Glock Talk banner

Best duty station you had

8K views 108 replies 49 participants last post by  RedTeam98 
#1 ·
Fort Carson (1st duty station), only one hour away from Denver CO (home)

Kaiserlautern Germany (2nd & final duty station) ETS'd from here and moved to Switzerland (I had a defense contracting job lined up before ETS).

Both were fantastic duty stations but I like Germany/Switzerland allot more.

#2 ·
RAF Sculthorpe. Norfolk county, England.:D

Reactions: Highspeed93
#4 ·
Best duty was Permanent Party, Hdqrtrs Company at Ft. LeonardWood. REMFs had to look WAY over their shoulder to see me. :)

Lived in "inadequate officer quarters". Enlisted personnel could rent them for a song if we just cleaned and painted. Went from a WWII barracks to a two story townhome. Just a few short hours to Table Rock Lake for camping, boating, skiing and great parties. It helped that my in-laws lived in Springfield, MO. and had a cottage on Table Rock. Branson was just a good spot to put in the North Fork of the White River for float trips and camping!

This was all in the early '70s before Branson exploded.

#22 ·
1961-1962.

#9 ·
1st; Huckleberry Creek Mountain Training Camp, Ft Lewis, Wa
Taught winter and summer mountaineering and survival at a small mountain training Camp in the Cascade Mountains of Washington state.

2nd favorite; Ranger Instructor at Desert Phase Ranger School, White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico
Beautiful place to live and work.

#10 ·
1st; Huckleberry Creek Mountain Training Camp, Ft Lewis, Wa
Taught winter and summer mountaineering and survival at a small mountain training Camp in the Cascade Mountains of Washington state.

2nd favorite; Ranger Instructor at Desert Phase Ranger School, White Sands Missile Range, New Mexico
Beautiful place to live and work.
I use to test Patriot systems there before I transferred to Germany. I hate NM so much.

#23 ·
From an enjoyment point of view, the best duty station I had was USSOUTHCOM, Quarry Heights, Republic of Panama.

From self fulfillment point of view, it would be the two years I spent in the Republic of Vietnam.

I also liked Fort Benning, GA. It was like coming home for an Infantryman.

#30 ·
The major American city with the best weather. San Diego, California. Winter clothes. What are those? Subic Bay, RP for the overseas station.

#35 ·
Stationed in SD in 1976. Visited about 10 years ago. Still looks ok. And for a warm-weather guy, that’s still there.

#37 ·
SF use to be the envy of the western world, everybody use to want to go to California regardless if they were born in NY, Ohio, Texas, Vermont or where-ever it is they come from. Even those outside of the U.S. those living in Japan, Germany, the U.K., Sweden, Italy, etc etc everybody wanted to go to San Francisco. Now you could not pay me enough money to visit a city where I have to dodge piles of **** like IEDs in Afghanistan. That is third world living conditions, in many worse worse than such.

#40 ·
Douglas B66 light bomber. 47th Bombardment Wing, RAF Sculthorpe.
Aircraft Vehicle Airplane Aviation Jet aircraft

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.