Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks.

I've got a really basic question for you all.

As of late, I've been making up for lost time on gun purchases/trades over the last couple weeks.n I went almost three years without buying a single gun......I've made up for that now. I'm moving more from hunting stuff to guns that will see carry, home defense and lots of target use. I'm wanting to get started in some local competition and go from there.

Everything should be in at my lgs by next weekend. I've got few days off week after next to spend a few days at the range.

I want to start these out running well with the best lube and cleaners. There is a bunch of new stuff on the market since I last looked around several years ago. I'm not sure what's what anymore. It seems as if each of the local stores are promoting certain brands/types.

I hope to listen to you and use Midway or the local spots to get the recommended lubes & cleaners on hand before next weekend. Maybe there is another online place you'd recommend, too.

The new guns that are either here or on the way are:

Glock G34 Gen4 MOS

Glock G17 Gen4

Glock G19 Gen4

Kahr CM9

Colt Wiley Clapp Government

Colt LE 6920 Magpul

Remington 870 Magpul

Colt Defender (insanely low price....just put a deposit on it....gonna be month or so)

What are your recommendations to run in each.....is there a lube that works great across the board on them all ?

Sorry for the basic questions. I'm just wanting to get the best performance and life from each of these guns. The verdict is out on the little Kahr.....the rest are guns I've really wanted for some time and finally pulled the trigger on buying.

Summer is here and I have a teenage son who will be making range trips with me and he loves shooting, too. We are going to have a blast....pun intended.

Thank you for your help.

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't over think it. They're guns and not crotch rockets revving up yo 10,000-RPMs.

Get some cheap RemOil, Break Free, Hopps and call it a day.

Cool.

Those are the exact products that I've been using for a long time. I wasn't sure if that was still the goto stuff or if the wheel had been reinvented. :)

Thanks.

· Registered
40 Posts
I use Frog Lube for cleaning and lubrication. Have not had any problems. You need to follow the direction for first time use. Oh yeah, you need a hair dryer. :rolleyes:

· Registered
244 Posts
There are too many good options to list. You do not need anything fancy. I have been using Fire Clean and have been really happy with it. To use properly the gun must be completely free of other oils. Start with break cleaner and then use the Fire Clean. I was sold after putting on the second coat of Fire Clean and noticing all the new carbon that I thought was completely cleaned out. It also does a good job of staying on the parts for a long time.

· Registered
2 Posts
Ballistol is pretty much all you need. Just wipe down the barrel and slide with a rag to get the majority of the dirt off. Spray Ballistol in and on the barrel and slide(away from the firing pin hole). Wipe off the excess and you're good to go.

· Registered
1,260 Posts
Don't over think it. They're guns and not crotch rockets revving up yo 10,000-RPMs..
And hence, why motor oil will work as well as any "gun-specific" snake-oil out there--most of which were invented half a century ago. Modern motor oils have equivalent or better lubricity, tenacity, and solvents as any multi-purpose product on the shelves at a gun store.

I am about 1/5 through the same bottle I bought 5 years ago, and I use it for not only cleaning and lubing firearms, but for lubing rifle cases as well.

· NRA Life Member
13,820 Posts
Mobil 1 works and is a fraction of the costs of some of the "miracle" gun oils out there.

Breakfree CLP works and isn't too expensive if you buy it in quart size spray bottles.

In terms of solvents? Ed's Red is a homemade gun solvent that's been around for a LONG time and the recipe is easy to Google. Or you can pay $8 for a few ounces of one of the bore cleaners. Shooter's Choice is an long time industry favorite. Montana Gold works fine... Hoppes is OK but not very good for copper and lead fouling.

A couple of good bronze bore brushes and some cleaning rods/jags and you are set. Dewey coated rods are all I use.

Boresnakes are field expedient cleaning tools. The do a mediocre job of cleaning a gun barrel.

· Banned
63,200 Posts
I'm sure that there are 21st Century gun lube that go for $40/oz that will do everything including tossing your salad.

But ask yourself this: is this gun of yours going to be shot 10,000-rds rapid full auto fire without stopping? Or a cleaning in between? If they are then by all means, get the magic lube. If not then the good old fashion lube will do just fine.

Same thing with magic oil in your car. Is your car a track car that will be flocked on the race tracks with regularity and engine peaking out at red line? Or is it going to be a street car with an occasional stop light drag race or maybe a 150-MPH dash on an empty back road highway once in a great blue moon?

If it's the latter then what's the point of using Formula 1/NASCAR grade oil?

· USS Texas BB-35
4,639 Posts
I use the same Mobil 1 on my firearms as I use in the Honda and Acura (Honda V6).
Lots of folks shooting suppressed use a Diesel oil (Shell Rotella, Delvac, etc..) due to extra carbon shedding ability.
If you HAVE to spend lots of money Fireclean is getting very good reviews.

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, everyone.

I appreciate the comments and insight.

I just wanted to ensure that I started out with a good plan on guns that I'm going to be hanging onto for a long, long time.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.