Best External Hearing Protection?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tuica, Jan 25, 2010.

1. tuica

tuica

Need recommendation on good external hearing protection (ear muffs). I also use ear plugs, but notice that any ear muff (Winchester, Silencio,etc.) only have a DBA reduction factor of 28/29. Is this the upper limit of reasonably priced hearing protectors? Please let me hear your personal experiences. Have recently joined an indoor range - much louder, of course, than shooting outdoors. And do not want to lose my hearing practicing my passion. Thanks in advance.

2. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

I've never tried them but Sordin are supposed to be as good as they get. Wolf and Pro-Ears are also mentioned a lot as beng very good, I have the Pro-Ears Dimension 1 and they are fantastic.

3. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

My favorite muffs are Peltor Bullseye Ultimate 10 and the Howard Leight muffs that are rated 31db.

I like the Ultimate 10 muffs the best because of the way they fit me.

I always wear plugs too. Too many guns and firecrackers back in the '50s and '60s when nobody I knew wore hearing protection.

John

4. woodasptim

woodasptim

I really like my Peltor Tac 7's. Using earplugs under electronic muffs works quite well in-doors.

5. glockster99

glockster99

6. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

Top end for muffs is 33NRR IIRC, I use standard passive muffs with an NRR of 28 for indoor shooting and electronic Howard Leight muffs with an NRR of 23 for outdoor shooting but starting this year I'm going to be working a little bit as a range officer so I will have a set of plugs under the electronics.

7. tuica

tuica

Thanks for the input. Just received Peltor Ultimate 10. Not taken to range yet, but in house tests with various noises look promising.