Best Light, Optic or Laser Setup For Home/Self Defense

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by piedmont, Oct 6, 2018.

1. piedmont

piedmont

What combination(s) of those listed below have you found to be the idea setup for a home self defense pistol (assume pistol has an integrated rail for use as desired)? Please also provide specific brands/models for each item you may prefer.

1. Night sights
    2. Red dot optic
    3. Laser
    4. Light/Laser combination
    5. Tactical flashlight
    6. Other

2. Current Resident

Current Resident

I like the offerings from O Light for rail mounted flashlights, brite and affordable.

fasteddie565 and Lawdog3 like this.

3. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

I find that that the combination of tritium sights, Crimson Trace lasergrips and a Surefire held via the Harries technique works extremely well for me. I took a nighttime low light course and was very impressed with the speed and accuracy of this setup.

Errick likes this.
  4. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness

Night sights and flashlight.

5. Lawdog3

Lawdog3 " Fast is fine but, accuracy is everything"

I couldn't agree more. I signed up for the news letter to get all of the up coming sales from Olight. I bought 2ea. PL2 Valkyries for 59.00 a piece free shipping. So so much brighter than my TLR-1. I think they are a great value and even better rail mounted light than any of my others. I picked up one from Olight to match my 19X when they offered the limited run on their color matching light. They are a great light for sure.

Current Resident likes this.
  6. Bwillis

Bwillis NRA LIfe Member

Pistol F/o front

Surefire ed1 with thyrum switchback

11” sbr with a surefire m300 and tapeswitch

Dog and alarm

7. Rocky7

Rocky7 Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member

656F3CA4-2D13-457D-97EA-323E6D01BE70.jpeg F0D8BE48-D2D9-45BC-9E4D-4490F24BBFD1.jpeg Here’s some pics:

8. glide

glide Just sayin'

I've been using Sure Fire weapon lights for years. I don't see the need to use anything else. I also use a Lasermax guide rod laser optic. I've had mine on my EDC pistol for years with thousands of rounds through the gun without any issues.

9. piedmont

piedmont

Thank you to everyone who has replied so far. Hopefully more will respond with their favorite setup(s). Trying to benefit from knowledge base here & get as many ideas as possible before purchasing self defense accessories.

One of my hardest decision might be which of my pistols I'll end up using as my primary home defense handgun. Leaning towards one where I also have a magazine compatible carbine to pair with.

10. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

[​IMG]
    If in the dark, become the dark. If in the light, become the shadow.
    You know your house. People here must live in caves. Get up and walk around the house in the night. It is brighter than most imagine. You have the advantage. You know the house and have night vision. They don't know the house and may not. Don't become a target,

pAZ Ron likes this.
  11. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

Not Glock specific; moved to Tactics and Training.

12. TheDuckhunter

TheDuckhunter

A G17 with a rail mounted Surefire X300-U, for use after my rifle goes empty, God forbid.

13. pAZ Ron

pAZ Ron

Sights: Crimson Trace Laser grips (M&P model) AND Dawson "Suppressor Height" tritium sights
    Lights: WML is a Streamlight TLR 1HL AND a tactical handheld light I got "free" from the NRA.

This HD gun also has a red dot (Trijicon RMR 06) on it, hence the need for the high night sights to be able to cowitness. But I do not like to use the red dot for low light/dark. The red dot is for daytime field use and fun and games at the range.

I like the laser and night sight combination best to have options for low light and the dark.

That's my setup on my full size HD gun and I use it because ... I have it and like options.

But I don't sweat it a bit to switch out and use my G23 with TruGlo TFO sights and WML TLR 3 as HD gun. with same handheld light. The common theme for my HD is always night sights, WML, and a handheld ... and to practice enough with what ever combo I am using.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  14. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

I have used Surefires for years, but jesus mary and joseph its impossible for them to make a pistol light for under $300. I tried Inforce, after about 500 rds, they start to flicker and respond slowly. I have 3-4 of the full size and compact O lights, one with about 1k rds over it. Nary an issue and the compact light charging system is just too easy to use. FWIW, my hoslters that fit a pistol wit a SF X300 U will also fit the same pistol with a full size O light.

15. Jerry52

Jerry52

3 or 4 cell mag light great for when they get to close