close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best Glock choice for Production USPSA?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Glock Guru, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Glock Guru

Glock Guru FIREARMS DEALER

What is the best 9mm Glock model for USPSA (the 17, 17L or the 34)?

The 9mm seems to by the caliber of choice in Production from what I have seen on the local and regional level as far as IPSC / USPSA goes anyway.

Thanks for the input

2. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

The 17L is not legal for production.

The 34 is my pick for USPSA Pro

The 34 is not legal for IPSC Pro so there I would use a 17.

3. mjrod

mjrod

The 34 has my vote. Ammo is cheap, shoots accurate. I blacked out the rear site and will black out the front sight this week.

I purchased a G35 before the 34 and shot Prod for about a year. It is nice also, but the ammo is a little more expensive and you need to reload to get it down to a reasonable PF. I am shooting a Precision 185, 4 grains of Tightgroup and chronoed today between 163 - 170 with 12 rounds, With the 35, you can move back and forth between Prod, and L10.

But, like I said, I got both and love it

4. joseywales

joseywales

Guru,

G34 is my pick too.
    Put a pair of Heine Race Cut's from CGR, stock up on CCI Blazer ammo (3.99/box of 50) and get ready for a ton of fun shooting USPSA.

5. marvin

marvin sci-fi nut

for winning the 34 is the way to go. but the 17 doesn't really give up that much if you get a 3.5 pound trigger.

josey, where do you get blazer for 3.99 a box! cheapest i've found was 5.50.

6. Joe D

Joe D Guest

I have a 34 and a 35. The 35 will shoot softer when both are loaded to a 130 pf. The G35 is much more versatile. With a G35 you can shoot IPSC Production, Lim. 10 and Limited, IDPA SSP and ESP. If you do not reload then the G34 is the way to go. Academy Sports carries Blazer for $3.95. I think it is only a southern based chain.

7. mjrod

mjrod

Joe, What load are u using to get the 130 PF on the 35? Bullet, powder?

8. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

I shoot a G23(KKM barrel)in Production my load is:

N320/3.8gr, Mt Gold/180gr CMJ, WW SP, any case, OAL 1.125

This is a VERY soft load. You could use less powder with the longer barrel in the G35.

9. Joe D

Joe D Guest

Mjrod, I use 3.2 gr. of Titegroup and 180 gr. Rainier HP plated bullet, OAL of 1.130". My G35 will actually make the PF with 3.0 gr. The gun just seems a little slow. I read on this site and others where guys can't get their Glocks to function at a low power factor. I think my 34 & 35 would function at a 100 PF.

10. Mayonaise

Mayonaise

I'll bet it does now. ;f ;a ;f

11. joseywales

joseywales

Marvin,

Joe D's got it, Academy Sports 3.99/everyday price.

12. Joe D

Joe D Guest

Ha,Ha, Mayonaise if you will remember back a couple of years ago after an IDPA match at South River there were four people that chrono'd their loads to make sure they were "legal" for the upcoming Ga. State Championship Match. As I recall there was only one guy whose load made the PF. Help me my memory is bad, whose load was that?

13. Mayonaise

Mayonaise

That was me. Newbie reloader back then. I seem to remember someone just squeaking past the chrono at the nats in '02.

Joe, don't get defensive! You should wear the "Uber Gamer" badge w/ honor! Think of all the powder you save. You should start swaging 230gr .40's and just run on the primers. You'll just have to learn the holdover for 10yds. ;f

14. Joe D

Joe D Guest

You are correct my load just did squeak by(720 fps)at the Nationals. The week before I had chrono'd that load at ACM. It went 750-760 fps. Their screens must have been off a little.

15. G34MAN

G34MAN

ummmm,

G34 (go figure) with a Ghost Rocket connector, Heinie Slant Pros and Geco 124 gr ammo.

16. plumbum

plumbum

i thought the g34 came with a 3.5 connector??

hey guys. prod, has to be a DAO right? or can it be a TDA(first shot double/rest single?)

which i dont know why you would want that if you could just get a glock with 3.5 the whole time...

what other pistols are competitve in production... or what can you use?
    what are the most used? glocks and what else?

sig
    kahr
    h&k
    para o

17. plumbum

plumbum

mjrod

got a quick question for ya.

when you are using your loads to meet the power factor, are you using a differant spring.. (wolff 12,14,15,16 )and guide rod, or just same factory 17lb....

18. mjrod

mjrod

I am new to this, but here is what I did for my G35. I use 4 grains of Tightgroup and was seeing 163 to 170 on the chrono. I was advised to use 4.1 to be safe.

I bought a titaneum guiderod from Glockmiester, which was non-captured, so I also purchased a 17lb flat spring for it. I switch them between my G34 and 35. I was talking to someone this weekend who said they were using a 14lb spring with 2.8 grains of Tightgroup on a G35 and it ran well. I need to experiment more. I am using presicion bullets with a stock barrel on the G35, but have been warned to use a Barstow, or KKM.

19. plumbum

plumbum

mjrod, i currently shoot p.p.c

with get this a GLOCK 30! i dont load, but my ucnle does. i am using 4.4gr. win231 with ranier jhp oal 1.204. .45cal.

and i am using a 25#spring. that is the lowest they make in that gun.

if you shoot 2.8gr. with a 14#spring you wont be using that for uspsa because it wont meet power factor right?

20. mannishboy

mannishboy Go Vikes!

I shot my G35 this past weekend downloaded to a minor power factor and was amazed at how soft it shot a Production classifier. It is very versatile. I've shot the same gun in L-10 and Limited for 1-1/2 years and may be doing a lot more Production in the future!

;)