close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best for conceal/carry: Steyr S9 or Glock 26?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by TheNatureBoy, Jun 27, 2004.

1. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy

Here's an issue I'm debating right now. I'm going to add a concealable-type 9mm to my arsenal.

I have the M9 -- which I truly love. This has me leaning heavily towards the S9 for concealment. However, I'm worried that it will be too large and uncomfortable. There are no dealers anywhere near by that has one I can hold and feel. Finally, I'm worried about holster choices being limited.

Thus, I'm also contemplating the Glock 26. I don't think I could go wrong here. Small, reliable, and plenty of holster choices/accessories.

Which way would you lean?

2. hivel9mm

hivel9mm

I would lean more toward the S9. The advantages are: you're already familiar with the way the pistol works, you can use your M-mags as spares instead of buying extra S-mags, and it's considerably cheaper than a G26. Plus, you stated that you already love your M9, so why not stick with the same design?

The downsides I see are: the S9 is larger than the G26 (I'd say it's more comparable to a G23, but thinner) and dealers rarely have the S series. Although the S9 is bigger than the G26, it is still very concealable. I went from carrying my M40 to buying and carrying my S9 partly for the added concealability.

Have you tried using your M9 for your CCW? If it works, then maybe you can just use that and save yourself some money that can go toward the 14 rnd mags if the ban sunsets.

3. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy

I haven't tried the M9 yet as a concealed weapon. Quite frankly, it's just too large for me. I don't think I could ever be comfortable carrying it inside my waistband.

I do appreciate your other points. They give me something else to think about.

Anybody else have the same or different thoughts on this decision?

4. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy

I have a few more questions about carrying the S9 if you don't mind.

Does the S9 have the key lock like the M9? I would assume so, but I want to make sure before purchasing. This is a great feature if you have kids and sometimes need to secure the pistol.

Who makes kydex holsters for the S9? I know that Bladetech has molds for the M9 and M40, but I'm not aware of anyone making kydex for the S9.

Responses to these two questions will go a long way in swaying my decision toward the S9.

Thanks!

5. matt7184

matt7184 Millennium Member

I think it was Fobus that has an S9 holster that also is their Sig 229 holster but it fits for both.

You are familiar with the Steyrs already, plus you will have magazines that work in both. It is slightly bigger, but it isnt by much I believe (someone posted the dimensions here, try a search). Also, with our help, more accessories will be made for the Steyr and the MA1 coming out.

6. mrapathy2000

mrapathy2000

7. hivel9mm

hivel9mm

As mentioned above, the S9 does have that key lock. I have a kydex CTAC that was made for my M40 that I now use for the S9.

8. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy

Are you talking about the CTAC from www.comp-tac.com? I specify corresponded with them (via email), and they said they didn't have a holster for the Steyr?

If you tell me otherwise, I'm going to give them a call.

How well does the S9 fit in the M40 holster? Nice and snug? Is the the regular CTAC or the CTAC slide?

9. hivel9mm

hivel9mm

I had read about them making the CTAC for Steyrs so I called them up when I ordered my M40 last October. They said that they'd make it, but it would cost an extra $15-20. The person who'd make it called me back directly to say that it could be done, but that the kydex had to be stretched a little more than for other guns and that the holster would look a little different. After comparing it to the CTAC on their website, I cannot see any real difference. It seemed to fit my new S9 a little more snugly. Not by much, but enough so that I had to loosen the tension screws by about a quarter turn each. I have the regular CTAC. The only difference with having my S9 in it vs. my M40 is that there's about 1/2" of empty space at the muzzle end of the holster.

10. hivel9mm

hivel9mm

Here's a picture of the CTAC with my S9.

11. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy

hivel9mm,

Thanks for the info and the picture. I'll give them a call today and let everyone know what I found out.

Also, I see that Fist (fist-inc.com) makes kydex holsters for 'Steyr 9/40'. I'll call them also and see if these are for the S9.

12. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy

I was told by Jerry at CDNN that the magazines for the S9 are different than those of the M9.

Can someone clarify? I am assuming that the M9 mags will fit the S9, but not vice versa???

13. Zundfolge

Zundfolge Steyr S40 IWB

I'm not sure about the M9, but I have both an M40 and an S40 and frankly the M40 magazines are S40 magazines with a longer floor plate (I imagine the full capacity mags are different). I assumed that the M9 10 round magazines are just S9 mags with longer floor plates.

I can use the M40 mags in the S40, but the S mags are too short to fit in the M

As for the S9 vs the G26, the grip on the S9 is slimmer and more contoured so it does help make up for the fact that its slightly longer then the G26.

But honestly, if the size difference between the S9 and G26 bothers you then you should probably look at a Kahr.

14. flyandscuba

flyandscuba

I vote for the HK P7....;f

15. SturmRuger

SturmRuger

Everyone here knows I am a huge Steyr fan so it pains me to say this. For CCW I think the 26 would be easier to carry. My main carry gun is my S40 so I have not even listened to my own advice. If I bought a new auto for carry I would buy a Sub XD. I sure love those XDs.

16. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy

Well, the decision has been made. And the winner is ..... Steyr S9.

I should have mentioned earlier that this was a decision that included my wife, as she will also carry this new pistol.

We went to the range today and she shot my M9 and a friend's Glock 26. She absolutely fell in love with the M9. She just felt more comfortable with the Steyr (the grip, the safety, the trapezoid sights, low recoil...) and the decison was done.

I tried to talk her into ordering two -- one for me -- but that didn't fly too well. My guess is after she gets used to the S9, she'll say 'yes'. It's all about the presentation.

I guess we're becoming a Steyr family.

17. slumpmaster

slumpmaster Amateur

Who makes kydex holsters for the S9? I know that Bladetech has molds for the M9 and M40, but I'm not aware of anyone making kydex for the S9.

I contacted comp-tac a few weeks ago, since I am trying decide between a G27 and an S40. They responded by email the next day that if you tell them what you have, they can make a holster for it. They have several kydex IWB models on their website. www.comp-tac.com.

Hope this helps.

18. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy

slumpmaster,

I've since posted elsewhere that Fist Holsters makes kydex holsters for the S9. I've ordered an IWB and OWB -- I'll let you know how they perform once I get them.

By the way, I also have a Blade-Tech paddle holster for my M9. My S9 fits well in that holster, except it doesn't extend all the way down. I'm impressed with the Blade-Tech holster so far. It's high quality.

By the way, I also contacted comp-tac and they told me 'no way' to any Steyr pistol.

19. Mortech

Mortech

Hmm M9 not concealable ? I think it is , even in a warm climate . I find my M357 to be quite concealable , using an Uncle Mikes belt slide holster it tucks up against me and is quite invisble under a loose baggy tshirt

20. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy

Maybe it's my body type, or the holster I'm using, but I can't get the M9 to conceal without an obvious print. I have both a IWB and OWB Fist holster on order for my S9. Once I decide which of those works best for me, I'm going to make a go at concealing the M9 again.