Best external hard drive

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by hickok45, Mar 6, 2007.

1. hickok45

hickok45 Millennium Member

I know there's not really a "best," necessarily, but I'm topping out as my photos have filled up my 80 gig external drive (Smart drive).

I'm thinking in the area of 250 to 500 gigs. I almost bought a My Book at a good price, but CNET says they are slow. In fact, CNET says that about a lot of the external hard drives, including most of the Western Digitals. I tend to respect Cnet, as they've steered me right in the past.

Can't really use the Firewire option, so I'm just looking for a good buy on a reliable drive.

Any opinions?

2. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

I prefer Seagates whether they are internal or external drives. Unless you go up to the Raptor line of Western Digitals the Seagates are better quality ;)

3. Dandapani

Dandapani

Best INTERNAL hard drive + quality enclosure...

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Bingo..

IGF

5. hickok45

Not sure I get you. Are you saying the best external drive for back up is just buy another INTERNAL hard drive?

This is for backing up lots of pics that really won't all fit on my laptop. I'm up to around 80 gigs of pics now.

I like to keep two ample external drives, one at work and one at home. That way I should never lose my pics if there's a fire, etc.

6. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

They are suggesting you get a quality hard drive enclosure and then buy a quality internal drive to put in it. It will save you some money and you will more than likely have a better quality "external" hard drive ;)

Like this one, the reviewer stuck a 320gb Seagate in

7. hickok45

I see. That's sounds fine to me. So the internal drives are pretty much compatible with about any box I'd buy, as long as it would fit?

Just plug the internal drive in and go,more or less?

Thanks,
    Greg

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C. Guest

There are internal IDE ATA and serial ATA (SATA) drives.I'm not sure you'd save anything by assembling an extrenal instead of just buying an external drive.It's nice in theory but easiest to just buy a good external drive.Seagate is about the best.Stay away from the cheapo drives.

9. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

USB 2 is still slow compared to an internal hard drive.

Which computer do you have and does it use either SATA, EIDE or SCSI internal hard drives?

Choose a larger hard drive and if you are using Windows 2000 or XP or Mac OS and it should be plug and chug, Hook it up and the Motherboard sees and configures your system to use it. Although you may need to run a CD with an initialization software before Windows can use it.

Older versions of Windows like 98, 98SE and ME can have issues with very big drives and older motherboard hard drive controllers.

Maybe using Ghost or some other hard drive cloning software you could move or copy the old smaller hard drive image to the bigger and use the bigger drive as your main (primary) drive.

That should only involve swapping the data connector cables to the drives to make the new drive the primary and the old one the secondary.

Then you could format 80GB drive clean and use it as your permanent swap file. Setting Windows to use the most of the 80gb drive as a permanent swap file will increase system performance.

:thumbsup: :supergrin: ;) :banana:

10. hickok45

dmobrien2001. Hey, thanks for the tip, I didn't even know what you were talking about initially; now I are an expert!

I probably could have saved a little more by ordering online, but I bought a Seagate 300 gig internal drive and an enclosure yesterday at CompUSA.

Put it together this morning, and it's up and running. So cool. The case was thirty bucks, but even with the cost of the case, I still saved $50.00. The same Seagate 300 gig drive at CompUSA is $200.00 for the external and 120 for the internal.

I'm not really worried about saving a few bucks, but I like the idea of being able to change out the drives in this case so easily if I want. Theoretically, once I have a couple of these enclosures in the correct size, I can just buy internal drives in the future as I full them up with pics.

This enclosure indicates that it will house internal drives up to 400 gigs. The next enclosure I buy for home I think I'll go ahead and find one that will handle a drive twice that size.

Now I can relegate my cool little Firelite for its intended purpose, and that is portability.

thanks again.

11. DragonRider

DragonRider

If you are this concerned about photos, multiple drives and systems are a must. I used to be a photographer, and I have heard of horror stories from friends in the biz who didn't backup their data but on one drive. My photos are backup 3 ways, I yearly make backup of photos to DVD, with prior discs getting copied every 2 years, stored in safety deposit box (12 discs). I have 1 external USB Drive that gets backed up every 2 weeks and gets put in the safe at home. I have a server with a RAID 1 for live use. Overkill to some, but considering the time I put in scanning my negatives, graduations, parties and such. Well worth the money. It boils down to what your data is worth and how much you are willing to spend to protect it.

I specifically do not keep a USB drive live on my network for backups incase of virus attack that attacks the system as a whole. I would rather have the reminder in Outlook popup on Sundays to pop the drive on the network and tell the server to backup instead of having an automatic system. That way I also take a look at my systems on a regular basis.

John

12. hickok45

I'm with you, Dragonrider; I'm a backup freak. Back in about 1990 I had a big, expensive 10 meg Apple hard drive crash. Lost almost everything, but learned a lesson I'll never forget.

I use a laptop/tablet, but I back up every week or so to an external hard drive at home, and also one I keep at work. They basically mirror each other. I also occasionally back up my home external drive to my home computer, too.

If I have a fire at home, I lost nothing; it's all in my office at work, and vice versa. I've pretty much quit backing up to disk media, which might be a mistake, but memory keeps getting less and less expensive. The external drives are so much simpler.

13. Dandapani

Dandapani

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for one day.
    If you teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime."

:thumbsup:

ETA: my enclosure has had 3 different drives in it. When I upgrade my desk machine harddrive, I move the old one to my enclosure for migration and backup purposes...