Glock Talk banner

Best Dog ... Post-Apocalypse?

6997 Views 85 Replies 54 Participants Last post by  sourdough44
Call it your "survival dog," ... "prepper pooch," ... "retreat hound," ... or whatever.

:dog:

Haven't seen this topic come up before, ... but what type of dog would make the 'best' survival companion for you (and your family or group) following a catastrophic apocalyptic event? Just so we don't get too ridiculous on the SHTF premise, let's stick to the more realistic ones (no mutant zombies). E.g., weather-related (long-term Katrina-type disaster); epi-plague/pandemic flu; nationwide cyber-"hack" by NoKo which shuts down the entire power grid, etc. Something big, but realistic.

A mixed breed mutt? Pure-bred this or that?

It would seem like the pampered lap-dogs that are food-picky and need to be professionally groomed every week or see a vet once month just won't make it.

A buddy has a dog that's a German Shepard/Pyrenees mix. Great family dog, super-smart. Not real big though, and she's really not a 'hunting' dog. But does that matter?

Or would a large dog be more useful? I once had a Bull-Mastiff. Also a great dog but it got hip dysplacia and eventually died.

Another buddy has an Aussie Shepard which he says is the smartest dog he's ever owned. Maybe intelligence and train-ability would trump size for a useful post-apocalyptic companion?

Opinions and/or recommendations?

Standing Black-and-white Photography Canidae Jacket
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
I would recommend a small terrier type,not a barker. Small needs littlefood,terrier catchs and eats small rodents. A quiet dog,a barker will raise attention and get you killed. Also a dog that only bark and alert to intruders. my choice would be standard rat terrier. It could catch its own food. Search youtube for Rat Terrier hunting.

· Registered
4,430 Posts
Can't say it'd be 'the best', because its food requirements would be big, but I've been lusting for an Ovcharka for a while now. My wife has threatened to leave me if I ever get one, so I figure my only chance will be to wait till she's out of town and get a real cute puppy version.

Reactions: Deltic and agtman

· Super Moderator
Glock 45/19X
10,964 Posts
Charlie Brown knew how to pick the right dog...

· 10mm Philosopher
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

· Registered
45,276 Posts
I believe the dog's purpose would be to alert you to danger. I don't think under that scenario that a dog would help to confront a gun. That is a job for another gun.

However, if you are alerted to any thing trying to sneak up on you, or ambush you, you now have a chance. I think that a mutt would have less physical ailments to worry about also.

· 10mm Philosopher
6,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.