Best Defensive Ammo for the G43?

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by smilata, Dec 9, 2016.

1. smilata

smilata

I recently purchased a brand new Austrian G43 (9mm) I am not used to shooting these short barreled (3.3") guns. My understanding is that each individual gun type performs best with a certain type of ammo. I'm not talking about expansion or penetration, but about accuracy. I mean it really won't matter about penetration if you miss! I noticed through even my small sampling of different ammo manufacturers, some are more accurate than others. I'm not talking about target loads either. I Truly Need to know about which self defense carry ammo is the most accurate. If you can help me at all with any info or recommendations or even Luck you've had with a particular ammo, I would really appreciate your input!

2. Jim

Jim

At self defense ranges, almost anything that cycles the gun will be adequately accurate. Most gun/ammo combinations will shoot a 4" group or less at 15 yds if the shooter is good enough; that would even allow a head shot at that range.

A bigger issue is getting a JHP round that will reliably expand from the lower velocity of your short barrel, feed 100% in your gun, and be cheap enough you can fire a couple of hundred for testing and sighting-in. Standard pressure/velocity (not +P or +P+) would be nice for comfort and control.

smilata, MSW and Jamie Haley like this.

3. WVSurveyor

WVSurveyor

Any good quality American made self defense ammo will do fine in your 43. In a tense, high adrenaline situation, your shooting ability, talent and cool head will determine accuracy attained, not whether a bullet will shoot 1" groups, 2" groups or 3"' groups under controlled conditions. I use Federal HST, but Speer Gold Dots are good, Cor-bon, Hornady, etc.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    smilata likes this.
  4. barth

barth

I've found that heavy for caliber seems to group best in my guns.
    I'm running 147 gr Federal HST standard pressure in my various 9mms.
    My micro Ruger LC9s Pro loves that stuff :supergrin:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    tic-tok-GLOCK, smilata and pspez like this.
  5. unit1069

unit1069

I have some Fiocchi 115-grain Extrema JHP that is scary accurate, but I cannot locate any additional rounds of this ammo that carries the CIP logo on the box. I would love to see a credible gel test of this ammo someday. (hint, hint)

All the other premium 9mm JHP self-defense ammos I have are similar in accuracy as far as I can tell.

smilata likes this.
  6. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Another fan of 147 HST standard pressure. In the shorter barrels, I feel the lighter +P rounds loose any advantage they may have.

Billd33950, smilata and dudel like this.
  7. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

well, if you are proficient with your gun, the best ammo is that which is the most reliable and accurate.

smilata and porschedog like this.
  8. Kentguy

Kentguy

I have tested quite a few and in my pistol (G26), shooting from my hand, this gets the nod in that category.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...124-grain-xtp-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-25

The only way to truly tests the accuracy of any ammunition is at a range in a gun rest or gun vise. Standing shooting free hand only tells you how good YOU are not the ammo. My advice is to take the recommendations made here, go to your local range, stick your G43 in a gun rest and do your own testing. As you stated..."I mean it really won't matter about penetration if you miss!" Than whatever you choose, you must practice/train with it.

There is no such thing as "The magic bullet" and no substitute for proper training.

smilata likes this.
  9. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Anytime they are available in 50 round boxes, I prefer Federal 124gr HST. Second on my list is Speer Gold Dots in 124gr. If I don't have either of those, I use my own loads of 124gr Gold Dots.

I frankly can't tell any material difference in accuracy among those above. They all cycle well in my G43.

10. unit1069

unit1069

I neglected to mention that the Fiocchi ammo mentioned in my previous post features the XTP bullet.

11. ucfgrad93

ucfgrad93

I use 124 grain HST rounds for my self defense ammo.

12. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

I used to run Ranger RA9TA, but switched to the Cor-Bon +P 115 grain DPX.

13. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

HST works superbly in shorter barrels (longer barrels too of course). The 124 is plenty hot, no real need for +P, but it's always good to get 124, 124+P, and 147 and decide for yourself what shoots best.

APERS likes this.
  14. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

In my G17 I get 1400 FPS with my CorBon 115gr JHP +p rounds. You should get around 1250 FPS out of your G43 with this load.

15. Overkill338

Overkill338 9x19 + 1x6 = 200 @ 1250

Go here and look at the 9mm results. These were tested in short barreled Pistols.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/

But in 9x19,for me it's always been the Speer 124gr +P Gold Dot. The HST's are good too. The 147 standard pressure version is ideal. No need for +p in that small pistola.

I'd seriously recommend the 147 HST or 150 Micro HST.

147= 15.2" penetration and 0.61" expansion
    150= 17.3" penetration and 0.71" expansion and this was from a 3.5" barrel with a velocity of only 888. Way less recoil than the light +P loads such as the CorBon or even my own fave the 124 Gold Dot.

Look at those sexy 150 HST's in the picture I uploaded. Hard to argue with that.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    Mark2Glock, smilata and Jamie Haley like this.
  16. Groo01

Groo01

Groo here
    First and foremost the ammo MUST feed and fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    At defense distances , as long as you can put the shots into an 8in paper plate your fine,
    but the ammo MUST feed and fire.
    The gun tells you what it likes, not the other way around.............
    Find and carry what the gun likes, even if it is FMJ.
    A handgun that does not function , is a poor club.

smilata and tic-tok-GLOCK like this.
  17. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

I personally like the Hornady Critical Defense in my G43, and have also used some Remington Golden Saber (+P). Both have fed and fired 100% for me.

18. Iceman cHucK

Iceman cHucK

HST 124+P and Gold Dot 124+P for my G43

MAG40 Student likes this.
  19. Overkill338

Overkill338 9x19 + 1x6 = 200 @ 1250

Cool username, I'm a huge Chuck Liddell fan.

20. drjustice

drjustice Super Senior

I used the Ranger 127gr +p+ LE ammo in shorter barrel weapons. Its hard to find, but that Talon or sxt profile works very well and the powder does not flash as much as other +p rounds I found. You are gonna loose some velocity on short barrels. Some manufacturers use slower burning powder and you will get a flash signature as not all of it burns out before the bullet leaves the barrel. In my opinion, that is one of the major causes of inconsistent accuracy reports. Test what works best with your firearm and stick with proven and reputable sources such as Federal, Winchester, Corbon, Hornady. My 2 cents.

smilata likes this.