

·
Consummate Reloader
1,515 Posts
For a 22 that does not have a moving rail you probably want a longer tube sight, like a ultra dot. I have a few of them. One is on a S&W 41 and another on a S&W 22A and both work great, but you could pretty much mount anything on those pistols and it would work.

·
Registered
24,257 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a 22 Victory and have a Vortex Venom on mine. Very good red dot for a target pistol. I highly suggest it.

Here is a 30 round grouping from the other day with crappy bulk ammo.

View attachment 387187
Nice shooting, I have those targets as well, I really like them as they're easy to see, what yardage were you shooting at?

My typical target shooting is done at 17-20ft depending on the gun, any closer it's not a challenge and any further I lose the rate of fire I prefer (about 1 shot a second, sometimes a little faster while still maintaining quarter sized groups at 20ft). The iron sights work just fine, but I'm looking to buy another Victory pistol and put some upgrades into to make it sort of a custom target pistol. That way I'd have two so if one goes down or whatever, I have one to back it up. I'm weird that if I like a gun so much in its stock form that I want to upgrade it, I'd rather buy another and upgrade the new one, that way I can shoot one stock and one modified. Even though they're technically the same, it's like having two completely different pistols.

I looked at the Vortex Venom and it's reasonably priced around $230

·
Registered
24,257 Posts
Nice shooting, I have those targets as well, I really like them as they're easy to see, what yardage were you shooting at?

My typical target shooting is done at 17-20ft depending on the gun, any closer it's not a challenge and any further I lose the rate of fire I prefer (about 1 shot a second, sometimes a little faster while still maintaining quarter sized groups at 20ft). The iron sights work just fine, but I'm looking to buy another Victory pistol and put some upgrades into to make it sort of a custom target pistol. That way I'd have two so if one goes down or whatever, I have one to back it up. I'm weird that if I like a gun so much in its stock form that I want to upgrade it, I'd rather buy another and upgrade the new one, that way I can shoot one stock and one modified. Even though they're technically the same, it's like having two completely different pistols.

I looked at the Vortex Venom and it's reasonably priced around $230
Thanks. Those targets are great and very easy to see your hits. Perfect for rimfire or rifle shooting. I believe that target was at 15 ft. I usually shoot my Victory between 12 and 25 feet. I've only been shooting for a year, so I'm trying to get better. My Victory is stock, except for a TK compensator and the Venom. Wanting to upgrade them is so addictive...and expensive.

I paid $165 shipped for my Vortex Venom from Optic Planet when they were having a sale several months ago. Didn't realize how good of a deal I had gotten at the time.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
A red dot sight has a few advantages over iron sights:

1. It simplifies the aiming process. You put the dot where you want the bullet to go instead of aligning the front sight in the rear notch, then getting the correct sight picture with the target.

2. The dot is easier to see than a front sight. It contrasts better against most targets and requires less effort to maintain focus.

3. A dot sight doesn't shift zero in varying light conditions the way iron sights do. If you shoot outdoors at longer distances, you'll notice that the direction and intensity of the sunlight can cause your groups to shift.

There is one downside that may not be obvious at first: A dot sight or scope will make the movement of the pistol more obvious. Some shooters suffer a loss of trigger control because they have a hard time accepting that movement.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have a Bushnell trs-25 on my Victory. Not expensive but works okay. I'm in an indoor league and we shoot at 75 and 50 feet. Others have much more expensive setups with some wild looking grips. Some have scopes. I'm not shooting that great-more money spent will solve that, right? :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts