Best Motorcycle Jacket

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by AWMP, May 1, 2005.

1. AWMP

AWMP

Looking for a good motorcycle jacket, it needs the following;
    - armor or removeable armor
    - vented really well (texas summers are killer)
    - 3/4 lenght preferred
    - would like nylon (heavy duty)
    - don't want to have to sell my motorcycle to afford the jacket

Is this jacket out there?

2. RBR

RBR

Sometimes too much hot air passing through to your body is a bad thing. As it may cause you to dehydrate/heat-up faster than if it was blocked some, but everybody has different tolerances. That said I usually use my perforrated leather jacket as my "hot weather" jacket and I'm in Houston.

I've been happy with their prices & service. Check out their closeouts
    http://www.newenough.com/index2.htm

3. kshuart

kshuart

+1 for New Enough. I've ordered several things from them and been more than happy with service and prices.

4. RoyG

RoyG NSDQ

5. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

6. OJ

OJ Deceased Millennium Member

Personally, I like the Firstgear mesh-tex for summer but it's not 3/4 length. I wear Hein Gericke Paris/Dakar in winter andit is 3/4 length. Altitudes where I ride are 6000 to 10000 feet so it stays cool most of the year.

;z

7. Wetrudgeon

Wetrudgeon

AWMP:
    A riding friend of ours just purchased a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket that we tried on a recent ride and we like it much. It fills all your specs save that it is not 3/4 length.

We like the jacket so much that we intend to purchase one of our own ASAP. Although we have not dealt with newenough.com before, we are likely to try them, as they come highly recommended by those who have.

We think that our Texas summers can get too hot for any mesh jacket (or any other item of riding apparel). When the heat becomes so, perhaps it is time to park the bike...

We trudge on.

8. OJ

OJ Deceased Millennium Member

I see that I neglected to mention one of the best effects of the mesh-tex jackets. When the temperature goes up, you perspire and the air coming through the jacket as your bike moves is nearly as effective in producing cooling as air conditioning in my auto.

It works in mine and mine is the least desirable color - black. However, that happened to be the only one the shop had that fit me.

;z ;z

9. Riverweasel

Riverweasel

Do yourself a huge favor, listen to OJ.
    Hein Gericke is THE best.

I love my Firstgear V-Pilot.

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

You gotta give us a price range to work with, otherwise it's a shot in the dark. Heine Gerick stuff is top notch, so's Vanson. Vanson has several different jackets with various mesh/perforated leather combinations or mesh-only. I've seen a Joe Rocket that has mesh for the body and perforated leathers for the arms.

BMW has about three or four different types of 3/4 length textile jackets that have some sort of ventilation and/or mesh.

The cheap mesh like Joe Rocket Phoenix or First Geat Mesh-Tex (of which I have) are a little bit better than T-shirt or denim long sleeve, but not much more. As always, there's a trade off for protection between leather and textile and mesh and non-mesh materials. You'll have to make the decision on how to compromise with the price versus comfort versus protection.

11. EdTracker

EdTracker GTDS Lifetime Member

I have a Rocket Pheonix and that is about the coolest high flow jacket you will find. The fact is there is a trade-off between abrasion protection vrs ventilation.

I tried the BMW line and they fit nice and looked great but I am not sure about their definition of ventilation. Eventually I bought a perf. leather by Cortec ($285). It was realitively inexpensive and with the stretch panels made even my fat ass look nice and macho! :p

Not alot of try before you buy options out there. The perf leathers just don't flow as much as the mesh...

Good luck

tracker

12. quinch

quinch Turgid Member Millennium Member

FirstGear is good stuff.

13. Rosey

Rosey

I have a cordura Vanson jacket (can't remember the model name). It has two big flaps in the front that zippered out of the way revealing perforated leather panels. It vents well (I'm in AZ) although I've never tried an all-over perforated leather jacket (so I can't compare). Vanson is prolly worth a looksy. Their quality is very good. I've had my Vanson about eight years now.

14. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Perforated leather helps some but when you get into the 90s and up, it's still hot as hell. You either suck it up and ride in leathers in such temperatures or ride in a textile/mesh jacket. Of course, shorts, T-shirt and flipflops are optional too if you want to be really cool and hip.

15. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

That is affected by two main factors...
    1. The size of your fairing (if any)
    2. The relative humidity in which you are riding

My Cee Bailey 26.5 barn door keeps me in a VERY sheltered pocket and I have to stand on the pegs to get any decent wind blast through the jacket.

I ride in the Houston area, and when the temp is in the 90's and the humidity is in the 70's (or higher), the evaporative effect is nil.

Now, when I was a kid living in Tucson I'd soak my terrycloth t-shirt, zip up my AF flight jacket and stay cool for hours from the evap cooling effect.