Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to prepare my G19 for GSSF matches and still shoot in stock class. I know the best prep is practice and I plan to do just that. Are there any tips or suggestions to improve my G19 like the 3.5 lb connector. I would like a lighter trigger but want crispness also, there seems to be various opinions on the value of this change. What is the single best thing I can do to my G19 to improve my chances of doing well in GSSF matches.

Thanks in advance
Bruce

·
5,227 Posts
Well here goes. IF this is your first Glock and/or you have not had much experience shooting especially Glocks I would recommend the following in this order:
(1) Practice, Practice, Practice
(2) If you don't reload try a few different brands and weights of ammo to find which one you shoot the best
(3) READ the rules especially the section on allowed and not allowed mods for Stock Categories at www.gssfonline.com
(4) Be sure any mods you do are Glock produced parts
(5) Decide on a set of sights you can shoot the best with(I prefer the Heinie 320 combo from Brownells.

DO NOT be tempted to do a bunch of mods that sounds cool and I would not do any till I fired at least 1000 rounds.

There you have my suggestions. Some may agree and some may disagree but that is based on my experience after shooting GSSF for the past 10 years.

Don

·
20,419 Posts
The best thing you can do is install a set of quality sights. They do not have to be adjustable. Check out your choices at www.ameriglo.com

A factory "-" connector is permitted, as is a smooth G17 trigger and trigger bar assembly. Grip tape is a nice add-on. see www.tac-grip.com/GripsGlocks.php

Have at least 4 magazines. 10 are ideal.

My G19 is set up as follows: Ameriglo fiber optic front sight and Ameriglo Lumanova rear sight, "-" factory connector, G17 trigger, Decal Grip Sandpaper finish, 11 hi cap magazines, stock springs. I use 147-gr reloads, but you can buy 147-gr GSSF match ammo from Atlanta Arms.

·
Registered
868 Posts
If you want both a "-" connector AND crispness in your trigger, you might want to replace your trigger spring with the NY1 spring. It will give your a short, crisp, discernable reset, and the triggerpull will be approximately 6 lbs.

A smooth G17 trigger is nice, but not essential. Also nice (but not in the least essential for GSSF) is the Glock extended slide stop/release.

Having 4 (preferable "normal capacity") magazines is ideal. That will enable you to shoot all strings of fire for one division without having to reload. If you're shooting multiple divisions, more magazines are helpful-or you can simply take a break and reload between each divisional entry. You really have plenty of time to reload at GSSF, and RO's are very cooperative. If you only have 10 round magazines, having 5 magazines is ideal-use one as a stripper magazine, used to load your gun to capacity (1 in the chamber, 10 in the magazine) for each string of fire as needed.

Although you can do well with the factory sights, your distance shooting will be improved/made easier with different sights-particularly sights with a thinner front sight blade. Trijicon night sights will work nicely if you want nights sights as well-they have a thinner front sight blade, and are available from Glock Parts Department (and many others). I also like the Warren sights; I have a set of Warren Tacticals on my G34.

Affirm (or adjust) your sight zero. Glocks normally come from the factory with point of aim (POA) corresponding to point of impact (POI) at 25 yards; generally, if your aim for the center of the target, your bullets will strike at the center of the target where you aimed-at least, that's how the guns are set up. Smyrna really does an excellent job of this prior to the guns being released to the market stream.

Adjust/replace sights as necessary for YOUR desired POA/POI with YOUR specific ammunition (generally, if you're using 115gr factory ammunition, nothing is necessary). However, if you're using 124gr (probably not, but possibly), or 147gr, you may need to adjust accordingly.

Above any and all hardware modifications-PRACTICE! (Particularly your distance shots). Excellent tips are to be found in Robin Taylor's "The Glock In Competition."

Best, Jon

·
Registered
13,561 Posts
if it were me i'd change out the sights (fixed heinie rear and ameriglo .090x.225 front) and add skate tape.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The best thing you could do is get trigger time in, and practice proper sight picture and dry firing technique in the comfort of your own home(with a safe empty firearm of course). This will break in your trigger. Feel the trigger reset (this will also increase your accuracy). Know your Glock. Also, if you use thin paper and a crayon, you can make perfect templates for your grips( just by laying the paper over the grip and rubbing with crayon). Go to home depot and get grip tape and make your own custom grips. GSSF is about accuracy. If you throw 1 D on a stage, that is 10 seconds added on to your time. If you took 2 seconds to place an A or B hit, you would be 8 seconds ahead. Accuracy is number one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the great info, I think I will change my sights and connector/spring.
I am shooting in a GSSF match in Indy next month so I am not going to change anything until after that. This will be my first GSSF match and I plan to shoot my G19 and G27. My focus is practice and consistency and I hope to do OK.
Thanks again any tips or advice is appreciated.

Bruce

·
Crusty Member
10,824 Posts
Agrip, practice, and maybe a 3.5# connector if you want a lighter pull.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,190 Posts
The best thing you could do is get trigger time in, and practice proper sight picture and dry firing technique in the comfort of your own home(with a safe empty firearm of course). This will break in your trigger. Feel the trigger reset (this will also increase your accuracy). Know your Glock. Also, if you use thin paper and a crayon, you can make perfect templates for your grips( just by laying the paper over the grip and rubbing with crayon). Go to home depot and get grip tape and make your own custom grips. GSSF is about accuracy. If you throw 1 D on a stage, that is 10 seconds added on to your time. If you took 2 seconds to place an A or B hit, you would be 8 seconds ahead. Accuracy is number one.
A c hit is 1 second a D it is 3 seconds and a Miss is 10 seconds.

·
Registered
194 Posts
woops.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
if it were me i'd change out the sights (fixed heinie rear and ameriglo .090x.225 front) and add skate tape.

ede - Why not 0.215" high? That matches Heinie's usual front better (0.216" high).

I have used 0.215" (Heinie earlier & Ameriglo 0.090" now) for years with the Heinie 320 rear & 315 rear... the point of aim is right for me. (That is for 9mm & .40 - - - the .45 needs 0.180" or so in front, even though Richard Heinie says all Glocks use the same heights.)

·
Registered
13,561 Posts
.225 is what works (g22 and g27) for me, i do use a .215 solid ameriglo on my G30 with a fixed heinie rear. on all my guns except the g30 the .225 hits point of aim. like anything else your results may very and you may find the .215 is perfect for you. off the top of my head i think the dawson FO front for the heinie rear is also .225 tall.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
.225 is what works (g22 and g27) for me, i do use a .215 solid ameriglo on my G30 with a fixed heinie rear. on all my guns except the g30 the .225 hits point of aim. like anything else your results may very and you may find the .215 is perfect for you. off the top of my head i think the dawson FO front for the heinie rear is also .225 tall.
Thanks. Just wondering.

Method of aiming matters, as well as type of ammo, of course. I have heard many shooters over the years say they have to get Heinie's optional .250" high to hit their point of aim with 9mm or .40.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts