Glock Talk banner

Best duty station you had

7292 Views 108 Replies 49 Participants Last post by  RedTeam98
Fort Carson (1st duty station), only one hour away from Denver CO (home)

Kaiserlautern Germany (2nd & final duty station) ETS'd from here and moved to Switzerland (I had a defense contracting job lined up before ETS).

Both were fantastic duty stations but I like Germany/Switzerland allot more.
61 - 80 of 109 Posts

· Banned
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Gun laws here in Switzerland in some ways are better than the U.S.
For example. I can buy a semi-auto Chinese AK right now for about 650 francs (almost equal to USD). No restriction on barrel length, I can use standard 30 round magazines. Obviously not all states in America have stupid magazine capacity laws but in Switzerland only shotguns are restricted to 3 rounds in the tube (for hunting purposes).

Swiss law requires all who have served in the military (mandatory conscript service for all able body males) to maintain at least 500 rounds of ammunition, if Switzerland ever need to activate the home guard & active duty units we are ready and prepared. My neighbor got to keep his issued service rifle after he got out of the Swiss armed forces. It is a semi-auto rifle and if his unit was to be activated his unit armorer would swap the lower for a full-auto lower (or burst if that is what they have available as not ever unit uses full auto lowers)

You can (much like CCW in the U.S.) have a conceal carry permit in Switzerland but you have to have a reason (self defense, you feel your life is in danger etc etc) mostly only politicians have that sort of permit however a common civilian obtaining one is not unheard of ( I have one).

When I attend Schützenfest there is alcohol and firearms (for all ages), even some German and Swiss politicians attend the event, no security, no secret service, talking, conversation with the people eating bratwurst at the same table as the citizens. That would never happen in the U.S.

Over half of the Swiss population has firearms at their homes but we have not had a mass shooting since 2001 (Zug).

· Registered
7 Posts
No, 1/509 was reflagged to 4/325 in the early '80s. I was in 3/325 in 2nd Brigade, 82nd Airborne. Then the army decided to experiment with rotating battalions so we swapped; 3/325 went to Italy to be under Southern European Task Force and 4/325 went to Bragg to be under 2/82. So I was in the same battalion for four years but about half of that was at Bragg wearing the 82nd patch and half was in Vicenza wearing the SETAF patch.

A bit convoluted, I know.

· Registered
3,394 Posts
I knew that there had been some moving around of the unit there, but I didn't know who or when. When I was in the 1/10th in Bad Toelz, Germany in the late 70s, it was the 1/509. My team medic's brother was the SGM there then.

· Registered
7 Posts
When I was in the 1/10th in Bad Toelz, Germany in the late 70s.......
I went to the 7th Army NCO Academy at Flint Kaserne in '88. Scenic area, and I've since learned a little about the interesting but little known history of the 10th in Bad Tolz in the '50s. Like wearing the beret long before it was authorized and bad ass old timer SF legends like "Iron Mike" Paulick and Larry Thorne, etc.

· Registered
3,394 Posts
I went to the 7th Army NCO Academy at Flint Kaserne in '88. Scenic area, and I've since learned a little about the interesting but little known history of the 10th in Bad Tolz in the '50s. Like wearing the beret long before it was authorized and bad ass old timer SF legends like "Iron Mike" Paulick and Larry Thorne, etc.
I was there twice: 77-79 and 89 until it was closed (1991?). The unit moved to Boeblingen, near Stuttgart.

· Registered
517 Posts
Fort Bragg, North Carolina

Home of the 82nd Airborne Division

"Airborne All The Way"
All the Way, and Then Some. Been to Bragg many times, but never stationed there. My son is there now. He's an 18D Instructor at the Special Operations Medic Course I was going to try and visit him this summer until this CoVid19 crap hit.

Reactions: mistermills357

· Banned
28,198 Posts
Strassburg Kaserne, Idar-Oberstein, Germany.

It was our own little outpost. One Battalion of Engineers. Even had a min-PX and an NCO club.

· Registered
3,394 Posts
Fort Bragg, North Carolina
Home of the 82nd Airborne Division
"Airborne All The Way"
Was stationed there for six years, plus many more times TDY. To be specific, was assigned to Camp Mackall, which is administratively part of Ft. Bragg.
Loved Mackall, but never cared for Bragg.

Reactions: rangerjd

· Registered
1,781 Posts
Zweibrücken Airbase, West Germany... Feb. 1983 to Feb. 1986. Command Post duty for 3 years and a vacation from SAC and B-52's at Dyess AFB, TX. It was a great place for traveling all over Europe. It was nice back then... only the Red Army to worry about. I did lots of traveling and skiing... and met my second wife in the CP... married over 34 years now! :)

Reactions: rangerjd

· Banned
3,329 Posts
Anyone here ever stationed at Rhein-Majn AFB, Frankfurt, Germany?

· Registered
1,997 Posts
Fort Irwin NTC was probably my best duty station. I was in the NTC Support Battalion and supported OPS-Group (95-95). When I went to the field I was usually assigned to Dragon Team and staid in AC trailers. I probably would not have cared for NTC if I would have been assigned to OPFOR/11ACR. I spent 3 years in Baumholder, Germany (92-94). We spent most of our time in the field so did not get much of a chance to explore much.

· Registered
2,537 Posts
I know I was lucky but I never had a bad assignment in my 24 years serving as an Army officer. I had several tours at Ft. Sam Houston in San Antonio, TX; Wm. Beaumont Army Medical Center. El Paso, Texas; a tour in Heidelberg, German as well as Fitzsimons Army Medical Center, Aurora, CO; Aberdeen Proving Grounds in MD; and a year in Vietnam. But my favorite assignment was the four years I spent at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, NY. A beautiful place, right on the Hudson River, just over an hour north of New York City. My family was able to enjoy all of the great places to visit in New York City, without any of the downsides like high rent, high taxes, crime, etc. One of the really neat things about being at West Point was having a ski slope right on the base. I was able to ski at lunchtime during the winter then go back to work for the rest of the afternoon. I came to West Point as a Captain, left as a Major. My fourth child was born there. I just regret that I was never able to convince any of my five children, now all grown, to apply for admission to the Military Academy.

61 - 80 of 109 Posts