Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

10mm Philosopher
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Call it your "survival dog," ... "prepper pooch," ... "retreat hound," ... or whatever.

:dog:

Haven't seen this topic come up before, ... but what type of dog would make the 'best' survival companion for you (and your family or group) following a catastrophic apocalyptic event? Just so we don't get too ridiculous on the SHTF premise, let's stick to the more realistic ones (no mutant zombies). E.g., weather-related (long-term Katrina-type disaster); epi-plague/pandemic flu; nationwide cyber-"hack" by NoKo which shuts down the entire power grid, etc. Something big, but realistic.

A mixed breed mutt? Pure-bred this or that?

It would seem like the pampered lap-dogs that are food-picky and need to be professionally groomed every week or see a vet once month just won't make it.

A buddy has a dog that's a German Shepard/Pyrenees mix. Great family dog, super-smart. Not real big though, and she's really not a 'hunting' dog. But does that matter?

Or would a large dog be more useful? I once had a Bull-Mastiff. Also a great dog but it got hip dysplacia and eventually died.

Another buddy has an Aussie Shepard which he says is the smartest dog he's ever owned. Maybe intelligence and train-ability would trump size for a useful post-apocalyptic companion?

Opinions and/or recommendations?

Standing Black-and-white Photography Canidae Jacket

Registered
I would recommend a small terrier type,not a barker. Small needs littlefood,terrier catchs and eats small rodents. A quiet dog,a barker will raise attention and get you killed. Also a dog that only bark and alert to intruders. my choice would be standard rat terrier. It could catch its own food. Search youtube for Rat Terrier hunting.

Registered
Can't say it'd be 'the best', because its food requirements would be big, but I've been lusting for an Ovcharka for a while now. My wife has threatened to leave me if I ever get one, so I figure my only chance will be to wait till she's out of town and get a real cute puppy version.

Reactions: Deltic and agtman

Registered
Glock 45/19X
Charlie Brown knew how to pick the right dog...

10mm Philosopher
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Registered
I believe the dog's purpose would be to alert you to danger. I don't think under that scenario that a dog would help to confront a gun. That is a job for another gun.

However, if you are alerted to any thing trying to sneak up on you, or ambush you, you now have a chance. I think that a mutt would have less physical ailments to worry about also.

10mm Philosopher
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.