close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

best gaming pc

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by troyboy30, Aug 17, 2004.

1. troyboy30

troyboy30

Would you guys go with a dell xps or an alienware pc?

2. Soujurn

Soujurn Deus Diligo USA

Neither. I'd build my own. Especially if I had the money.

Any ones pre-assembled PC is going to have weak links, beacause marketing drives engineering in big companies. They have to reach a price point, and the engineers have to abide by that.

In building your own, you can get the best of everything. Cases, cooling systems, bleeding edge CPu's and RAM, blazing fast hard drives, etc... You name it.

Of course, money is an issue with most of us, but I still say, build your own.

If your heart is set on notebooks though, I think both of the ones you mention are pretty close... Let price be your guide I guess.

3. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

If you are looking to buy a gamming PC you might as well build your own.

4. troyboy30

troyboy30

No offense, but I didn't mention anything about building my own. I asked about views on two systems. if you don't have input about those two choices there is no need to answer.

5. HA[o2]FA

HA[o2]FA

Wow. No Offense to you but you got some damn good advice. You want me to tell you about those? Someone above mentioned them being notebooks. If its for gaming, BUILD A DESKTOP!

There, how about that? ;Q

FA

6. Guest

Build your own. BUT, if you must ask for advice on the two you mentioned, then I would go for Dell because of the customer service.

But

Build your own man, it's far cheaper and more configurable. ;9

7. Tennessee Slim

Tennessee Slim Señor Member CLM

Alienware builds the most uncompromising store-bought computer available today. They are pricey but jumpin’ jehosiphat, look at their specs!

8. Maxthemutt

Maxthemutt

I'm typing on my two month old XPS now and I love it. I thought alot about this before I bought mine and to me the XPS is the best store bought machine for the money. Mine is a Gen I not III so I can't comment on the Gen III's. I got some extra money off from coupons on the net.

Good luck with your decision, Max ;c ;c ;c

9. plato

plato softie

Haha!

Dells are nice for the office but I'm done with Dell.

Money no object = Alienware

Desktop > laptop (for gaming)

Full size tube monitors > LCD monitors (for gaming)

The key is much RAM and 'video card' selection. (Geforce 6800 Ultra)

Buy a PC Gamer magazine, bunch of decent prices for gaming machines in there with many websites/links.

Not everybody is willing to build their own comp.

www.ibuypower.com

www.falcon-nw.com

www.cyberpowerinc.com

www.hypersonic-pc.com

www.viciouspc.com

;g

Gimme some! *wink*

10. troyboy30

troyboy30

I know the prices and I know how to build my own. With the components i want, it will cost me just as much to build my own. Just wanted some input on who you guys thought was the best out of the gate. Here's what I am shooting for. You show me somewhere I can build my own and make payments on the parts and I'm all for it! lol

pentium 4 560
    925x chipset
    1024mb dual channel pc-4200 ddr2 sdram
    ati radeon x800 xt plat or leadtek winfast a400
    240gb serial ata150 raid 0
    sound blaster audigy 2 zs 7.1 or plat
    creative labs giga s750
    dual layer dvd burner
    2nd dvd drive or cd drive
    dell 2001fp 20 inch lcd

11. eno801

eno801

I would go with dell. I have a Dimension 8100 for about 4 years now and with minor upgrades over time(video card, bigger hdd, more ram) it is still able to run doom 3 and far cry all details max and never any hardware problems whatsoever only problem was WinMe, but that is another topic. Also to all the people saying build your own, i used to do that ,but now the difference in price between that and a Dell aree not that great that I want to spend time configuring everything hardware wise.I would just rather take it out the box and plug it in and start using it. just my 2 cents.

12. plato

plato softie

13. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Either Alienware or Falcon Northwest Computers make good products.

The Alienware Area-51M is a marginally-capable gaming machine, and probably better than any other laptop.

Any serious gamer will want a desktop that gives freedom for expandability, faster components, better cooling, ect. ect.

If you were looking at desktops, my advice would be the one you so loathe to hear: build your own or have it built locally to your specifications.

My rig cost me less than $1500, but to buy the same thing (well, lower-quality components that will return similar benchmark scores) from an OEM vendor will cost you from $3000 to $5000!

That is nuts, IMHO.

As far as laptop gaming rigs go, though, the Alienware Area-51M will cost $2100-$3000 and has decent playability, but with the FX 5700 graphics card...well, it is already semi-obsolete and will suffer badly on newer games with eye-candy running. It does have a fast CPU and a DVD-RW drive.

But that's your best bet. I would not consider any other OEM because their notebooks use 'slower' LCD screens that will blur the image badly in games. Even many desktop LCD monitors share this problem, which is why CRT's are still preferred by hardcore gamers.

Good luck,

FastVFR

14. Soujurn

Soujurn Deus Diligo USA

Well offense taken.
    Your thread title said "Best gaming PC."
    Well, your two choices won't fit that bill.
    I tried to point that out.
    The advice you get in these forums is worth exactly what you think it is worth, considering it is free.
    Take what is offered. If you can use it, fine, if not, ignore it.
    No need to talk down to people or chew 'em out.
    See if I respond to you again.;Q

15. troyboy30

troyboy30

EAD

I asked for opinions on which of the two options was the best gaming pc, nothing else. I can build the best gaming pc myself If I had the 14k to put into it.

you might want to read the question again, it wasn't open ended. you only had two choices, shouldn't have been that difficult. glad I didn't ask an essay question.

don't respond again, you didn't answer the question in the 1st place.

I went ahead an ordered a alienware area-51 extreme for $3400. Parts alone would have cost me $2800. It was well worth the 600 bux for them to do the work, bundle the software and provide tech support for 3 years. Thanks for the input guys.

16. tgtshuter

tgtshuter Too Beaucoup

17. Halo

Halo Millennium Member

There's a lot to be said for diplomacy!

18. HA[o2]FA

HA[o2]FA

3400!!!!!!!

I could update my desktop with top notch components and buy 5 more glocks with that much!!! ;g

And as for the responses... Advice on the internet is what its worth. Take for that. The overwhelming majority of the people that responded told you that you could build a desktop for expansion, for fractions of the cost. A simple response? "Thanks guys, despite your advice which i appriciate the time and effort for actually posting in my thread, but i bought the alienware." Not "dont respond again... lucky I didnt write an essay question....blah blah blah."
    I wrote many essay questions in college, I also learned a lot about time and money management. Good luck with your 3400 computer.;z

FA

19. troyboy30

troyboy30

Like I said..there was a $600 difference in building it myself and buying it from alienware...not a bad deal for not having to do the work in my eyes. Actually the bundled software cutts that amount in half. I could have done it alot cheaper if I could have stayed away from that 22 inch lcd and $500 video card. ;)

20. wprebeck

wprebeck Got quacks?

If you'd like to give me the $600 next time, I'll install the parts for you. I figure that'll earn me somewhere in the neighborhood of $200/hr (and that's if things go horribly wrong during the install) at the least, but probably about $300/hr.

I built my current system, fried the motherboard and HD about a year later, and had to replace both. Windows XP install gave me more trouble than plugging up HDD's and RAM.