Best night sights...

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by cam6702, Mar 27, 2010.

1. cam6702

cam6702 Safety's Off

tried searching but computer keeps saying error so figured id just do this since it will let me. i have a a few pistols i want to get some night sights for especially my carry gun, g21 which has the factory night sights and they just arent what i want. i know there are plenty of brands that have been out there awhile just want to know what you guys prefer. i want the brightest and best out there i dont skimp on expense when it comes to anything for my guns. also what color combos do you guys like the best?

thanks

(sorry if i posted this twice my computer is being stupid)

2. j-glock22

j-glock22

Trijicon or Meprolight will suit you just fine. I've had both and am quite satisfied.

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

4. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

I have one gun with Meps (came on it), one with Trijicons (came on it) and one with AmeriGlos (Operators that I purchased - Green & Yellow). Of the three, I like the AmeriGlos the best (the color contrast really stands out).

5. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

+1 on the Mepros!

DH

6. cam6702

cam6702 Safety's Off

do you guys recommend going with the same color front and back or is their any advantage of going with different colors?

7. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Self-Luminous Tritium Night Sights incorporate small tritium-charged lamps as sight markers. The hermetically sealed lamps consist of glass ampoules coated internally with phosphor and charged with tritium gas (Hydrogen 3). Free electrons in the decaying tritium gas strike and excite the phosphor coating, emitting light, much the way a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitor or older television does. Tritium gas is a byproduct of nuclear fission. Tritium poses no health hazard unless it is ingested or inhaled. On average, you can expect 12+ years of useful light from tritium sights.

Glock OEM Night Sights utilize Meprolight lamps, and when purchased with the gun, are about the best deal going! The OEM models are tennifer-treated, combat-type sights, and often have a staked-on front sight, which pretty much dedicates that sight to one gun. Most aftermarket Meps have the common thread-on front sight. They are excellent bull's-eye sights out to 30-feet or so.

Meprolight Night Sights are rugged, well-made, low profile, combat-type sights, with a wide front blade to rear sight notch aspect. Israeli-made Meprolights were the first tritium night sights marketed for use on popular pistols and rifles. Their large lamps appear brighter than other night sights. The lamps and white plastic o-ring markers appear to be embedded in polished epoxy, which resists solvents and makes for easy cleaning. By design, the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight.

Trijicon Night Sights offer tritium lamps surrounded by an aluminum sleeve, pressed into the sight housing, and covered by a sapphire lens. This lens makes the sight markers appear very sharp in the dark, Vs. Meprolight's glowing orbs, and protects the lamps from external damage. The narrower front blade to rear sight notch aspect will be appreciated by sharper eyed shooters at the range. The quality is excellent, but care should be taken to avoid harsh solvents when cleaning, as the white o-rings are painted on.

AmeriGlo offers the best selection of night sights available. Quality is first-rate, as the sights combine Trijicon lamps with white PVC O-rings for markers. A combination of sight profiles, blade and notch widths, marker configurations, sizes and lamp colors, offers something for everyone. I really like their Operator sights with a green front and yellow rear lamps!

XS Big Dot sights are high quality combat sights, designed for SHTF situations. Place that big white dot on center mass, and if your trigger control is good, you will hit your target, out to 30-feet or better. The night sight picture is pleasing and easily picked up. These are a specialty sight, and many will find them wanting for range use; conversely, others will master them for target use too. More than any sight I know of, people like them or they don't.

Note: Lamp colors are often mixed today, combining the familiar green with yellow or orange, even red or blue tritium lamps. The brighter appearing green, always goes to the front... I personally like the two color set up, using yellow or orange rear lamps, with the green front. Note that green and yellow have a similar lamp-life, while other colors such as orange or red, may have half the lamp-life.

Summary: These are just a few night sights we've had first-hand experience with. There are other quality products, and some not-so-quality products out there to try. Some are innovative and novel--like TrueGlo TFOs. Some are known to be problematic... Any of the premium brands--ie., Novak, Heinie, Dawson Precision, Bomar, etc.---should be excellent. The warranty is a good indicator of the manufacturer's confidence in their product.

--Ray

8. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

I had Meprolights and didn't like them. They were very bright, too bright for me. They would actually obscure you vision in a very dark room. Also the edges were round and shiny so when you shot outdoors there would be so much glare that it made precision shooting difficult.
    I like Heinie Straight Eight sights. Crisp and clear, not too bright. With the front dot above the rear, you never get confused, so there's no need for other colors.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  9. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

+1 great post!

I'm working with AmeriGlo Pro Operators myself, and couldn't be happier! The 20% discount doesn't hurt either. :whistling:

Discount code "GSSF"

10. 04LS1GTO

04LS1GTO

Out of the three dot night sights I've used on various pistols (Triji, Meps, Ameri Glow) I like the Meprolights the best. I think they have a good profile and I think they're the brightest of the three. This is limited on credibility because some of my night sights are older than others, but I'll stand by Meprolight.

11. cam6702

cam6702 Safety's Off

nice to see another ls1 owner on here:cool:

thanks for everyones posts very helpful

12. cam6702

cam6702 Safety's Off

where can you use the 20% code?

13. elde

elde Lifetime Member

You can type in the code as you order from Ameriglo online or you can call them and give them the code at that time. Great people and the largest selection of Glock night sights available.

edit: They use Trijican tritium so the quality of the lamp is first rate. Also ask them about the ProGlo sights....best night sights I've ever used, and I have them all.

14. Bama tactical

Bama tactical

I like the Heinie Straight Eights

15. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Holster Maker

Ameriglo Pro Operators

16. zmarshall

zmarshall Lost Hero

I just had a set of XS Big Dot 24/7 night sights put on my SA-XD 40.

I haven't had a chance to do any live fire drills, but while practicing with the XD unloaded, doing things like multiple target acquisition and moving from room to room, all in low light, I have noticed that they excel in one area more than any 3 dot style sights I have seen. That area is the left/right alignment of the front and rear sights while sweeping the gun. I find that with conventional 3 dot sights, the front sight can get lost while sweeping, but with the XS you just keep the "dot" on the "I" and you are dead on. This "dot the I" sighting method seems to really tighten up the left/right play in my sight picture, I imagine others have noticed the same thing. I am scheduled for an advanced class out at ben avery the 17th of april, we will be doing many drills including shooting while moving, from cover, and low light. I will let you know how the XS big dots perform.

As far as brightness goes, the white is easy to see in daylight, and the tritium is, in my opinion, as bright as it could be with out becoming TOO bright. In low light the sight picture is simply a glowing green version of the day light sight picture, and in total darkness, the brightness does not affect your night vision.

17. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Just put a set of Trijicons on my G19 :supergrin:

18. drew4691

drew4691

I went with Trijicon

19. cam6702

cam6702 Safety's Off

how long will the code be working?

20. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Green/orange Mepros for my G20... :whistling: