close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Best Diet For Your Dog

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Bullmastiff1, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Bullmastiff1

Bullmastiff1

I've read several threads about what brands of dog food are the best, and have to get my opinion in on dog diets. For large breeds... for the first year of your pups life, put them on a quality large breed puppy formula that gives them the nutrients they need, while also controlling growth from becoming too rapid. After that leave the dog food on the store shelf. Just a couple questions for you to think about... Do canines in the wild eat kibble??? Processed dog food has only been around for several decades, what did they eat before that??? The best diet for your dog is a raw diet (raw meat with small amounts of raw, but processed, fruits and vegetables). Of course there are a lot more specifics involved in the raw diet, but that's up to you to research. Some of the positives of the raw diet... It's what mother nature intended your dog to eat; That "dog smell" is actually caused by eating dog food, once on a raw diet for a couple of weeks your dog's "dog smell" will go away; Less of a mess to scoop up in your yard (which also shows how much fillers are in dog food that your dog's body won't even process); for large breeds.. I have never heard of a dog on a raw diet dying of "bloat". The only negative things that I hear about raw diets are generally just propaganda put out by the dog food companies, who want your money. The only truthful bad thing about a raw diet... it's not as easy as just scooping out a cup of food and throwing it in your dog's bowl. If you choose to research the raw diet, remember the pet food industry is a multi-billion dollar industry, so be leary of any anti-raw diet propoganda you may find out there.

Here's a link that tells the truth about processed dog food:
    http://www.api4animals.org/facts?p=359&more=1

2. HarlDane

HarlDane

I have been looking into going raw, and plan on doing so after I save up for a decent sized chest freezer. I can get monthly shipments of a large variety of raw foods from So-Cal B.A.R.F. for about what I pay now for premium kibble.

3. Gadgetman

Gadgetman

When we brought our pup home (9 weeks old)I noticed she had dandruff. I called the breeder she said it was because it was winter and the furnace was drying the air out in the house and that she was feeding Rosie Iams. I took her off Iams and put her on Nutro which is also supposed to be a good dog food. There was no change. I tried other brands of food but she had a hard time with them (diarrhea). After she was a year old I slowly changed her food over to Innova. I forgot the exact time frame it was probably about a month before I noticed that the dandruff was all GONE and her fir was extremely SHINY, allot more shiny than it was before I switched her.
    She only eats a cup a day so I wasn't concerned about the price of the food I fed her.
    Innova that's what I will feed any dog I have from now on.

4. FB40

FB40

+2 on Innova

5. hispeedlodrag

hispeedlodrag needs vacation

When fido runs out of stray cats, I guress I will have to research this.

6. ron b

ron b

Every morning my dogs get oatmeal, just like me.

7. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

I don't do raw, but I supplement Iggy's kibble with a stew I make about once a month or whenever there's a sale on cheap roasts. Basically brown rice, brussels sprouts, brocolli and meat. Freeze it in quart ziplock bags.

Innova has a food called EVO that is a raw diet substitute for convenience. Protein is way crazy high.

Iggy was getting Canidae, but he's not putting on the weight he should, so he's back on solid gold wolf cub now.

8. loandr.

loandr.

Its not a walk in the park but worth every moment, Something I put together when they became about 1 yr....one look at my babies and you know you are what you eat :) The BoerBoels just love it....

* The Following are for Large Breed Dogs OVER the age of 1YR....Under 1 requires entirely diff. feeding schedule and receipe period! If help needed for under the age of 1 YR.... PM me and Ill be glad to foward accordingly! Believe it or not the larger breeds must be feed with LESS Protiens at a young age than smaller dogs in order to allow their skeletal structure to develope properly. MOST large breed puppy food actually have LESS protein than the smaller breeds require. basically you want large breed Bones to grow at a slower more complete pace. OK DONE.

Feeding's occur 2X per day (1) at AM (1) at PM :

Breakfeast: (EASY but COMPLETE.. which also helps out in the rushed morings) http://www.cardinalpet.com/petbotanics/meatrolls.htm (pics bel! ow) 4-5 Inches of "Roll" Either in Lamb or Beef Diced up and Mixed with 2 cups HARD DRY NutriMax Large Breed Dog Kibble(Chrunchy good for the teeth) supplimented with 1 pet tab multi-Vit. This is per DOG (approx. weight 150+lbs.). DONE, quick and simple. You can read up on THE ROLL at link provided....it rocks I promise you .

Dinner: (A F--King Nitemare BUT worth it:)
    Following is a 30 day supply for Dinner for 2 DOGS at approx. 150lbs. each, Ill now need to adjust mine upwards accordingly and you can downwards if need for (1). First off you will need a BIG POT (Lobster Pot, Camping Couldren etc.) and 2 burners on the stove should cover it. IMPORTANT dont over cook....better off UNDER cooking....their digestive systems can handle much more than ours AND the Final step of this process will insure all cooked fine.
    Get close w/ your butcher or find deals at sup! er Market i usually pay about 99cents per lb. and up to 1.60 Dep. if I like what I see. (quarter Hog, Picknic Ham, Beef Roast Butt, Ground Turkey....all will do fine. 17-20lbs. worth :) Hey i said itwas a nitemare BUT it works! 2 LARGE Bags of Carrotts, 2 Bushels of Broccoli, 2 packages Brussel Sprouts, 8-10 Large sweet potatos, 2 Bulbs of Garlic and 2 bunches of parsely...Rosemary works as well! ALL along with 4-5 Lbs. BROWN rice.(BUY rice in bulk). Leave skin on all veggies, potato, etc. CHOP all. Fill pot 1/2 way with water and 2-3 cans LOW sodium Chicken broth. ADD Meat and cook about 1/2 Hr. BOIL (It should be VERY rare/bloody etc. still) Bone in if applicable.
    Next (Simmer here on in) add chopped Carrots and Potato first. Cook another 20 minutes (remeber dont overcook you loose nutrients) Next add broccoli and Brussls and cook another 20 minutes. Take meat out whole and Butcher/Debone(remember when butchering pieces this big GRAVITY is your best friend, sharp! blade dosent hurt either:) Then ADD back to pot along w/ parsley/Rosemary. Cook another 20 minutes. Finally Add 4-5 Pounds of Brown Rice and Bring back to boil for approx. 10 min. then Simmer all for approx. 40Minutes. meats will be cooked but red and Veggies firm, liquids will have evaporated and texture will be perfect! LET COOL. BAG (each weighed at 35-40 Onces) THEN freeze. Should yield between 25-30 Dinners worth for 300lbs. of dog (2).
    Each night Defrost in micro(or leave bag out each AM) and add to 2 cups MOISTENED(H2O or Broth) NutriMax large Breed Kibble, along with Glucosomine Condro. powder and a suppliment called "Missing Link" . Mix all and serve http://www.petvetdirect.com/home.as...+(Dog)++1lb
    above is link to missing links ingredients as well. THE MRS. CALLS IT MY LABOR OF LOVE ONCE A MONTH. If you could see the pups overall health(Muscle tone, coats, teeth etc.) you wouldnt doubt for a moment it truly works. There you have it my fellow suspects. THEN BEG THE MRS. TO CLEAN UP! Thanks for your interest.

Mr. and Mrs. Loandr.
    Attached Thumbnails

9. Apocalypse_Now

Apocalypse_Now Molon Labe

Best canine diet is raw meat and suppliments (Including glucosamine and MSM, and basic vitamins and minerals, there are granulated powders such as Dynamite which accomplish the last two items) ground up with some cooked/steamed veggies, oatmeal and such. Exactly what a wild canine would get from the prey, including partially digested stomach contents from herbivores and such. You can get recipes online, the meat is most of it and you don't need huge amounts of veggies and oatmeal, maybe 10 to 20% max

Few have the time for this (you make up a large batch and freeze in small containers/bags) but please hear me out on the following. Your pets are probably subject to way more toxin ingestion than you are.. their paws tread the streets, driveways, yards and carpets which are covered in toxic chemicals. They absorb these toxins easily through their paws and by licking themselves. What happens is the toxins build up in their organs and then in old age they have organ failure, cancer, skin problems, etc (the skin is the last way the body can contain toxins and by that time the pet is in big trouble, overloaded) The immune system fails and this is a major cause of cancer, including in humans. Never use the chemical flea killers or any chemicals on your pets. There are herbal alternatives !

Never use antibiotics! They weaken your/their immune system, kill all the good bacteria in your body, and I believe can even lead to cancer, later on

If you don't have an herbal store near you for Ayurvedic medicines or other detox products, try this site.. they have been very helpful and they will give you free phone advice on herbal medicine. They have a combined 250 years of experience on the staff: http://www.petmedicinechest.com/

I have no affilitaion with them but do purchase their products for our Rottweilers

My gal and I detox ourselves as well. You feel so much better afterwards. If you're feeling cruddy, creaky and especially if you're in your 30s or older, even if you feel fine, you need to detox ASAP. never drink chlorinated water and don;t give it to your pets. Drink lots of fresh spring water, including during the night.

You should detox your pets regularly and feed them nothing but a totally natural diet.. no colorants, no preservatives, etc.. if you have to go with dry kibble then buy Nutro Natural Choice or a similar non toxic dog food. Most all main line dog foods are loaded with colorants, preservatives, etc.. add a granulated vitamin/mineral mix and if you can crush up some glucosamine and MSM daily in their food. Most dogs can eat small amounts of restaurant left overs as well, in with their food, as long as it's not too spicy or unless they have sensitive tummies

If you want to do just one other thing for your pal, (to go with the kibble) get organic beef (or regular beef if that's all you can find or afford. We buy the large cut up steak-chunk packs that are intended for stews) and bag them up in small ziplocks and store in the freezer. We put about three day's worth in each bag and thaw one out every time the last one's used up. Even a quarter cup of raw meat is very helpful for most canines. You should start out gradually and see if your canine can handle raw meat. If not then lightly cook it, medium rare. Bloody meat is best for most dogs, it's what they would eat in the wild

10. Apocalypse_Now

Apocalypse_Now Molon Labe

I did not read the thread before I posted but Loander made a great post and his spoiled pooches are eating large! BTW landro.. your link no workie!

As to cats our new rescued Rottie girl was found running on a rural road and ended up in the pound. She's very affectionate with humans but goes ballistic and stiff as a board when she sees cats..she looks like a pro pointer dog, she even sometimes lifts one paw like a pointer!
    I suspect she may have been partaking of the other white meat during her short time on her own. She has amazing agility and speed for a Rottie, She is incredibly healthy for being a "stray" and we will soon switch her over to the home cooked food similar to loander's recipe. Don't have the right size freezer now

Do the detox thing too, friends!

11. loandr.

loandr.

Funny was reading your post thinking HUH ...this guy know what hes talking about! :) Lucky pups on your end as well. The beorBoels eat well here. and Scowan I was looking at igges pic again and his looking lean and mean (In a good way :)no worries sir. is he lacking endurance, strength etc. In your opinion. I dont think its necessary in your case BUT with my MUCH older dogs towards the end, nutrical did wonders for putting a bit of weight on. just remember as he gets older he will get heavier and the knees and hips will bear the load :) What a beaut. of a PUP SIR. u LUCKY DOG.

rUSS

12. VWTim

VWTim

My now ex gf's Yorkie was on a raw diet for a long time. She has really bad skin problems and that seemed to cure it. She was feeding the Better in the Raw supplement with lean ground beef. And some chick thighs and marrow bones thrown in for measure.

Now that she's not living here and I'm taking care of the Yorkie and my Min Pin, I'm feeding them both Inova Evo, they both like it and Turbo's (Yorkie) skin seems to be doing good.