Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - just picked up a nice G30s. I have a bunch of Winchester 185 gr Silvertip, which I used for my 1911. Given the fact that un-jacketed lead is not recommended, what is your favorite .45 ACP ammo for a Glock?

Thanks!

·
The eBay Guy
21,560 Posts
I run 230 gr +p HST's in my 45.

Reactions: John Polosky

·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why not the ammo you already have?
Winchester Silvertip is (I believe) all lead. At least no visible jacket. Glock says lead is a no-no. Am I incorrect?

·
Decap Pin Killa
18,083 Posts
I only lose 25 fps or so in my G30 vs a 5" 1911. Still like the 230 HST or 230 XTP's, but I wouldn't feel bad about ball ammo to be honest.

:dunno:

Also... Silvertips are jacketed. Not sure what it is (nickel?), but it isn't straight lead alloy.

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
I would pick up some 230gr HSTs and run some through. Yep silvertips are a lead core, jacketed, non bonded bullet.

Never really was too impressed with 185gr .45acp but opinions will vary.

·
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the corrections on the Silvertips!

·
woo woo
31,240 Posts
The G30 retains good enough velocity that I'd use whatever I use in a service gun. The polygonal rifling helps with velocity.

·
In The Saddle
8,936 Posts
The G30 retains good enough velocity that I'd use whatever I use in a service gun. The polygonal rifling helps with velocity.
I agree here...
But for the "list."

I use 230gr Ranger T
230grWW PDX1
230r XTP's

There is "plenty enough " horse power here in the your G30, My g30/G36, to dispatch a BG, with good shot placement. Don't fall into the lighter bullets are better trap ! ;)

Any of the above , even FMJFP's will do what you need in a SD senerio !

Good luck

CanyonMan

·
Code-7A KUZ769
3,251 Posts
Personally I see nothing wrong with the STHP load. One of the local PD's been using this load on their Sig P-220 for well over 20 years now.

·
Banned
6,281 Posts
Actually, the Win. Silvertip has gone through several "generations" and the newest (that I know of) started in the early 2000's. I got that straight from someone in their LE Ammo Division. Here's a test on their 9mm version that has been available since the mid 2000's:

10% Ballistic Gelatin Tests for:
Winchester 9mm 115 gr STHP

Testing Platform:
Glock 19

Barrier:
Four Layers of Denim

TEST RESULTS:

Round # 1:
Penetration: 13.25”
Recovered Weight: 114.0 gr.
Expansion*: .650 cal.
The biggest problem has been overcoming the legacy of the Miami Shootout and the misinformed.

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Not a fan of the Silvertips personally. I would have no trouble carrying 230g Gold Dots in your G30. If you are concerned about the shorter barrel there is a 230g short barrel load available.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Are Gold Dot 230's not supposed to be good for the 30s. I have not shot any but I they are my SD rounds chambered and ready.

·
Decap Pin Killa
18,083 Posts
Are Gold Dot 230's not supposed to be good for the 30s. I have not shot any but I they are my SD rounds chambered and ready.
Every gun is going to be a little different, but you're probably only losing 25-50 fps versus a full size gun. No big deal. I like the Gold Dots quite a bit, and it's rare for me to stray from 230's.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
HSTs if you can get them. +P preferably if you can shoot them well. Also look for anything that passes FBI ammo standards.
I've been having a helluva time finding 230gr. HST's, regular or +P. So until I find them (looking for a box of 50, not 20), I've been toting Underwood JHP/XTP 230gr. +P. I don't think you can go wrong with Underwood, and both my 21SF and 30SF like it.

Still going to keep looking for 230gr HST.

AK

1 - 20 of 56 Posts