Best Glock for competition?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Babysinister, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Babysinister

Babysinister

I was going to do a search for this topic but the search engine is currently listed as disabled. I'm considering joining the local IDPA group, but I realize that my G19, which is a great carry gun and range gun, may not necessarily be the best choice for competition. I just bought a book that rates the relative competitive range effectivess of the Glocks, rating the Glock 37 much higher than the G19. My problem with the 37 is that the 45 GAP round, which I've never shot, could prove too much of a novelty round. I like 45 ACP, but not in the available Glock model (too large for my hands). Any opinions/suggestions on all this?

2. AcenJay

AcenJay

The most popular and probably best Glock for IDPA is the 34.

3. shortcircuit

shortcircuit

+1

4. Yar

Yar

Yes I would reccomend 9mm because of the price of ammo. Then you can afford to practice. The cost of 45 GAP is very pricey for those of us without a lot of discretionary income.

5. Glock Dave

Glock Dave

Yes the Glock 34 is a popular choice for IDPA. Personally, I prefer the G17. For some reason I like the way it balances better. I also feel it has less muzzle flip and I can get follow up shots quicker. Maybe it's just me. Not many shoot a G37 around here. A few guys shoot a G21 in CDP division but the 34 and 17 are more popular by a wide margin.

6. GlockRik

GlockRik

1. Unless you reload, shoot 9mm. Ammo is expensive.
    2. A good shooter can be competitive with the G 19. Shoot it until you feel it's holding you back, which may be never.
    3. Regardless of what the book said, I don't think you will find many 45 GAPs at matches.

Just get started, plenty of time later to decide what gun you like best, but the 19 is more than adequate.

Best, Rik

7. Babysinister

Babysinister

My bad. The top rated in the book I'm referring to is the 35, not the 37. And anyway the book also rates the 34 over the 37 for competitive shooting. The book I'm referring to is Robin Taylor's "The Glock in Competition" (2nd ed.), which displays a Glock 37 on the cover. Thank you for all the replies - obviously the 34 is certainly popular in the competitive range! I appreciate the vote of confidence for the 9mm in competition, as this has been my favorite round for practice since I relinquished my 1911 back in 1986.

8. Glock Dave

Glock Dave

In IDPA most people use 9mm since there is no major/minor scoring like USPSA/IPSC. Unless you shoot CDP which requires 45's anyway.

9. Bogey

Bogey The Mouth® CLM

I've tried a 34 in a match before. My 17 works better for me. I'd LOVE to try a 19.:thumbsup:

10. RUReady

RUReady

I use the G34 for both USPSA and IDPA. The G17 is set up the same as the G34. It's a personal preference thing. Whichever you decide on make up your mind to dry fire a lot, and shoot...a lot. There is no substitute for that.

11. shootingbuff

shootingbuff Millennium Member

19 is fine. I like the full size over the P/Ts and use compacts and subcompacts. They will if you will.

Use what you got for 6 months to a year and put your money into ammo (practice) Then if you want to stay with the game you have a better idea of what you want and you should try before you buy whenever possible.

sb

12. Aristotle13

Aristotle13 Senior Member

I had the pleasure of shooting with Robin yesterday at a local IPSC match, very nice guy, and very very proficient with his Glock 34. :thumbsup:

I shoot both IDPA and IPSC. For IDPA, hands down for me I prefer my Glock 17. Best all around gun really.

for IPSC, because I like to shoot Limited, I shoot my G35 in Major.

if I had to do it over again and only shoot one gun. I'd chose my 35 because it's more versatile, and if need be, I can easily and very inexpensively buy some barrels and shoot 9mm as well as .357 sig.

13. Suburban

Suburban

You would probably be better served with a bunch of practice ammo, rather than a new pistol.

If you just want to have something new, that's okay too. A used 17 or 22 and an extra case of ammo would probably be better than a new 34 or 35 (the long-slide Glocks are hard to find used). Lone Wolf is working on conversion slides anyway.

14. USMC06

USMC06 USMC Retired

As has been repeated above several times, the G34 is the obvious favorite for IDPA matches and I normally use a G34 at matches. The G35 may be more popular at IPSC/USPSA matches because of the minor/major scoring.

I personally think you have a great gun to start with. I've used a G19 at several IDPA matches and did not feel outclassed.

I recommend you start and get familiar with IDPA using your G19 and somewhere down the fun road, make a decision as to what you prefer most.