Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your vote for a fun to drive car over 30mpg and under $30 grand?

I thought BRZ but I like the practicality of the Focus ST.

I love the car debates here so I thought I'd start one. :whistling:

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
Vw gti.

I typed that in all caps, and it won't post that way. Weird.

·
AAAMAD
32,683 Posts
I love my VW TDI Golf with the manual.

With two sets of tires, rims, and life time oil changes + 5 year warranty, I was out the door below 30K.

Very fun, and probably the best highway mileage car you can get right now. She's a hoot.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Just bought a 2014 Honda Accord Sport for $23,000. Plenty of power for a 4 cyl, lots of room, very sporty, upper 30's for gas mileage. Very happy customer.

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
If you can find a base model with no options, a new MB CLA250 starts just under $30k.

·
Banned
5,038 Posts
my 2010 camaro ss , lol , ok it dont get 30 mpg but gets about 28 highyway in 6 th gear . close nuff for me :supergrin: 426 hp adding whipple charger in a few months .

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GTI was my dream car in high school. I've also considered a sportwagen w the TDI, but MN winters worry me w a diesel.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my 2010 camaro ss , lol , ok it dont get 30 mpg but gets about 28 highyway in 6 th gear . close nuff for me :supergrin: 426 hp adding whipple charger in a few months .
That's impressive. Is it hard to drive easy enough to get that?

·
Banned
5,038 Posts
That's impressive. Is it hard to drive easy enough to get that?
depends , i get that consistent on 4 lanes and like driving from town to other towns like 25 to 50 miles away . dont speed and dont rev up between shifts to high . and get to 6th fairly quick .

around town stop to stop to stop about 19 id say , wife always gets better then me:dunno::dunno:

its got good gear ratio . i was shocked it would get good mileage .

hell some of the new corvettes get over 30 highway

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Mazda 3 sport... fast and drives like a sports car

·
Registered
16,611 Posts
Jack Baruth on thetruthaboutcars loved the base model Mazda CX-5 with manual. If you want some cargo area, looks like a bargain. 35 highway.

But I'd be all about a GTI, or even better a CPO Audi A4 w/ 20k or less on the odo, if you aren't dead-set on brand new.

·
Registered
21,064 Posts
Cant wait to get my new Elio. Although I am not making any commitments until I actually get to sit in one.

/

·
AAAMAD
32,683 Posts
That would surprise me. But either way diesels don't start as easy as gas.

Perhaps some of the older rigs.

Modern diesels will crank right up even at 30 and 40 below. We do it every year.

If it gets really cold, and stays that cold for quite a while, sometimes we add an additive to keep the fuel from gelling, but thats really about the extent of cold weather problems in AK. Aside from your tires freezing flat on the bottom if you stay parked too long. Temp, is a non issue, unless you're likely to see extreme cold (more than 30 below), for extended times.

·
Registered
9,055 Posts
Honda Fit. I'm a big guy and they built this car from the inside out to fit us. Also seats three in the back seat with a small cargo area in the rear. Lay the back seats down and you have a ton of room. Never less than 25mpg around town and always 40mpg on the flat highway. No other economical car of any make let me get in and out so easily nor sit so comfortably. And it was under $14K.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts