Best hearing protection

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by sigman69, Mar 2, 2010.

1. sigman69

sigman69

I have a set of impact sport muffs that work well. I was wondering what are people's thoughts on the molded ear plugs? do they work as well? What is model out there offers the best protection?

Thanks

2. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48

The best answer is "The best protection is one that you will wear often and correctly." The molded ear plugs have the benefit of being the correct size for your ear, but you have to insert them correctly to have them give you the best protection.

The way to go, if you want to spend the money, is probably the electronic ear muffs that cap all noise at around 80-85 dB.

3. Ranger54

Ranger54

According to an audiology professor in my club, molded is the best since they fill the ear channel, but get them from an audiologist, not from the gun show. Mine were $125. For absolutely the best protection, molded plus over the ear.

4. Jon_R

Jon_R

Do you just shoot handguns or also long guns. I shoot both often and find muffs cumbersome to shooting long guns so I just use disposable foam plugs I get in bulk from Lowes when I am shooting and then muffs when I am ROing / SOing.

I like these with a dealer cost $25 probably not the best but if they have issues I just pick up another one.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=774928

5. DeltaNu1142

DeltaNu1142 Glock talker

I went to the range Saturday with a LEO buddy--me with my muffs, and him with his foam plugs. Shooting a pistol, fine. Shooting his AR? Awful with muffs. Some of the foam plugs available at Walgreens for $10/3-pk advertise >30dB reduction. I'll be getting the disposable foam plugs from now on out.

6. ronin.45

ronin.45

For outdoor shooting I like the Surefire plugs. They have good reduction while being very comfortable for long term wear. For indoor or loud outdoor stuff I like electronic muffs. I've had several of the big brands and they all work well. For really loud indoor stuff I will wear the Surefire plugs under the electronic muffs.

7. Jon_R

Jon_R

I have a carbine class on Sunday and debating what to start with for ear protection. I normally use plugs for everything when I am shooting but the class is 700 rounds per shooter and there will be 8 of us on the line shooting .223 ARs. It will be outside at least..... I really don't like muffs with rifles but I will at least bring them.

8. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Peltor Tac 6 electric ears, because you can hear your buddies talking **** about you....