Glock Talk banner

Best duty station you had

7289 Views 108 Replies 49 Participants Last post by  RedTeam98
Fort Carson (1st duty station), only one hour away from Denver CO (home)

Kaiserlautern Germany (2nd & final duty station) ETS'd from here and moved to Switzerland (I had a defense contracting job lined up before ETS).

Both were fantastic duty stations but I like Germany/Switzerland allot more.
81 - 100 of 109 Posts

· Registered
15,395 Posts
I also loved Ft Bragg, NC. No extreme weather, couple hours to either the beach or mountains. But I have a daughter who is an MD in the Navy stationed at Pearl Harbor. Rough assignment!
Winter duty could be miserable at FT. Bragg. I made the mistake of wearing jump boots on guard duty during winter. I only did that once. The old winter gear was not that good. You could get your stuff soaked with cold rain and then it would freeze at night. The winter gear got better later on but but when I was at Bragg it was effing cold at times.

Reactions: rangerjd

· Registered
17,442 Posts
Only permanent duty station, after AIT, I had was Anacostia Naval station, as an Army soldier. So I guess it was my best and my worst.

· Zombie Response Team
10 Mil' for life.
2,941 Posts
My only duty station was Fort Campbell as an Infantryman with 1st BCT, 101st Airborne. The entire experience was dark and toxic as **** with occasional fun and crazy times. 😂

· Zombie Response Team
10 Mil' for life.
2,941 Posts
I did 8 months with B 1/327....meah had a great CO though.
I was with C Co (Cold Steel) 1/327 in 2011-2012 and it was freaking brutal lol. Very toxic place but nobody could say it wasn't ONE of the most combat effective line infantry companies in the entire Army at the time.

· Registered
1,971 Posts
Amarillo TX -- Basic
Sheppard TX -- Tech School
Homestead FL - F-104
Udorn Thailand - F-4D
Craig AL - T-37
Bitburg Gernany - F-4D/E
Pease NH - FB-111A / KC-135A/Q
Plattsburgh NY - FB-111A / KC-135A/Q
Osan Korea - F-4E
Kadena Okinawa - F-15C/D

Now for my favorite -- it's like having 10 children and asking which one I like best. Can't do it. 24 years, 3 months, 5 days, 11 1/2 hours and some few minutes later, same answer.

· Registered
65 Posts
Amarillo TX -- Basic
Sheppard TX -- Tech School
Homestead FL - F-104
Udorn Thailand - F-4D
Craig AL - T-37
Bitburg Gernany - F-4D/E
Pease NH - FB-111A / KC-135A/Q
Plattsburgh NY - FB-111A / KC-135A/Q
Osan Korea - F-4E
Kadena Okinawa - F-15C/D

Now for my favorite -- it's like having 10 children and asking which one I like best. Can't do it. 24 years, 3 months, 5 days, 11 1/2 hours and some few minutes later, same answer.
When were you at Basic in Amarillo. I was there April 68

· Registered
1,971 Posts
When were you at Basic in Amarillo. I was there April 68
Got there Jan 26, 1968 -- since it was hell, can't remember when the "out" date was.

My flight was the only one to NOT get liberty. We were in the old wooden 2-story dorms and, as you know, you don't leave your room without boots or shower clogs. One young fool tried to make it to the urinal across the hall fgrom his room and got caught barefoot. Dorm guard caught him and reported to the T.I.

The punishment was another day of KP -- sux bad.

· Registered
65 Posts
Got there Jan 26, 1968 -- since it was hell, can't remember when the "out" date was.

My flight was the only one to NOT get liberty. We were in the old wooden 2-story dorms and, as you know, you don't leave your room without boots or shower clogs. One young fool tried to make it to the urinal across the hall fgrom his room and got caught barefoot. Dorm guard caught him and reported to the T.I.

The punishment was another day of KP -- sux bad.
No liberty for us either until Shepard AFB. I was in the old wooden buildings too. They were out of uniforms for over a week so we had to wear civics the hold time meaning we took a lot of crap.

· Registered
3,242 Posts
Ft. Knox was the only duty station that I spent any time at - I liked it and liked KY, a lot! I did spend time training at Ft. Leonard Wood, Ft. Lewis and my reserve unit was at Ft. Lawton in Seattle.

81 - 100 of 109 Posts