close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

best front night sight w/standard rears

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by pm666, Jan 9, 2010.

1. pm666

pm666

I really like the standard Glock sights, therefore, I want to keep the standard U-box rear sight (non-tritium) and install a front night sight only (tritium). The XS Big Dot is too big using the standard u-box rear sight.
    For me, the bigger (diameter) the glowing dot the better. What would be my best option for the front night sight?

Thanks,
    Paul

2. NCHornet

NCHornet

The best NS I have found are the TFO's by TruGlo, you get the best of both worlds, during the day you would swear there were bulbs in the sights, and at night nothing is brighter. Not sure if you can buy just the front though. I think Trij and Mep will sell just the fronts.

3. sw1911

sw1911

4. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Ameriglo has a vast selection of Glock front sights
    Diff heights/widths/and even a multi colored fronts

5. pm666

pm666

Thanks for the link and coupon code. Is it true that if I buy a factory Glock night sight that it has to be "staked" in (can't use the existing bolt/nut) using a special tool?

Thanks,
    paul

6. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

I think all the newer Glock sights have screws

7. sw1911

sw1911

not sure about the factory night sights. The ameriglo uses the nut and fyi, the tool is included with the front night sight.

8. SiGlockBoy

SiGlockBoy

Glock night sights are great. Very bright and solid with new screw style.

Also like the meprolight orange rear and green front make a wonderful contrast.

9. pm666

pm666

FYI...I ordered a Glock night sight through GlockParts.com. I verified that it screws on and that it says "Glock" on it. I think this will work out just fine. Thanks again for the info/recommendations.

10. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Once you get it installed, let us know whether it worked out for you.

I'm considering fixing one up in a similar manner.

11. pm666

pm666

Will do...should be towards the end of this week.

12. pm666

pm666

Sorry for the delay. It did not go as planned. I ordered Loctite #222 from Brownell's which is supposed to be the product for metal to metal and especially made for small nuts/bolts and fine threads. It was $18.00 for a little bottle. When I rec'd it, I noticed it had a "USE BY" date of 02/2010 which is 10 days from now. I'm sending it back. I will pickup some Loctite Blue tomorrow and use that.

13. pm666

pm666

Is anyone interested in how the install went? If not, I'll just make a new post.

14. bigbro911

bigbro911

I am very interested in how your project turned out...

15. bambikilr

bambikilr

i would like to know as well...thanks

16. ricklee4570

ricklee4570

Give us an update on how you like it.

17. pm666

pm666

It took awhile for me to get everything I needed. All of sudden everyone was out of stock on the Glock night sight and then the issue with Loctite #222 (see previous post). I wound up ordering the Glock Front Sight Tool - the tool is awesome! It has a "post" in the middle of the nut driver which stops the nut/screw head from going too deep into the nut driver and the post is magentized so it holds the screw/nut very firmly...this really helps when you install the screw/nut into/through the slide and into the front sight. Also, since it holds the nut/screw, it is easy to put a little Loctite on it. I thought the screw/nut was hard to turn into the sight (after about halfway). I know I didn't cross-thread or anything like that. Basically, the install was easy after getting everything I needed.
    The reason for this set-up is two-fold; I know it's weird, but I do seem to like the rear sight picture (|_|) and I don't have anyone to sight the gun in for me (so I didn't want to even move the rear sight). I am not a good enough shooter at this point and I don't know how many yards it needs to be sighted in at, etc.
    As for the sight itself, does it ever glow bright enough or is it ever big enough!!
    I haven't actually shot my 21SF with my new set-up, but I don't think it would make too much of a difference. I'm not exactly sure that just having a front night sight is good enough - maybe you do need rears to know where the front sight is in relation to the rears - I'm just not sure, yet. In normal light conditions, I prefer non-tritium sights. I guess if you really wanted to do it right, one would get the XS Big Dot Night Sights front and rear. In lieu of this, I'm liking my set-up more and more (it just takes a little getting used to and I'm still in that process). I've had Trijicon night sights (front and rear) on a Sig I used to own and they were fine, but I wasn't thrilled with them (too small). If nearly everyone said it wasn't necessary to have night sights, I'd be happy with the standard (non-tritium) sights. I'm pretty sure that if I ever need to use the Glock, it will be in a low-light situation...so it does seem like I should have them (or at least one!).

I'll update this post after I get a chance to actually shoot it. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Hope this helps someone.

18. bambikilr

bambikilr

thanks for the update, where did you get the frontsite tool from, and i take it the new site is green? look forward to see how you like it after shooting

19. pm666

pm666

Actually, I was talking with one guy that didn't like the rear site of the XS big dot - I guess he's been used to the notch for the rear for so long that he wasn't comfortable with the XS. So, that makes me think that maybe this is one of the better ways to go. I was supposed to shoot this weekend, but it fell through.
    I got the Glock Factory Front Night Sight and yes it is green. The only place I could find the Glock Front Sight Tool was at Glock Parts.com. Here's the link
    http://glockparts.com/?mainURL=/store/category/ci1h/Tools.html
    It's about the 7th one down on the list.

20. pm666

pm666

Sorry for the long delay on this update. It's difficult for me to give this set-up a great recommendation, however, I've had night sights front and rear and they don't do that much for me either. I really miss the standard Glock front sight with the white dot which is great in the daylight, but not so great in low-light. I am going to stick with this set-up for me, but for others I'd recommend that you get night sights both front and rear.