Best oil for breaking in a 1911?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Mr Meeseeks, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Johnnyvegas

Johnnyvegas

I love it, got rid of the thin grips (grip screw bushings were necessary), installed a mag well, and fitted an ambi safety. Trigger is a little heavy, but it'll feel light after shooting most Glocks. Fit and finish is really good for a $750.00 1911. It shoots like a .22, my 10mm, and .45 1911s throw brass quite a distance, 9mm Ronin drops the brass about four feet behind my right shoulder. Hope you like yours, be careful, 1911s are addictive.

porschedog and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  2. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

I just use G96 for everything. Cheap, works great. Smells great.

3. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

Grease on the slide railed , barrel bushing little bit on locking lugs . Oil every were else .

Mr Meeseeks and Redeemed like this.
  4. gconan

gconan

I like to lube my 1911's with slipp 2000 30 weight oil. Its a little thicker and seems to stay longer. I used to love their 50 weight but they don't make it any more.

5. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

Congrats on the Ronin. I like the two-tone look on 1911s. I don't do anything special for break in. I use Eezox on all my 1911s. My wife doesn't like the smell of Eezox, so she uses Break-Free CLP her 1911s. I give any of my new firearms a good cleaning and lube before the first trip out. After that, I just shoot 'em, clean them and lube them as I normally would.

6. Ollies930

Ollies930

I think the lube is less important than the fact that 1911s like to run wet. Keep it well lubed and you will be in good shape. On my guns I like to use Lubegard Gun Lube for the simple reason that it is non staining. It is a light weight oil that I rub on the parkerized finish to keep it looking new and apply a small amount on the slide rails, etc. before I go shooting.

7. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I use mobil 1 15 w 50 for all gun oil. Works great to minus 20 degrees outside on a wisconsin horrible winter day. Also seems happy when its 90 degrees out.
    I have had several days of 1200 rounds thru a 1911 in an afternoon. Pre covid ammo prices and availibility. The mobil 1 held up better staying in place than any other gun oil i have used..
    Couple decades ago my sister took her 357 mag revolver to the range. And it was dry dry dry. It would no longer eject cases or operate. I opened the car hood and rubbed the dipstick on the revolver a bunch until it ran great again. Thats what started my using car oil. Mobil 1 is an amazing product and has been for a long time.

I am amazed people cant figure out how to spell mobil .. it is not that tricky. Always see folks deciding to add letters to it. I am on my second quart of it used on guns at this point.

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  8. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

That was a hell of a storm.. i was in the 41 foot sailboat

porschedog likes this.
  9. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

I use whatever lubricant I have handy. It could be Break Free, Wilson Combat pink bottle, Lucas Gun Oil, Rem Oil.
    It’s a gun, not a car revving up to 6000-RPM or a motorcycle revving up to 12,000-RPM.

Even Jerry Miculek with tunes trigger can do at most 600-RPM.

10. Boostnu

Boostnu

I would ask Springfield what they recommend if it’s not listed in the manual. My Dan Wesson manual says to use shooters choice fp-10. Some of my other guns I have used Mobil 1 and some I have used superlube grease from harbor freight.

11. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

1911's LOVE oil. It will like any oil you feed it.

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  12. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

This is consistent with that I’ve been reading. Trust me, when this new Ronin comes in I’m going to run it wetter than [insert metaphor about excessive moisture here]. Can’t wait to really learn the platform. I’m like a kid waiting on Christmas. Sportsman’s Outdoor Superstore is going to be slow to ship with this panic backlog.

Might as well hijack my own thread and ask.. what springs / wear items should I stock up on? Recoil springs are the first thing that come to mind.

13. ScotchWhisky

ScotchWhisky HEMIs, guns, and booze

Congrats and welcome to your new addiction. My 1911s like FP-10.

14. Colt38SuperDude

Colt38SuperDude

I don’t know how other brands’ oil needs are but with a Colt, lubricant need is minimal. Only a few drops at three strategic places.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8xD3BEtQZqc

15. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

You clean and re-oil your firearm after every time you shoot it?
    Then the type of oil doesn't matter one bit.

16. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

There's only 3 parts that can cause problems with a 1911. One is the slide stop pin that holds the barrel link needs to be good quality because it's under a lot of stress especially if you shoot Plus+P.

With a less expensive 1911 this is one part I would immediately replace with a Wilson "bulletproof" unit. Same thing with the extractor which is not under a great deal of stress but needs to be made to spec so that the tolerances are correct and it also has to have good spring tension. A Wilson extractor is a necessary upgrade on cheaper 1911's.

The other part that causes problems with 1911's is magazines and again, Wilson magazines are what you want. I like the 8 round mags with the low profile cast steel base that fit almost flush and I like the black anodized ones (47DCB) for blued guns.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    porschedog and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  17. Bradley T

Bradley T

18. nod1957

nod1957

Every lube mentioned here will work. I have been using Breakfree CLP since 1980 on all my firearms with zero problems. I clean, preserve, and lubricate every thing I own with CLP. It just works.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  19. porschedog

porschedog

My coworker, Vance, says he uses KY on his Jimenez gun
    Funny, I thought he was anti gun.

20. Critch

Critch