Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Incompetent
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having a bad time with fleas right now. 1 indoor kitten and 2 in/outdoor cats. Bombing the house is not really an option; besides we tried that 4 times last year with very minimal results. Collars don't seem to help much either.

We were using Advantage up until 2(+?) years ago, when the fleas seemed to stop responding to it. It's possible that the budget mail-order product we were using was in fact weak or expired.

So which have you found to be the best on-pet treatment for fleas,
Advantage II, Advantix, Frontline or is there something I havent yet heard of? :headscratch:

I know I've read some recommendations here before, but "search" hasn't turned up much, and IIRC some of these products can be very dangerous to pets.

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
capstar is a pill that works for a few days, pricey.

of course it is always an adventure to give a cat a pill.

not many option to get rid of them without some bad stuff for the cats.

what about having carpets professionally cleaned?

Maybe over-bomb the house and get their annual check ups same day?

wish i had a better idea

·
Socially Inept
5,455 Posts
We've never had much luck with the pour on products. Never tried the Capstar since it only lasts 24 hours, but it starts killing in 30 minutes.

Comfortis in oral pill form is what we use for our dogs, there were warnings and precautions when it came out a couple years ago, we've not experienced any side effects or problems whatsoever. Our vet started handling it after we inquired about it, he says he hasn't had any problems related to it, either. They also have it for cats. Give it with a very small portion of food so it doesn't upset the stomach is the only precaution we take.

For house treatment, Zenprox EC with Precor IGR added. When spraying move birds outside, cover aquariums, and don't get in pets food or water.

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Take them to a vet and have them treated for fleas. Next, call a carpet cleaning company and have them come in and clean the carpets with their anti flea stuff. Then bug bomb the house.
That's the only thing that ever worked for my mother.

·
Southern BTGOG
377 Posts
I had a bad flea problem inside my home a couple of weeks ago. Even went so far as to post about here. After almost $100 worth of indoor foggers and carpet powders, finally broke down and called the guy that sprays our business once a month. No bombs, didn't have to move any furniture, and only smelled for about 2 hours. He ended up using just a little over 2 cans (spray paint size) that did my entire house, my outside laundry room and all the way around the perimeter of my house. Twenty four hours later, I vacuumed a couple of times and have not seen a flea since. Can't remember the name of the product but check this post tomorrow and I'll edit to add the name. He said it cost him $28 each and he ended up charging me $75.

·
Registered
32,631 Posts
I believe the flea egg stage is 3 days. Maybe diatomaceous earth?

·
Pistolero
6,150 Posts
Frontline. We are very serious about fleas around here, because they carry the plague.

·
Incompetent
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. Your help is much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Did try the diatomaceous earth last year to no effect. Then I happened upon some non-toxic, all natural product that drove them out of the carpet for awhile. Left the house reeking of basil and sage for weeks. :rofl: Darned if I can find the stuff now.

I just gave the little guy a Dawn bath... he seems happy for now. Will check back later. Thanks again.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Walmart has a product called PetArmor that is a knock off of the expensive flea drops and costs less.

And it works... It takes a few days to start seeing the effects, but this has been the best solution I have found when I get flea outbreaks.

·
Anti-Federalist
22,350 Posts
Something else to consider, while flea collars don't come recommended by most vets for the animal they work great in the vacuum cleaner. You need to vacuum everyday for the next week or so to get any remaining eggs and fleas. I have a bagless cleaner and I just toss the collar in the dirt reservoir.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
We use Trifexis for the dogs. Previously used Frontline, but out vet likes Trifexis and it works fine.

We use Sevin dust around the yard. I have a couple of shaker cans by the garage entry and front and rear porches. After a rain or after I mow the yard I shake some fresh powder around...espescially on my welcome mats. I also use it pretty liberally in my shrubs and hedges and along my fenceline. During flea season and after a rain I will shake it in the yard area where the dogs do their business.

I am also a huge fan of Cedarcide. Great company and great products. I use their mulch and their granules to keep my mulch smelling and working like new cedar mulch. They have an organic spray called Best Yet that is safe to use on animals and people. They are all natural and organic pest control... I mix organic and whatever else I can get... But their products have never dissapointed and they flat out know their stuff. Throw a dot com after their company name and see for yourself.

I have heard that shampooing your pets with regular old original blue Dawn dishwashing detergent kills fleas and ticks on contact. My mom has done it for years. She is a little eccentric, but her pets are flea and tick free and always smell like clean dishes...so maybe it's worth a shot.

Biggest thing is that you have to treat the yard, the house, and then the animals... In that order.

·
Get off my lawn
42,701 Posts
Frontline. We are very serious about fleas around here, because they carry the plague.
Yeah. Like anyone gets THAT anymore. ;)

I consider myself lucky. A decade of animals in my house. My entire developmental years with pets in my folks' house. Never had a flea problem. Ever. Just wow.

·
Registered
16,564 Posts
Ditto on Frontline. Also, shop before you buy. It's expensive stuff. I was about to buy a 4-pack a few months ago from Petland and called our vet first just to see if they would price match. They actually sold us 6 doses (the same 4pk plus 2 bonus) for $15 less than Petland's price for only 4. Counterintuitive that the vet's office would have it cheaper, and maybe that was a temporary fluke, but still worth checking.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts