Glock Talk banner

Best duty station you had

7289 Views 108 Replies 49 Participants Last post by  RedTeam98
Fort Carson (1st duty station), only one hour away from Denver CO (home)

Kaiserlautern Germany (2nd & final duty station) ETS'd from here and moved to Switzerland (I had a defense contracting job lined up before ETS).

Both were fantastic duty stations but I like Germany/Switzerland allot more.
101 - 109 of 109 Posts

· Registered
2,537 Posts
I served in the Army for 24 years and never had a bad assignment. I served in El Paso, San Antonio, at the USMA at West Point, Denver, Heidelberg, Aberdeen Proving Grounds (living on base right on Chedapeake Bay), and my final six years back in San Antonio. Maybe the one year at Camp Eagle, near Phu Bai, South Vietnam could count as the worst assignment. I never got used to the heat, bugs and rats and occasional incoming.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
I probably responded to this old thread before, but in my 24 years in the U.S. Army and multiple assignments both in CONUS and overseas, the overall best assignment was when I spent 4 years at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, assigned to the hospital there (both the old 1879 building and the "new" Keller U.S. Army Hospital). Beautiful area of the country, great facilities on the base, worked with top notch people, and was only 90 minutes from where my parent lived so I had the chance to spend some precious time with my Dad before he died.

· Registered
151 Posts
Fort Carson (1st duty station), only one hour away from Denver CO (home)

Kaiserlautern Germany (2nd & final duty station) ETS'd from here and moved to Switzerland (I had a defense contracting job lined up before ETS).

Both were fantastic duty stations but I like Germany/Switzerland allot more.
Carson in 1986
2/7 Cav NBC Recon Team

101 - 109 of 109 Posts