close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best gun light for Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by mikegun, May 5, 2007.

1. mikegun

mikegun

Who makes the best, most compact gun light for a glock pistol? thanks for your help guys...PRICE>>>>

2. Glocker1984

Glocker1984

I don't really know about the "best", but here are the two I like:

Surefire X200 ($250)
    Streamlight TLR-1 ($105)

If I had to choose, I'd go with the Surefire. :thumbsup:

3. 1bigtaco

1bigtaco

Also the Insight M3X is a good one!

4. DennisP

DennisP

Question, What will you be using it for? Home defense? Patrol work, or just a neat gaget that you want to have?

Anything short of patrol, why not go with the Glock taclight? I do not own one but I have seen and handled them and they are pretty nice. Plus you can get one for under a hundred bucks.

Just my two cents.

Dennis P.

5. camslam

camslam

I agree that it really depends on what you want it for.

I've got an Insight Technology M6 light/laser on my Glock 21 that is next to the bed and I love it. The light is strong enough to blind someone and the laser is a nice addition especially at night when things go bump in the night. It wasn't cheap at $240.00, but it is more than worth it to me.

6. camslam

camslam

I agree that it really depends on what you want it for.

I've got an Insight Technology M6 light/laser on my Glock 21 that is next to the bed and I love it. The light is strong enough to blind someone and the laser is a nice addition especially at night when things go bump in the night. It wasn't cheap at $240.00, but it is more than worth it to me.

7. T. Harless

T. Harless

I'd tend to agree with DennisP. I have the original Glock light as well as the laser/light combo. Can't beat them for the money.

8. buster55

buster55 Senior Member CLM

9. shaneevans1

shaneevans1

As info, was looking at the streamlight tlr-1 in the police supply shop the other day.
    It has a no excuses lifetime warranty. Well, on a cops salary, that carrys a little weight, knowing that I can walk in the place, and they will either fix it on the spot or replace it.

We use the Insight M6X IR where cost is not such a consideration, but personal purchase, I like LED because of battery life, and more or less never having to buy another bulb module. (ive been through 2 on my M3)

At about 100 bucks, just incredible price too.
    Several of the guys have epoxied a cheap nylon pic rail on their helmets, and use weapon lights there.

10. chemboy

chemboy

I have both the M3 and M6-M3 on my Benelli M4 and the M6 on my Glock 22.
    They seem like good lights, but I have never tried any of the other ones.

11. G19cPH

G19cPH

Surefire and Streamlight for me.:thumbsup:

12. ajstrider

ajstrider Silent Warrior

I have got a Surefire X200B and haven't looked back since. It is perfect for handguns. If I was going to put it on a long gun I would probably go for the A version, it throws a longer beam. The B is perfect for indoors, room to room use. And I think they under rate the battery run time, my batteries last forever on mine.

13. RayB

RayB Retired Member

For indoor use, hands down the SureFire X200B is the best, to meet the criterion you've mentioned. But it is a spendy little bugger!

The TLR-1 is a great light at a super price. It is not a SureFire, but it is plenty light for most people.

LED is the way to go... These light emitting semi-conductors have a service life measured in thousands of hours, and are virtually impervious to shock. They're like 40% efficient, compared to 6% for the best high-tech bulb--so battery life is ramped up!

Please find attached pic, of the SureFire X200 A & B's beam patterns, in a fully darkened room, under identical conditions.

As ajstrider points out, the X200A throws a spot beam a greater distance, and could probably serve as a targeting light on a shotgun. But the B's superiority indoors is immediately apparent.

--Ray

14. D4RWlN

D4RWlN

I think you mean "the B's indoors is immediately apparent"?

I have had an x200b almost as long as its been out. Its pricey but maaaaan as soon as I turned it on the first time I was blown away. Now I want an A model for my AR15. Unfortunately, my batteries do die pretty quickly(1hr - 1 1/2) Its still awesome. :thumbsup:

15. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Thanks, man! I'm just anal enough to correct it too! ;)

Yeah, you're right! This is one of those "Oh Wow!" products.

I've also replaced the batteries in both of mine...

The range on the X200A is stunning for its size! Indoors, the spot is haloed by a wide coronal ring, that doesn't fit in the photo's frame. It's not really useful, but it looks way cool!

Here's (attached) the X200A with LaserMax...

--Ray

16. SilverState

SilverState

Not a Glock, but I dig on my Surefire:
    [​IMG]

17. AJSully421

AJSully421 Armed Citizen

I currently own the glock light, glock light / laser combo, streamlight tlr-1 light and tlr 2 light / laser, and have previously owned surefire x200. glock light is the cheapest, and for screwing around, night rabbit / raccoon hunting, and or HD it is fine, if you are going to carry with it, or anything more severe, the streamlights are top notch. surefire is too expensive for what you get, there is nothing that the tlr-1 won't do, i keep the tlr-2 on my ar-15 and switch the glock light / laser and tlr 1 on my G17. the tlr series is +1 becuase of the LED.... if i had to choose one, it would be the tlr 2 with the laser, it is too neat to have a little red dot ON your target, great if you are scared awake and still groggy while confronting BG in the house

18. RayB

RayB Retired Member

That is an opinion, and while that's all well and fine, it is not a fact, and should not be regarded as a fact.

You might opine that the TLR is all any average Joe will ever need, and that's certainly closer to the truth.

I like the TLRs. They're a great value. But they are NOT SureFire X200s, in the same way a Casio's not a Rolex, and that's all there is to it.

--Ray

19. OD GASTON

OD GASTON 05' RUBICON

Two Streamlight TLR-1's for me. Love them. Good bright white light.:thumbsup:

20. RayB

RayB Retired Member

The TLR's were not fully introduced when I bought our two X200s. I certainly would have considered it!

I have subsequently looked at the TLR-1 and was impressed with it--especially at its retail price!

The TRL-1 sort of fills the niche between X200 A & B, performance-wise, too.

The X200A has a TIR projector lens with a 3-watt Luxeon LED.

The X200B has a micro-textured reflector with a 5-watt Luxeon LED.

The TLR-1 has a simple reflector with a 3-watt Luxeon LED.

I took the TLR-1 into the men's room at the gun shop, and killed the light. It sure does the job! :thumbsup:

As for the SureFires, they certainly have their talking points! They're exquisitely crafted, with specifications to meet the worst possible working conditions. Their construction borders on exotic. The bodies are "milled" from a solid billet of aircraft aluminum. The lenses are Pyrex, transparent ceramic (Space Shuttle Windshield). The anodizing is at the top-end of what's doable. The water-proofing is good at scuba diving depths. Plus, there's the switch options, and SureFire's policy of making upgrades available--and a lifetime warranty.

Are the X200s more than most people need? Probably. But their only downside is the price.

Is the TLR as much as most people need? Probably. But they're not X200s, and at a third the price, don't claim to be.

I've read articles that spoke of Glock Lights, and others, failing during intense weapons drills. Never happens with an X200! :banana:

If it absolutely, positively has to work, every time, the X200 still leads the pack! :tongueout:

--Ray