close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best expanding bullet for deer?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Tommy Gun, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Tommy Gun

Tommy Gun CLM

Best expanding bullet for deer?

I have wondered which bullet "expands" best or expends the most amount of its energy on a deer sized animal.

I was talking with several of my fellow hunters and I was told that various types of bullets won't expand even though they are marketed to do so.

Two that come to mind are the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw and the Nosler Balistic Tip bullets that are loaded on Federals Premium Bullets. A guy that works where I do went on a moose hunt and made the claim about the Bear Claw. He said the bullets held together but "they" never expanded. He also said that it took a Nosler Partition to finaly put the moose down....... Another hunter I know says that Nosler Balistic Tips have never open up on any of the deer he has shot. .30 cal. sized holes in all his animals are all he gets. He did explaine that he uses them because they are the most acurate round that his gun will shoot.

Who do I belive? What shold I reasonably expect? I have very little experence of my own on this subject. I know shot placement is the primary factor in a quick clean kill but I will take all the help I can get.... Any thoughts or experiences to contribute? I use a 30.06 so something in 30 cal..

2. vafish

vafish

Deer aren't as big or tough as a moose.

My dad has been hunting deer with a 30-06 for about 60 years now. he uses whatever Walmart has on sale in 150 or 165 gr. They work fine for him.

I don't think the premium bullets are nescessary for deer hunting.

me, I use a .44 mag.

3. SnooseGoose

SnooseGoose DIAF

I have always used remington express core-lokt's. Can't tell you if they expand or not as I have never recoved a bullet, but they have always put down what I want when I want (Deer, black bear, Elk). I have used these in .270, 30.06, and 7mm offerings.

SG.

4. turq

turq

Hornady 165 gr in 30-'06 Save the cases.

5. ralph gonzalez

ralph gonzalez

Federal Premium 165 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw in 30-.06 and the 140 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw in the .270. The Trophy Bonded Bear Claws are 100% fusion bonded and have about 95% weight retention. I have pulled them out on the deers that have not been fully penetrated and they are a perfect mushroom of about double their original size. Expensive but belive me well worth it.

6. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic R4d104c71v3

i wish i was shooting winchester failsafes in .308 this season....the reason? $25-$27 a box...

what i am shooting this season:
    plain old winchester superX .308 150gr. sp

$13-$14 a box...at a 100 yard max shot that my hunting area allows me the plain old winchesters should be just fine.

7. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Exactly correct. A 30-06 with whatever is on sale with drop a deer with a well placed shot. I would opt for a 150-165 grain load of some sort. Moose and elk are a different story, and I would go with premium ammo for them. For deer though, many premium loads will not expand fully before exiting.

8. knuckle dragger

knuckle dragger NSAWC

9. Dadburn

Dadburn Millennium Member

Maybe I'm the exception here but I'll place a vote for the ballistic tips.I shot a doe opening day down east and the entrance wound was .284 as expected with a .270 but the exit wound was a bout the size of a 50 cent piece.The only downside to the ballistic tips is tyhat if the shot isn't well placed they do tend to make jelly out of otherwise good meat.I don't disagree that any bullet will work if the shot is well placed but no matter how good you think you are you still get bad hits occasionally and the ballistic tips do a better job in that area.I personally prefer GA arms ballisic tips as they will shoot circles around Federal or Winchester in my gun.

10. D25

D25 The Quick

Remington Core-Lokts work just fine for me.

11. onemilmhz

onemilmhz Ten Ninety Five

I haven't worked up a load for my 7mm-08 yet so I just use Winchester Super-X 140 gr. Power Points. Very accurate and work well on deer.

12. oneinthepipe

oneinthepipe

i've been handloading for about 15 years now and have found the nosler balistic tips are the best bullet for me to use on deer. i just upgraded my deer rifle this year to a .300 wsm and have been using the factory winchester balistic silvertips. i've yet to harvest a deer with it but have talked to couple of guys who have shot deer with the short mags and say that they are awsome. my friend loads 180 grain nosler balistic tips in his .300 win mag in wich he shot a large buck with last year that left a 3 liter soda bottle sized exit wound on the other side. maybe a little overkill,but the deer went right down in his tracks. no tracking!

13. Old Blue

Old Blue

Remington Core Lokt in 170 grain .30-30

Last season I shot a buck facing directly toward me in the chest from around 75 yards. Said buck fell dead on the spot, and bullet was retrieved in the pelvis area during field dressing. It looked like the ones in the advertisements. Beautiful expansion, near zero fragmentation. I have never shot a deer with a Core Lokt that I had to track.

14. D25

D25 The Quick

Ditto that.